NaNoWriMo

anyone else doing it?

1 to 20 of 67 messages
30/10/2010 at 13:47

Title says it all really. Thought if there's anyone else signed up we could support and encourgae each other.

I've signed up for the first time this year, got a regional meet up tomorrow for launch day. I've not written fiction since college, or anything longer than a quick letter since I graduated 10 years ago.

I've got a load of background notes, character profiles and a good idea where I'm going, just hope it doesn't all fizzle out by the 8th!

30/10/2010 at 13:52

??????????????????????????????????

What on earth are you on about?

Farnie    pirate
30/10/2010 at 14:11
http://www.nanowrimo.org/

thankfully I am on a mobile device so you have been spared the sarcasm of lmgtfy
Farnie    pirate
30/10/2010 at 15:39
31/10/2010 at 10:57
Me! I'm doing NaNoWriMo
31/10/2010 at 11:31

I this idea!

But I can't help feeling it could be a bit disastrous for my other work - the amount of time I spend on here is bad enough already!

31/10/2010 at 15:11

Just got back in from my area launch meeting. Buzzing with ideas about how to keep going, and met some slightly mad people. Can't decide now whether to stay up till midnight and start or wait till tomorrow morning.

Sarah, are you active on the NaNo forums? I'm Kwilter42 over there if you want to buddy me.

01/11/2010 at 16:22

If you're going to write a novel, take a year over it, not a month.

A novel written in a month is likely to be garbage.

Edited: 01/11/2010 at 16:23
01/11/2010 at 16:36
anon wrote (see)

Can I use this if I credit you for it?

Kwilter with a K wrote (see)

Just got back in from my area launch meeting. Buzzing with ideas about how to keep going, and met some slightly mad people. Can't decide now whether to stay up till midnight and start or wait till tomorrow morning.

Sarah, are you active on the NaNo forums? I'm Kwilter42 over there if you want to buddy me.

I've not used them yet, but I'm stbookworm  

01/11/2010 at 17:27

Once upon a time there woz lyk a small nitid monkey.

The end.

01/11/2010 at 17:28
anon wrote (see)

And your point is?
05/11/2010 at 14:25

I thought my point was clear from my comment. A month is too short a period for most people to write a worthwhile novel in, and there's no point in writing a crap one.

if you're going to write a novel, unless you're a procrastinator it doesn't make sense to subject yourself to a restrictive time constraint, and rushing. Instead write it slowly and give it as long as it takes to write well.

05/11/2010 at 18:49

Gosh, Anon, I didn't realise you were a published author as well as a running expert. Can I PM you for advice? Where can I buy your books from?

How many people say "oh I'll write a novel someday". This is a kick in the right direction. If it offends your sensibilities, call it a first draft, and then spend the rest of your life editing it.

As for me, I've not written a word of fiction since A levels in 1986, I'm loving every minute of NaNo. So far, I've killed one person, given another a miserable death of phthisis, sent a couple to the workhouse. My word count is a smidge over 10K.

05/11/2010 at 19:07

I've killed lots of people so far

It's fun, this writing lark

06/11/2010 at 08:46

It doesn't "offend my sensibilities" at all. Your time is your time: use it in whatever direction you like. You only have so much of it, then you're dead, so a month is quite a lot in fact (about a 1/840th of your life maybe ) and you could usefully ask if you might be using it better, rather than jumping on a bandwagon which dictates an arbitrary and illogical timetable.

You asked me a question about my comment, so I answered it. I have simply pointed out that rushing out a novel in a month is a barking up the wrong tree. The process of writing a novel isn't about speed, it's about getting the structure and content entirely right first of all, taking it in slow, planned stages with the entire story thought out in advance. If you rush it, particularly without a plan for your novel, you'll get the wrong skeletal structure: you can't correct that easily later.

Yes, you can treat your product merely as a first draft if you want. But, to quote Hemingway, "The first draft of anything is shit." Some shit is harder to convert into useful product than other shit.

" I've killed lots of people so far" -- "So far, I've killed one person, given another a miserable death of phthisis, sent a couple to the workhouse." -- i.e. You're producing unplanned, inauthentic, cliché-ridden tales which will interest very few people at the end of the day. But it's your time. Use it as you want. If you're wasting time, fine, that's a principal habit of hardened forumites anyway. It goes with the territory.

06/11/2010 at 09:37

Ian rankin recently talked about writing a novel in 40-50 days.  Other writers also get the words down in that time.  Some take many years.  There is no rule book.

"The process of writing a novel isn't about speed, it's about getting the structure and content entirely right first of all, taking it in slow, planned stages with the entire story thought out in advance"

Anon, that´s a pile of horseshite, you simply dont know what you are talking about.

06/11/2010 at 09:50

You're making a lot of assumptions Anon. When did I say I'd not planned my writing? Who said the deaths and entries to workhouse were unplanned and inauthentic? I'm writing about the lives of people in my family history, lives which I've spent nearly 10 years researching.

As I asked earlier, and you've chosen to ignore, where can I buy your published novels? Whose creative writiing classes have you taken? Quoting Hemingway doesn't make you a literary critic you know.

06/11/2010 at 12:13

E-mail me the finished product on 1 December, Kwilter.

06/11/2010 at 12:18
bos1 wrote (see)

"The process of writing a novel isn't about speed, it's about getting the structure and content entirely right first of all, taking it in slow, planned stages with the entire story thought out in advance"

Anon, that´s a pile of horseshite, you simply dont know what you are talking about.

It isn't a pile of horseshite.

Have you read "Story" by Robert McKee, bos?

06/11/2010 at 12:40
Sure, what's your email address?
1 to 20 of 67 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.