miss out on London marathon

anew way to get a place

21 to 40 of 48 messages
seren nos    pirate
18/10/2013 at 15:20
Wilkie wrote (see)

Fees have never been an issue at our club.

People pay on time, or I hound them until they do! 

I think every club should have you as treasurer..mind you must have a fairly small club if you only get one place....

18/10/2013 at 16:14

Very small - we have fewer than thirty members. 

Makes the Christmas party more manageable!  

18/10/2013 at 16:51

According to the press release they receive 170,000 applications, award 50,000 places and 35,000 start. 

seren nos    pirate
18/10/2013 at 17:04

I think there will only be about 15000 to 20000 ballot places...

they have GFA, elites, championships, running club ,charity, corporate places etc so not a lot left for the ballot in the end

18/10/2013 at 17:11

So lets say 30,000 of the 170,000 aren't ballot entries. That leaves 140,000 chasing 20,000 places. 7:1. 

18/10/2013 at 17:16

Some chasing faster than others, presumably.

18/10/2013 at 19:10

I don't think this would apply to VLM because there would be a massive public outcry but I don't understand why some races aren't like the Boston marathon and make you qualify before you can enter

20/10/2013 at 20:18

Qualify to enter - that's what the Good for Age system is - so VLM are part way there.

20/10/2013 at 20:29
^ just what I was thinking. If you are commited and put in the training then the GFA places are pretty attainable.
20/10/2013 at 20:44
kelvin chadwick wrote (see)

I don't think this would apply to VLM because there would be a massive public outcry but I don't understand why some races aren't like the Boston marathon and make you qualify before you can enter

Simple. If they made people put up any kind of qualifying before entering it would rule out 90% of people doing it for 'charidee' ....... even though if you asked them to run in the Scunthorpe Marathon to raise money you would find they were all a little too busy to raise money for charity that day. (no offense to anyone from Scunthorpe reading this, Im sure its a lovely town)

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
20/10/2013 at 20:44

Seren - you forgot the places allotted to foreign travel companies - I know about those because I've got in that way several times from Germany. You just have to book with the travel company that has the places, then you get a guaranteed start number, return flight, hotel, courier, and a bus to the start. On the down side, it's quite expensive though because they use top hotels and scheduled airlines.

seren nos    pirate
21/10/2013 at 08:06

good spot ironwolf......

lets be honest.without the charity runners and the celebrities london would be  a 2 hr race...the crowds and the cameras wouldn't stay after the elite race if all there was was average club runners running....

they get big sponsorship from that coverage and thats whyt the race is so cheap.......

the crowds and tv audience would get bored in 5 mins just watching hundreds of sweaty runners cross the line.they watch to see the rhino and the hula hooping girl......and to spot Jordan and her tits..........

It is what it is.......

21/10/2013 at 08:46

So basically Seren, youre agreeing with me that its a charity event masquerading as a running event ........which has been my point since day 1.

seren nos    pirate
21/10/2013 at 08:58

no its a brilliant race that has managed to incorporate 3 things.........a top elite running race.......a race for good club runners around the country to race each other.........and a chance for charity runners to have a go and to raise loads of money whilst entertaining the crowds.

and hopefully between them they can inspire others to think that they can have a go

not many people could organise something that can be everything to everyone .but they have managed to do it all

21/10/2013 at 09:04

1) Top elite - Check

2) Very good club runners - Check

3) Charity, do it once,never again runners - Check 

In amongst that, is there any room for the average club runners, you know the meat and potato runners (figuratively, not literally) who make up the vast majority of 'runners' in this country who may want to have a run in their capital city?

Far from catering from everyone, it seems they cater for the more extreme element while the majority miss out.

seren nos    pirate
21/10/2013 at 09:24

thgere must be very very few runners who have been a member of a running club running 3 times a week or more for 5 years and who have applied for london every year  and who want to run it that haven't had a place Mr A......

21/10/2013 at 09:34

What about those who arent members of a running club because they have long commutes so cant fit it into their schedule?

;)

21/10/2013 at 10:01
In other words you mean you, Mr A.
21/10/2013 at 10:02

I expect those people haven't got that much time to train anyway, Mr A.

21/10/2013 at 10:28

Your position really is nonsensical isn't it Mr. A?

On the one hand, for some reason, despite having one of the worst marathon times on the forum you seem to think you should have been allocated a place.

On the other hand you don't see the point in running marathons.

You can't even take a point of view and defend it!

Edited: 21/10/2013 at 10:28
21 to 40 of 48 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.