Mundane thread

41,001 to 41,020 of 48,552 messages
10/12/2012 at 19:30

That's quite concerning Mouse Has he seen a dietitan? There are nutritional support supplements that can be used to encourage weight gain. Food is obviously better, but they can make a huge difference. And ultimately, well-being is the key thing. I can recommend some things if you'd like? Please let me know if I can help...

10/12/2012 at 19:32

I got dumped on these http://fortisipdrink.co.uk/ they are a bit yuck but pretty effective 

10/12/2012 at 19:46

Ha ha X-post with Bookie 

10/12/2012 at 19:47

There are lots of variants to Fortisip - some nicer than others! And lots of alternatives too. I've tried most of them

10/12/2012 at 19:55

I've got D some buildup and complan. I also give him some of my protein shake. It is really hard to get him to eat anything. I have thought about forticreme etc or buying some high carb drinks. It's just so difficult to get him to eat anything.

Eating hurts him. Things like snickers, cheesecake etc are easier as they don't hurt. He tries to eat pasta but doesn't eat much as he can't cope with the pain.

Warm drinks are ok, not hot or cold but water appears to be out. Maybe this just shows how many of his calories came from beer and coffee. (probably just that when I'm not there to nag him he doesn't eat). Other problem is, I bought him some vitamin and mineral tabs but he won't drink them because he says he doesn't like 'taking stuff'. he doesn't really get that at the moment he needs too. It's a constant battle and he is being very 'male' about it all.

10/12/2012 at 20:05

Mouse - I know I'm being nosy, but what exactly is the diagnosis/cause of the pain? That'll make it easier to work out if there are particular constituents of foods that are likey to cause pain.

Pre-empting meals with painkillers can help with managing pain associated with eating. How is D with taking prescribed things as opposed to over the counter? Some people are very good at taking notice of 'professionals' over and above friends/family, even if the advice is identical. 

As always, feel free to tell me to mind my own business

10/12/2012 at 20:18

Evening.  I was just about to type "phwoar to Saffy's yummy sounding muffins" but thankfully stopped myself just in time when I realised how it sounded.

Gosh those cranberry and cream cheese muffins sound delicious Saffy, may I have the recipe?   Actually, in all seriousness, can I?

Tommy if I can have Phili with garlic and herbs you can have Primula

On the inappropriate texting front, the work phone is being switched off and hidden from lunchtime Christmas Eve to 28th December, then again the following week.  I'm only likely to send inappropriately affectionate texts, but even so.

Yikes Mouse, how quickly did that weight loss happen?  Glad there are some wise people on here to help him.

10/12/2012 at 20:21
I'm sorry Mouse when you have referred to D's pain I assumed it was his back.
10/12/2012 at 21:05

Sorry to hear about D, Mouse.  I really hope the consultant can do something.  men shouldn't be 9 stone.

I've had a weeping left eye all day.  I have no idea why.  Otherwise it isn't sore or itchy and only a little bloodshot.

I went to Body Balance again this evening.  It felt much easier than last time and I don't feel quite as unfit as I did, although I have a way  to go before I get back to where I was.  My shorts were rather too tight though, and kept riding up.  Once upon a time I used to like my legs

10/12/2012 at 21:22
Bookie, have you tried nutrini energy?
10/12/2012 at 21:57

I haven't tried Nutrini Energy - that's a tube feed, and most of my sampling has been of the sip feeds Have you tried it? It doesn't look at all appealing! 

10/12/2012 at 22:01
It's foul. Little moo has it 3 times a day. You can use it as a sip feed. It smells revolting too.
10/12/2012 at 22:05

Really? I've never prescribed it as a sip feed. It's not designed to be palatable! Why isn't Little Moo on a regular sip feed? And why is she on a feed? My nosiness is coming out again... 

10/12/2012 at 22:09
Moo ( male) is gluten, lactose and nut intolerant and weighs 10kg. He is 33 months old.
10/12/2012 at 22:11
Last winter he kept getting poorly and dropped weight like nobody's business and that was on NG feeds
10/12/2012 at 22:22

Oops, for some reason I assumed moo to be a female name. I blame it on knowing Moo Moo who is definitely a lady

Poor little chap! Does he manage any other food?

10/12/2012 at 22:29

Sarah - D has an infection of the lining of his stomach. He was prescribed pantoprazole. This was after taking omeprazole and lansoprazole. He's had a biopsy and been tested for H Pylori (the latter of which came back -ve).

We think, without knowing for sure, that the pain is as a result of taking the ...prazole medication as each one has made it worse not better. This needs further investigation - could be that his body is reacting to the reduction in stomach acid by producing more, hence causing more pain. It appears to be something that can happen. He has also become very constipated on the medication. Although not taking anything now the pain has not got any better.

He is taking 500mg paracetomol every 4hrs just to get him through the day. He is not sleeping as he is in too much pain  discomfort. He can't cope with having the duvet on him as that hurts. He's just in a lot of discomfort. He does only eat after taking paracetomol. He has got some cocodamol but wont take it as he is worried about the side effects. I'm worried about the amount of paracetomol he's taking.

10/12/2012 at 22:30
Loads. Moo likes food he eats steak, salmon, asparagus, ox tail, passion fruit, lactose free super vintage cheddar
10/12/2012 at 23:11

Oh dear, that does sound difficult

I'm going to send you a message Mouse.

11/12/2012 at 06:04

Morning all and Mundany hugs all around, 'cos sometimes life gets harder than we expected.

*Puts kettle on*

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.