London Underground Staff Will Strike In Weeks To Comes

They will take 5 days of strike action over "Ticket Office Closures"

1 to 20 of 21 messages
17/04/2014 at 14:54

According to  The RMT Union.

17/04/2014 at 14:55

London Underground workers are to stage five days of strike action in the coming weeks in the long-running row over Tube ticket office closures.

London Underground workers are to stage five days of strike action in the coming weeks in the long-running row over Tube ticket office closures.

Members of the Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) union will walk out from 9pm on Monday April 28 for two days and again from 9pm on Monday May 5 for three days.

The first two days of action will take place ahead of a May Day event in London in memory of former RMT leader Bob Crow, and politician and campaigner Tony Benn, who died within days of each other last month.

The union claimed that long-running talks hosted by the conciliation service Acas, aimed at settling the dispute over the closure of ticket offices and subsequent job losses were "wrecked by a combination of management intransigence and the introduction of additional measures" the union said worsened the original plans.

17/04/2014 at 15:08

And your point is?

17/04/2014 at 15:10

Take the bus!

17/04/2014 at 15:12

I don't need to I don't live in London.

But when I go there, I always find the Underground staff very friendly and helpful and I hope they don't lose their jobs.

17/04/2014 at 15:17

Ditto

I just think those Ticket Inspectors are a bit cocky and the Underground Police are bit rude.

Edited: 17/04/2014 at 15:18
17/04/2014 at 15:19
Miss Jog wrote (see)

Ditto

I just think those Ticket Inspectors a bit cocky and the Underground Police are bit rude.

My OH is British Transport Police and he isn't rude.

Pudge    pirate
17/04/2014 at 15:50

Underground Police makes them sound like the KGB or something.

17/04/2014 at 15:58

Ha ha 

17/04/2014 at 16:39

"London Underground Workers are to strike from 9pm on Monday 28th April for two days and from 9pm on Monday 5th May for three days over ticket office closure"

Just a reminder Monday 5th May is  Bank Holiday May Day

I will miss the ticket office - it won't be same with out them!  

Edited: 17/04/2014 at 16:42
17/04/2014 at 17:37
Miss Jog wrote (see)

I will miss the ticket office - it won't be same with out them!  

No it won't

No having to queue for ages

No picking your way through long queues

Just use a self service machine, or get an Oyster card (I live 200 miles away and even I have an Oyster card)

I worked on a project a few year back that removed guards from Northern Line trains, Everyone said it would be terrible, the world would end, the trains would never run on time etc etc...

Anyone here remember guards on underground trains ?

Nope...

The times change (and Bob crow was one who couldn't)

17/04/2014 at 18:02

I remember when you could smoke on underground trains!

17/04/2014 at 18:03
I have a copy of the Kings Cross inquiry on my desk
17/04/2014 at 18:15

I also have an oyster card and I live nowhere near London.  I can't remember the last time I bought a ticket in London.  Usually I would buy one at the station where I got on, which was way outside the reach of the Tube

17/04/2014 at 19:48
Mr Puffy wrote (see)

But when I go there, I always find the Underground staff very friendly and helpful and I hope they don't lose their jobs.

Me too. But I understood (when this originally came out) that all the required redundancies will be voluntary?

I regularly use a non-manned railway station. Completely non-manned. Nothing very bad seems to happen as a result.

17/04/2014 at 20:13

I never use the ticket office either, I have an annual Oyster which I renew online. Even my in laws from Sheffield all have Oystercards.

The Washington DC Metro manages without ticket offices - I have a smartcard for that too.

And I get the feeling that talks may well be more productive now that Bob is no longer with us.

17/04/2014 at 20:40

I am just picturing Karen sitting on a train with a pile of her usual source material scowling up at the nice policeman who's asked her to stop reading it out loud to the rest of the carriage...

17/04/2014 at 20:41

Where's that like button?

17/04/2014 at 20:43

21/04/2014 at 19:36

I use my pay and wave credit card instead of an Oyster on the Underground. I'm taking part in the pilot to see how it goes. I can't remember when I last used a ticket office, so moving staff out onto the platforms and station concourse seems a good idea, where they don't have access to 24/7 tea and cakes (see the size of most of them?). Staff can help the public to use the machines - a bit like in the supermarket when people can't use the self service checkouts. It will be nice for them to meet Joe Public and make long lasting friendships.

1 to 20 of 21 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.