Missing Maths Teacher

News

121 to 133 of 133 messages
03/10/2012 at 08:56

If he's been persuaded either by lust or as he would have us believe the love of his life to abscond with an underage girl, then he clearly is a danger, ad KK he is a paedophile by that definition. 

His internal moral guide is not working correctly, this is a difficult one because how do you differentiate between a girl of 15 yrs and 364 days to one 16 yrs and 1 day? however the line is deliberately drawn to clarify this, and he has crossed the line.

If it were open to debate and the interpretation of the law etc, rich paedophiles would walk, whilst poor ones would feel the full force of the law, at present it should capture most. 

03/10/2012 at 09:51

Just as a point of fact I don't think being attracted to 15 year olds is technically paedophilia - I AM NOT SAYING IT IS RIGHT - just that it doesn't make him a paedophile - well not according to wikipedia anyway.  

03/10/2012 at 09:58
Exactly, by definition he is a paedophile. The trouble is that word has become another form of abuse to throw against people. When we were kids we didn't know the meaning of the word. The kids hear it from their Sun reading parents and throw it as a term of abuse at anyone who dares to tell them off for vandalising the phonebox.

But what is a paedophile. Someone who has sex with underage girls 15 years? Sex with 6 year olds? Someone who thinks about it? It's a blanket term that does no good to use.
03/10/2012 at 10:09

it is not a black and white situation, more like 50 shades of grey.

03/10/2012 at 12:23

It will never be black and white but in order to have some semblence of law and order there must be a limit beyond which you must not go, and setting 16 as the limit is that point. He can't claim he didn't know this, and so he (like everyone else) will be defined by whether or not he goes further than that point. Whatever you call him it is up to you.

03/10/2012 at 14:42
Sometimes things aren't black and white. But teacher/pupil and adult/under age seem pretty black and white to me!

And my understanding of peadophiliia is"attraction to children". Which she is. Therefore it makes him that. I think it is important to name him as such, as otherwise we get into this thing of "ahhhh, but she's not pre-pubescent so it's not too bad. Easy mistake to make" rubbish that does not excuse abuse.

Anyway, I rant about this stuff quite frequently. I might stop doing it online now.
Dark Vader    pirate
03/10/2012 at 14:57

kaffeeg..  I don't think anyone is disagreeing with you, but its not necessarily as black and white as you suggest...   we have to wait for the facts to come out...  for example..:

• what if they deny having had any sexual contact..?
  • what if she says that he never took her, but that she had run away from home of her own free will and that hi decision to go too was a last minute decision of his own - ie: it wasn't planned by him?
  • what if she defends him on every charge..?
  • the fact that she is almost 16 does change the circumstances rather than if she had been 12, and there is plenty of case law to show that the Courts are more lenient.  It doesn't change his responsibility as a teacher, but if there is no sexual contact then the charges against him are presumably less severe?

If its actually been more innocent than it looks, then I can see him walking away without a prison sentance.   He has been stupid and his career and reputation is done in, and that is something that is now probably irrecoverable...

03/10/2012 at 15:21
Dark vader:
I'm sure all the things you put in above could be said by him or her. But how does that make this and less black and white? That just shows the difficulty in trying to prove cases in courts and getting convictions, or even being able to charge someone with something.

My orginial point was in response to you asking if she was guilty in any of this. And my firm view that he knew he was doing wrong (whether or not he will admitt that to thew policegin court).

And if we're all agreed - then great!
03/10/2012 at 16:07

The fact he has broken the law is black and white - the punishment he deserves is not - I think that's the real point of argument.   I imagine most of us (if not all) agree that he knew he was doing wrong - but probably differ on the degree of wrong that was done.

Edited: 03/10/2012 at 16:07
03/10/2012 at 16:52

I think he's innocent until proven guilty? With this amount of guilt assumption will a fair trial be possible?? I don't think what has been read in news reports counts as evidence...

03/10/2012 at 17:23
Peter Everitt wrote (see)

I think he's innocent until proven guilty? With this amount of guilt assumption will a fair trial be possible?? I don't think what has been read in news reports counts as evidence...

I think he's guilty.

04/10/2012 at 06:03

Of course he is already guilty, he went abroad with a known minor, against her parents wishes. Therefore he's technically guilty of an abduction, as to whether or not they had sex it's immaterial, he has breached a fundamental Teacher/Pupil relationship and so will inevitably end up jailed, sacked and blacklisted for the rest of his days. 12 months from now he'll be on a protected wing, and she'll be about 17 starting a new life at college, with new friends and he will be conveniently forgotten, while she giggles about the time she was in the news. Sad, cynical but true. Let's hope it's lessons learned.

04/10/2012 at 07:43
There was a piece in the paper yesterday that he was detained under the European arrest warrant for child abduction, and if Sussex police / CPS wish to charge him with anything else they have to get the permission from the French magistrate in Bordeaux

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
121 to 133 of 133 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.