Members Of The Public Yelling At Runners!!!?

Anyone else encounter this?

21 to 38 of 38 messages
10/10/2012 at 20:23

I went for a run back in March and everyone kept shouting at me as I passed them. I couldn't understand why at all.

Well, it may have been because at the time I was running the Lincoln 10k road race dressed as Superman. 

10/10/2012 at 20:45

We get the usual incoherent shouts from the yoofs in passing cars...I've come to the conclusion what they are actually saying is "goodness me, you look really good in lycra and run like an Olympian"  

I don't understand the "get those knees up" comments...why would I want to get my knees up, I'm not doing a 100m sprint or hurdling?  My shuffley run works perfectly well thank you very much.

I was out with the club a couple of weeks back, it was mainly women in our group that night, and we got peeped & waved at by some passing firemen...made a nice change.

10/10/2012 at 23:53

Funniest comment I got was when I was on the bike in full lycra and with a very colourful club top on, and a kid of about 12 shouted "does your wife know you're wearing her clothes". ?

I thought it was quite funny, but I've always wondered how he knew, as I'm sure her underwear wasn't visible through my lycra.....

Never had much problem when I'm running.

11/10/2012 at 09:47

Back in 2001 I was forced, due to the Foot and Mouth problems, to move my prep for the London Marathon from interesting rural routes to a boring out and back run down a long main road. 

Going out early every Sunday morning for a LSR never saw me in the best of moods, and there were a few occasions when cars would 'toot' me or the driver would shout something undecipherable out of the window.  So, after a few weeks I resolved to answer every toot with an Anglo-Saxon gesture in their rear view mirror.

It was about March when my Ops Manager asked me how my running was coming along as he'd seen me a few times recently and given me a toot !

11/10/2012 at 11:21

One dog walker heard to say at Rivington Trail Half last week - Ha Ha, a Half Marathon how stupid - I couldn't resist in replying, Ha Ha, a white fluffy dog, as we trudged through knee deep mud !!!  Its nice to not even see the response but wallow in my imagination.

11/10/2012 at 13:47

the movie 'run fatboy run' has a lot to answer for.

11/10/2012 at 20:16

Most disconcerting wasn't even running related.  I was walking up Battersea Rise on a Saturday afternoon when car came up from behind.  I heard a call of "Oih you!"  yelled with real venom.  I was the only one in sight so it must have been directed at me.  I avoided looking at car as it sped past, but could just see driver and mates making obscene gestures.  Absolutely no reason whatsoever as I was on the pavement on the opposite side of the road.  Just unfocused hatred and spite.

12/10/2012 at 10:56

Some guys in a campervan driving in the opposite direction once waved a sex doll at me. . . . .which was odd.

13/10/2012 at 03:37
Screaming out of cars, cigarette smoke blown in your face, lit cigarettes thrown at you outside pubs, snowballing, gangs blocking the pavement or stepping out in front at the last second, cheeseburgers thrown out of car windows, just a few of the bad ones i can think of. Milder stuff, knees up, who is winning, run forest, can we join you (and some do with beer can and cig much to amusement of chav mates) I find that my dog is a calming presence either people like him or they are afraid - both fine by me.
13/10/2012 at 20:06

I always wear earphones so my music drowns out any clever comments made by the chav community whilst running (plodding) the mean streets. I did however get stopped once by a Jehova Witness. I should've anticipated he was trouble as he was wearing a big gown/cloak thing and soon as I realised what he wanted I just started running again! Think I prefer the Chavs

20/10/2012 at 10:06

Its weird, but i wear headphones and yet people still shout out comments. They always do it in groups, and i bet by them selves, they wouldnt say boo to a goose. It probably didnt help out yesterday when i ran, that i was raining, and by mile 3 i had taken off my rain proof jacket and tied it around my waist, so there i was all sweaty, and rained on, wearing a singlet. I became a to good target for some arsewipe, to yell comments at.

21/10/2012 at 23:58

turned my ankle once and was limping home with a big old swollen one (ankle that is), and white van man drove past shouting 'run you fat c@nt' - Oh how I laughed at his rare earthy sense of humour through my pain

22/10/2012 at 19:15

If they start shouting at you as you run, then use this little technique to scare the poo out of them.

Stop running and march straight up to the ringleader.

Stare manically at him/her for 20 seconds then say "Start running, as my probation officer and psychiatrist have said that I have to count to 10 whenever I get the urge to pull out my knife and stab someone again." 

Follow this by another 10 seconds of menacing staring straight at the ringleader.

Chances are that they will think you are a complete psychopath and a nutter, and will scarper, leaving you to enjoy your run. 

22/10/2012 at 19:21
I like that idea Rickster!
22/10/2012 at 19:26

Get yourself an ankle bracelet that looks like an electronic tag to add to the effect.

22/10/2012 at 21:27

I sometimes run wearing a gasmask and have had other runners try to engage me in conversation on a run....I mean....really!

24/10/2012 at 19:16

Seems members of the public are dangerous (throwing things etc) not just abusive - never mind the ankle bracelet or gas mask, I'm going to run in one of them suit of armour things that knights wore. Wonder if they still sell them at Sweatshop?

25/10/2012 at 10:53
stoshus wrote (see)

Seems members of the public are dangerous (throwing things etc) not just abusive - never mind the ankle bracelet or gas mask, I'm going to run in one of them suit of armour things that knights wore. Wonder if they still sell them at Sweatshop?

A Lionel Ricie fan eh? "Running with the knight..." 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 38 of 38 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.