Liverpool/Merseyside/Cheshire URWFRC

well, loads of other areas have one

43,201 to 43,220 of 43,398 messages
15/05/2012 at 13:01

Yesterday !!  I think he was on a lunch time flight Monday

TBH, I didn;t think much of the new course, it was an undulating rural road run, If we had run round Cheshire Oaks (sponsor) or along the sea front at Parkgate or over the Runcorn Bridge changing the course might have made sense, as it was it didn't bring anything to the party. the final couple of hundred yards from where I passed you sitting down were a nightmare it was so narrow.and then to have to walk back down to the race course for your bag.. It was OK Sunday the weather was nice, but if it had been raining or very cold it wouldn't have been much fun

We then had to walk back up into town for the bus to the park and ride.... Stood outside Habitat for 40 minutes at the end of a very long queue, before spendinging another fiver on a taxi......

and as for the "collect your goodies here" on the instructions, a bag of Haribo is hardly goodies  ....

15/05/2012 at 20:23

Not the http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18068652 holgs was hoping for

15/05/2012 at 22:21
Nope Holgs is going to suffer. Hiya b&l
IronM.in    pirate
16/05/2012 at 09:01

He is indeed!

No - everyone I have spoken to said much the same Dave, especially as the old course was a lovely and scenic one. It's a shame when sponsors get on board and make demands that essentially changes the face of an event for the athletes and not for the better. It was a great finish in front of City Hall, but yes, you are absolutely right about the long trek back to the car and the Park and Ride. I saw loads of people lining up for the bus - you wouldn't be happy.

16/05/2012 at 09:10

The taxi driver was annoyed that he hadn;t been able to leave his taxi at home on Saturday night as the road closures in Blacon meant he couldn;t have got out Sunday morning after 8am !!

The park and ride in with a bus every 5 minutes at 7am was great... a bus every 30 minutes when everyone was trying to get back out again didn;lt make mathematical sense...   £3:40 for the park and ride and a £5 for the taxi.. Turned into an expensive do

On a different note, I wore neoprene for the first time last night since the Bala Oly... and bl**dy cold it was as well... My feet were still blue wen I got home, Ended up with coffee in the hot tub rather than guinness

IronM.in    pirate
16/05/2012 at 10:17

Brrrr - my firend Carole id trying to exhort me to go Neoprene dipping - so far I have managed to wriggle out of it! Hard to make yourself freeze to death when you have no race in the offing! That said, I am really enjoying my aqua jogging and want to have a go of that in OW - I think it would be fun and it is definitely warmer than swimming - I actually break into a bit of a sweat in the pool. Nice!

19/05/2012 at 22:56

Its 22:55 uk time.holgs race time is 15:12:12 with 5.9k to go but i've got to go to bed ......

holgs ....YOU ARE A STAR ....... go the librarian

19/05/2012 at 23:02

15:50:30 - pictures and all

20/05/2012 at 16:29
He gives us. Lot to emulate ! Just had text from he that it was the worse bike course he had ever seen. Holgs has done it Min has done it Vivky might do it Dave won't !

Did 71 miles this morning in just ove 4 hours
20/05/2012 at 18:58

Saw his first split bike time and thought that he must have had a problem - when I saw his final bike time it kind of said it all about the course.

Ironholgs    pirate
21/05/2012 at 03:54

Thanks Guys.

It was a tough day but very rewarding, unless you've raced it you just can't imagine how tough it is. Even the run isn't flat.

The bike course can be very lonely, nothing to see, just lava, desert and the feckin big hills you know that await you. But to be honest it's the leg sapping hills that don't really register that hurt you the most. They don't feel like hills, and your average speed is shit ( yes mine usually is ) and it messes with your head.

The best way to create the bike at home - JUMP on the turbo, with a pile of my books under the front wheel to make a hill, crank up the central heating, pedal like fuck and get nowhere whilst your Mrs/Mr hold a hairdryer 2 inches from your nose, on full blast for several hours...only pausing to run to the industrial fan at your side, switch onto full and then for a laugh throw a bag inbetween said fan and you.

And that heat was something else - despite being smoothered in sun cream my arms, elbows and knees are covered in neon sunbunt and horrible blisters.

Right off to that there Londo at 8.30 for some book awards thing, catch up later in the week.

21/05/2012 at 09:42

Welcome back mate..... That was damn hard work shouting at IM Dead on Saturday night !  and I was back home by then not reliant on Keswick broadband !

Have fun tonight

22/05/2012 at 11:21

Well the sun is out, the sky is blue...... and last night night I unpacked my brand new fancy wettie......

Suppose I should go and make a complete prat of myself at Manley tonight ?

Tried it on last night and required rather a lot of "lube" to get the arms up etc......

22/05/2012 at 14:51

Sitting at home munching ibuprofen cos my back has gone twang again. Thats my triathlon plans on ice for another 6 months 

23/05/2012 at 08:54

made it out to Manley last night, Damn sight warmer than last week.

and I gave the new wettie a run out, felt good but the fancy vortex panels on the forearms have pulled at my shoulders..... new shoes on Monday, New wettie on Tuesday, wonder if I can get away with a new bike tonight ?

23/05/2012 at 11:50

Why not

Ironholgs    pirate
23/05/2012 at 12:59

Sorry to hear you are injured B&L, take it easy mate.

Go on Dave I dare you.

23/05/2012 at 13:02

Only if you promise to hold TLS down when she comes at me with something sharp !!

Ironholgs    pirate
23/05/2012 at 16:53

as if I'd have the strength to stop her at the moment.

Let me know which ward you end up on and I'll send Nurse Viking round with some grapes.

23/05/2012 at 19:51
Nurse Vicky ? I'd poke my own eyes out. Great 45 miles on the old Trek
43,201 to 43,220 of 43,398 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.