Marathon Running - On The Bus?

Anyone at Kielder on Sunday?

41 to 54 of 54 messages
13/10/2011 at 09:43
I couldnt do it.... especially at the 20 mile point. I'd never live that thought down...
Cheerful Dave    pirate
13/10/2011 at 10:05
On a similar note, the parkrun newsletter this week says that two people were spotted joining the runners near the end and going through the finish.  Cheating in a parkrun, FFS!
13/10/2011 at 10:07

He's brought shame to his club.

He should be given a stiff drink, a loaded revolver and told to tootle off and do the honourable thing...

cougie    pirate
13/10/2011 at 10:13
He's clearly a good runner - he won the 10k the day before.
Not many runners would race a 10k the day before a Marathon ?

seren nos    pirate
13/10/2011 at 10:14
Johnny Blaze wrote (see)

I couldn't accept a medal if I hadn't finished fairly.

But I'd have the goody bag

johnny I'm with you there.........wouldn't take a medal but would take all the rest if i didn't finish..........

one of my few DNF's I have had was at san dom year before last..........I had a lift back for the last 7 miles.......didn'y go through the finish chute.....so no times etc.....but went and got the t-shirt as theirs are my favourite t-shirts of all running races.........it didn't have finisher on it so i felt justified

13/10/2011 at 11:45
I presume he caught an earlier bus when he won the 10k race.

I suggest he should be immortalised in colloquial language.

"Doing a Sloane" = taking the easy way.

Bob Hope could now have a replacement: "I'm going to run a marathon next year, but I've got Bob Sloane of making the top three."
13/10/2011 at 11:48

I remember when I did the Schilthorn Inferno Half Marathon about ten years ago in Switzerland and getting to the 20K mark. I was just finished. Kaput!

So I caught the nearest cable car to the top instead. It would have been ridiculously easy for me to rejoin the race at the top and claim a medal but, as you say, I could never live with myself. In fact, it never entered my head. They did take sympathy and give me a T-shirt however.

But I do recall doing the Copenhagen Half Marathon many years ago before the days of chips on shoes. It was a figure eight course and many at the crossover caught the bus to just before the finish line. Oddly, they didn't seem to think there was anything wrong with this approach.

Edited: 13/10/2011 at 11:48
13/10/2011 at 12:47
I think it was Popsider................
13/10/2011 at 12:48
I think that Sunderland Harriers are in for a rough time - ding,ding, tickets please etc
13/10/2011 at 13:10
Sunderland Harriers - sponsored by National Express
13/10/2011 at 13:49
Regarding the guy in VLM, my guess is he didn't get someone to run the first 10k for him - I reckon he probably crossed the start line at Blackheath but couldn't be bothered to go out to Woolwich and back so took a stroll through Greenwich Park to the 10k point in 37 mins...
Edited: 13/10/2011 at 13:50
13/10/2011 at 14:20
Surely at some point on the bus journey he would have looked around at all the little old ladies and people with shopping bags and thought...Somethings not right here. To get on the bus was an act of desperation, to get off and start running again is madness!
cougie    pirate
13/10/2011 at 14:46
Aah Alfie - maybe you're right. I dont know the course well enough to work out shortcuts.

<makes note for next year>
13/10/2011 at 14:59
 Alfie wrote (see)
Regarding the guy in VLM, my guess is he didn't get someone to run the first 10k for him - I reckon he probably crossed the start line at Blackheath but couldn't be bothered to go out to Woolwich and back so took a stroll through Greenwich Park to the 10k point in 37 mins...

Good shout.  Short cut from the start line to 6-and-a-bit miles at Greenwich is my standard spectator route before heading over to the Docklands.  A barrel of lard going downhill would cover that in 37 mins, no problem.

(He wouldn't have a 5k split though...)

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 54 of 54 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.