Modern day heroines for future generations

Are there any?

1 to 20 of 39 messages
20/02/2013 at 14:10

Off the back of a thread that was posted last week about actions of 'pretty women', I got to thinking about the sort of messages modern famous women are giving to our daughters.  In the other thread I listed a number of women who, as a child, I looked up to and admired - strong, powerful, intelligent, forthright women who stood up for what they believed in and generally fought adversity and social stigmas to achieve their goals.

Looking at today's media however, I'm struck by the lack of such women being portrayed to our children and instead see a mass of Barbie doll sycophants who would happily sell their grannies (because their own bodies are already on sale) to get one step up the 'celeb' ladder.  I know strong women are out there but they seem to be completely overshadowed by negative female images.

So, who were your female heroes and who is there for the next generation of women?  Doesn't just have to be sports women.

20/02/2013 at 15:19

Aung San Suu Kyi

20/02/2013 at 15:20

and a whole host of female artists.

Hadn't thought of sports people.

20/02/2013 at 15:23
Aunt San who?
20/02/2013 at 15:24
Difficult question, a woman makes it for whatever reason then does what? Glams up for a photo shoot and I'm thinking hard
20/02/2013 at 15:30

Aung San Suu Kyi MP AC is a Burmese opposition politician and chairperson of the National League for Democracy in Burma. In the 1990 general election, the NLD won 59% of the national votes and 81% of the seats in Parliament. Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aung_San_Suu_Kyi

http://www.amnesty.org.uk/content.asp?CategoryID=11780&gclid=CJ2Es_aZxbUCFY3LtAodEmAA8Q

20/02/2013 at 15:41

Fawzia Koofi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fawzia_Koofi

Or Kristen Hersh for being the musical genius that she is.

20/02/2013 at 15:45

Katie Price

20/02/2013 at 15:54

Jane Tomlinson for raising so much money for Cancer Research whilst terminally ill herself.

Mother Theresa for helping the poor.

Jessica Ennis for showing dedication to her sport.

seren nos    pirate
20/02/2013 at 16:03

not sure you could ask our generation for the answer.................what we think would be different from the youngsters coming up..............

when i was young maybe it was feminists or sports people or popstars that we admired........but then my parents might have thought they were idiots and should have been home raising their families.......

you need to ask the teenagers now who they admire.....

seren nos    pirate
20/02/2013 at 16:04

i can't remmeber admiring any women or men when i was growing up........to be honest.......

20/02/2013 at 16:09

Malala Yousufzai, the pakistani girl shot in the head by the Taliban for advocating education for girls even after they'd threatened her and her family.

20/02/2013 at 16:17
Seren I'm slightly like that, I find people intrigue me more than impress me, and I always felt that hero worship from afar was wrong and pointless. How can you admire someone you don't really know?
20/02/2013 at 16:17
Rob Walker 12 wrote (see)

Malala Yousufzai, the pakistani girl shot in the head by the Taliban for advocating education for girls even after they'd threatened her and her family.

+1

Martine Wright

Michelle Obama

20/02/2013 at 16:29
seren nos wrote (see)

i can't remmeber admiring any women or men when i was growing up........to be honest.......

Same here.  Never really had and heros or heroines.

Today's women in the spotlight seem mostly to be famous for being famous, rather than for achieving anything (except making a shed-load of money, or having a father with a shed-load of money).

seren nos    pirate
20/02/2013 at 17:11

i think that has been similar through the decades.it was the singers and film stars and royalty that made the headlines..............

the popstars and filmstars were all controlled by the studios.they were usually just puppets...and royalty were controlled by a different machine

20/02/2013 at 17:31
I think some of the BBC news readers like Susanna Read and Nagga Munchetty are smart, intelligent women to be admired. If you watched stuff like the One Show and saw bimbos like Alex Jones and Christina Bleakley you could be forgiven for thinking women are boring, one dimensional, straight haired, over made upped eye candy put there to compliment men who have a bit more about them. Don't blame the women. Blame the people who put them on our screens when better people must be available.
XX1
20/02/2013 at 17:33
Maggie Thatcher :~}
XX1
20/02/2013 at 17:44
D2D ?
20/02/2013 at 17:52
Remeber 10'clock live. Jimmy Carr, David Mitchell and Charlie Brooker with intelligent takes on the weeks news. Smart funny comedians. Ok so which women can we put with them? Ignore the talent we have and give us Laren Laverne. What an insult to womenkind.
1 to 20 of 39 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.