miss out on London marathon

anew way to get a place

1 to 20 of 48 messages
seren nos    pirate
18/10/2013 at 08:09

and you don't need to raise lots of money..no GFA time needed......you just need to enter another ballot

I love this idea to get 2 more places to runners......I noticed Parkrun are puttting the names in the ballot for everyone who runs or volunteers for 8 parkruns in a row from 26th october......

this should get people regulary running through the horrible autumn weather.only those who mange all 8 will be eligible for the draw......

I would think the odds are better than the original ballot itself....

I think more of the sponsors should organise things like this where people can enter for a place by proving they are actually doing some running 

XX1
18/10/2013 at 08:26

Perhaps more places should be given to running clubs and thus to runners...  However, agree that the Parkrun thing is a good idea.

XX1
seren nos    pirate
18/10/2013 at 08:34

our running club gets 2 which gives good odds as the most in our ballot for them has been about 8

18/10/2013 at 08:52
It is a good idea, but I seem to remember last year there were a couple of thousand parkrunners who did the full 6 (I think it was 6 last year?) in a row...so very low odds for 2 places. But it can only be a good thing to keep people going along on Saturday mornings
18/10/2013 at 09:08

Another way to get an entry is just to start a thread on here asking if anyone has a London Marathon place they don't want

18/10/2013 at 09:20

Or wait till the beginning of next year when the charities all get nervous because suddenly people realise they cant just shake their colleagues down for 2 grand, so start dropping the minimum raise level.

18/10/2013 at 09:53

Or wait till Mr A wins the tender to organise the marathon and introduces a much fairer system whereby anyone who can hack through the encrypted online entry procedure using their vast IT brains gets the place.

seren nos    pirate
18/10/2013 at 09:54

18/10/2013 at 10:35

My club gets one place.  

The two people who are eligible for it this year are currently both saying "you have it!" "No, you have it!"

At this rate we'll be having a draw for who DOESN'T do it 

18/10/2013 at 10:37

Question then WIlkie, can the club defer the palce til next year?

18/10/2013 at 10:37
PhilPub wrote (see)

Or wait till Mr A wins the tender to organise the marathon and introduces a much fairer system whereby anyone who can hack through the encrypted online entry procedure using their vast IT brains gets the place.

The Geeks shall inherit the earth!

18/10/2013 at 10:38

p.s am I the first person to use the working quote function since they fixed it?

18/10/2013 at 10:39
Grendel3 wrote (see)

Question then WIlkie, can the club defer the palce til next year?

Once the club has allocated the place to an individual, it's up to the individual to complete the application via the  VLM portal (by some time in January I think.)  So after that time it's just an entry like any other, and if the individual wants to defer they can.  (That's my understanding anyway.)

18/10/2013 at 10:41
Mr A Nonymous wrote (see)

p.s am I the first person to use the working quote function since they fixed it?

Sorry Mr A, someone got there 19 minutes before you, on the "The quote function is working again" thread.

18/10/2013 at 10:43

oh yeah, wasnt paying attention ...... some of us are busy working you know. We dont have time to talk about VLM's and Adidas Boosts and the like.

18/10/2013 at 10:44

What Phil said.  However, if neither of the eligible people want to do it in the end (I rather think one of them WILL do it), we will probably open it up to people who wouldn't normally be eligible.

Our rules say you have to have been a member for at least a year, and have entered the ballot and been rejected.  

I guess we would waive one or both of those requirements for this year.

seren nos    pirate
18/10/2013 at 15:07

similar to ours wilkie.........but you have had to have paid you fees on time.ege by 31st march and then ben rejected.........

good way to make sure more members pay promtly and have had to be amemeber therefore at least 6 months prior to the draw

18/10/2013 at 15:14

I applied to a charity who had 2 places. There were 12 others who were in their ballot. I understood the odds of the main ballot were 1:7 or 1:9?

18/10/2013 at 15:15

Fees have never been an issue at our club.

People pay on time, or I hound them until they do! 

18/10/2013 at 15:16
TimR wrote (see)

I applied to a charity who had 2 places. There were 12 others who were in their ballot. I understood the odds of the main ballot were 1:7 or 1:9?

Its a figure that is bandied around, but I dont think anyone has definitive proof of this.

1 to 20 of 48 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.