Monty Python reunite

21 to 26 of 26 messages
22/11/2013 at 07:47

Flogging a dead parrot imo.

i don't blame them and lots will enjoy it but I'll be staying away.

22/11/2013 at 14:20

never really liked the TV series but Life of Brian and also the Holy Grail were good.

O nthe last point , Spamolot was brilliant.

Monty Python is an acquired taste so not everybody will like it but there is not doubt a one off will sell-out. The audience will want the old stuff and the fact is that if they do some of the original sketches then the audience will do most of it for them! Spamalot was more like a pantomine really with the audience fully engaged and participating.

So if you like it then great and if you don't , then don't worry about it. Its not as if it is even going to be on TV and therefore might take time from something else you would rather see.

Good luck to them.

22/11/2013 at 16:05

I see that a recent version of Spamalot had Les Dennis in the King Arthur role. There's your Graham Chapman replacement then

22/11/2013 at 18:34

Loved the original series when they were first shown. At the time it was hilarious and genuinely different to the standard sitcom fare (some really good, some bad, some dire) that was around at the time.

However, when it was repeated about 10 years ago, I have to say it had dated very, very badly and was embarrassingly unfunny at times...

So I think this has all the makings of a very big mistake.

Oddly, unlike say music or cinema, humour doesn't seem to generally age well.

25/11/2013 at 10:27

You couldn't repeat it, it was classic in it's day, but basically it was the most un-PC show imaginable. How could you possibly convert it to today's sterile comedy standard.

02/12/2013 at 03:47

Hope the reason they are doing this is because of decent material they have written, not tax bills to pay 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 26 of 26 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.