Money isn't an object...

21 to 24 of 24 messages
16/06/2012 at 12:43

If money was no object I would set up a charity to help all those poor unfortunate orphan banks. We see news reports by Michael Buerk reporting on the famine in the City of London, but what do we do? Nothing not a thing. Banks are people too. They deserve your money.

17/06/2012 at 21:12

I'd hire a personal trainer and a chef to help me lose that stubborn stone.

I'd also like to buy a big, beautiful house and turn it into a writer's retreat.

18/06/2012 at 12:54
Ultra AJH wrote (see)
I'm a scientist, I work in research and money being no object would mean I could actually do my job properly rather than scrabble about for funding all the time.

I wouldn't give it up I worked damn hard to get where I am.

I am boring as fuck obviously

Tigerspaw wrote (see)

I agree with Ultra AJH - but then thats probably because I am a scientist too !

I run my own business and the 'scrabbling about for money' to keep body and soul (and a roof over my head) is a familiar feeling.

Money being no object would mean I could set up my own research projects, maybe invest in training new graduates along the way, and I would probably do something like setting up a bursary system for students from poorer backgrounds.

It would also of course mean no more worrying about paying the mortgage, and open up a whole new world of travel and ultra racing opportunities.

There seems to be a very selfish element in business today, bankers and hedge fund managers spring to mind, for example, who will screw anybody over to make more money. Nobody ever told them that money isnt everything - does having a bigger car make you a better person? These are shallow meaningless things IMO.

I think of Carnegie and Titus Salt, and other people of their time, these people knew how to make vast fortunes, yet also had enough foresight to invest back into their workforce, whether that meant giving them better housing conditions or setting up funds for education.

A recent Euromillions winner donated a few hundred thousand to a local charitable trust where I live - they were about to have to shut down completely - this money gave them a lifeline .

These two. The idea I (and some others) could work free of the fear of loss of funding would be nice. Funding students appeals to me too.

I know a research company that was set up as a semi-hobby. That sounds like fun. They're also bloody good at what they do.

Ironholgs    pirate
19/06/2012 at 09:21

I'd pay someone to train for me.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 24 of 24 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.