Most dangerous Job/Sport/Hobby

41 to 46 of 46 messages
24/03/2013 at 18:35

How huge pay are we talking "OW", and can I say that;s a very apt name for this thread!

100k a year? More?

Can't do a lot with that money when you're dead.

Blisters    pirate
24/03/2013 at 22:55
kittenkat wrote (see)

Saying that people just do dangerous jobs because of the money is bollocks in many cases. Go and actually talk to people who save other people's lives and expect a few punches when you accuse them of money grabbing.

Sheesh!

Kittenkat speaks wise words.
Construction work in general terms is something that you do if you are practically minded. Pride in the job is what matters. The majority of people really don't understand the huge emphasis that we put on safety management. Safety is no Accident is one of the best slogans posted around the sites. It's also flogged into people so much that you start to believe it. And then you start to implement it. There is a difference between common sense and paperwork. Though people perceive my role to be paperwork, I'm a total cynic at heart and would rather see common sense and pride in the job. Impractical management suggestions and Cover Your Arse risk assessments are no replacement for competence.

It's not the money. It's what we do, because otherwise someone else would have to do it, and they wouldn't be as good. Same as in any job.

If you've got to do some repair work on the motorway, for example changing all the light bulbs on a mile long stretch, you have to set up the safety system in stages. Advance lights to 50 for 2 miles. A team of 4 in 3 trucks to pre-lay the signs on the  verge, and walk them across 3 lanes to the centre. Back around the junctions.
3 trucks then (traffic flow permitting) stop in Lane 3 with just big F-OFF lights to set out the initial taper. Then it's deemed to be a bit safer, and the main drag of cones can be placed. Back down to the next junction and up again. Then you can do the other side. Radio the all clear. After that the 2 guys in the lighting truck can get on with their work. Each column takes 5 minutes, so that's a lot to make a full shift.
Then your cone guys can go through a repeat dance to clear the road. When it's finally and fully clear, they drive it all to confirm and radio to get the 50 lights turned out. Most of this work is done between 9pm and 5am.

If you don't see anyone actually inside the closure, you might spot a cone lorry going the other way. Of course, it might just be that the road is closed because it's protecting you, the motorist, from hitting some hazard in the verge or hard shoulder. Mostly, the works are advertised on the Highways Agency website. Obviously this excludes those occasions when some tit has fallen asleep and wiped out a few barrier beams on the central reserve. I suppose that it's better than wiping out a few families heading southbound.

There's a lot of work near us at the moment putting in concrete central reserve barriers. It's a slow job, but the big advantage is that they don't need to be repaired.

25/03/2013 at 10:19

Blisters- In the US if you speed past road worked your fine is doubled. So they have cottoned on.

1-14 for cave divers is about spot on actually. Even this weekend I was in GB cave on mendip and it was nearly flooded and we got out just in time. Had to shuffle on backs through a foot of water with your lips nearly pressed on the top of the tunnel that was just wide enough to fit down. Seems daft and its scary but the buzz afterwards, looking back is amazing. Plus its usually a lot to do with camaraderie as well of experiencing these near misses. It's the close knit community that is appealing. You will find that in most extreme sports and this is another pull for people.

25/03/2013 at 11:07

I've just come back from a week's skiing in Chamonix including a couple of days of ski touring at the end.  the avalanche risk at the time for the touring was 4/5 due to heavy snowfalls earlier in the week but we were with a mountain guide who's advice you have to trust but we were fine.  but during the week we heard of at least 5 deaths in the area - 2 were at least due to incompetence and stupidity, the others due to falls or avalanches.

as a skier of nearly 30 years you accept that the sport can be dangerous when you go off-piste and away from resort areas - that's part of the thrill in going where the crowds aren't - and you take all necessary precautions but at some time shit might happen.  

our guide had had a bad fall doing some extreme skiing - she accepts the risks and tries to minimise them but she knows that the chances of being killed as a mountain guide is very very high as it's a dangerous environment and a number die each year in mountain accidents.  a guide we climbed Mt Blanc with died in an avalanche about 4 years ago.   

mountains are risky places - I guess it's the open air equivalent of cave diving in some ways!  I'm much easier in the mountains than caves and while I can see the attractions of cave diving it's not for me!

and if you want a truly barmy sport - even our guide agreed on this - look at wing flying.  basically it's base jumping but with a winged suit that allows you some "gliding" properties.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wingsuit_flying.  loads of YouTube vids of it around.

thrilling - sure. highly dangerous - you bet.

25/03/2013 at 11:46

See I said Skiing originally. It doesnt appeal to me at all because falling over a lot is painful but I know a bloke who is paralysed now because of Skiing. Believe it or not he was hit by a skiing instructor so hard it paralysed him, so its not just the obvious that get you!

25/03/2013 at 11:54

I've had my share of skiing falls including fractured elbows (both arms at different times) and a broken jaw when I hit a rock face first (low speed tumble as well!) and I needed a helicopter rescue to the local hospital for surgery (thank dog for great insurance that covered all my costs).   yet in nearly 30 years playing rugby I never broke a bloody bone!!

I just make sure I minimise the risk skiing as much as possible - like not bloody falling over!!!  but it can happen even to the best skier

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 46 of 46 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.