New Ironing Thread

aha! usurping General

21 to 40 of 47 messages
06/09/2002 at 18:40
Our cat is Hamish.
She's a girlie.
Don't ask.
06/09/2002 at 19:33
Barkles - I just had to take the bait. Do you have a transsexual cat then?

Dayla - there is no known way to remove cat hair from clothing or household furniture. Let it become a way of life.
06/09/2002 at 19:38
My cat is called Spooky
Yes he is black

Buy the way - I find tumble drying the fitted sheet means ithat it dosn't have to be ironed - especially if it goes straight back on the bed without hitting the airing cupboard
06/09/2002 at 20:19
Hildy
No we thought it was a fat tom till it gave birth to kittens - buy one get two free!
06/09/2002 at 20:41
I don't have a Cat.
06/09/2002 at 20:56
Three cats, Holly, Pendle and Spook. Don't know if cats can burp (someone asked that question earlier) but two of ours could vomit for England.

If you think cat hair is bad, come visit some time when the horse is losing his winter coat. Unbelievable.

You guys iron bedclothes?? Life's too short. Do you do socks and undies as well?
Trogs    pirate
06/09/2002 at 22:24
Our cats are Opuss and Scute(pronounced scoot). Can't quite remember how we arrived at Opuss (possibly "oh puss") but Scute is cos she's-cute and she scoots around the place like a loony.

As for ironing fitted sheets, are you completely deranged Tim? Never iron anything you can get away with leaving.
06/09/2002 at 22:35
For picking up cat hair, I use those roller things with adhesive. The downside is that each refill costs five quid, and I can easily use one a week trying to keep my work suits vaguely presentable.

Finding a method for fitted sheets is the Holy Grail of the ironing world. I think there must be a method involving making small folded squares at each corner, then folding into a larger, storage size. But I hear Tim already, perfectionst of the ironing world, pointing out that the elastic in fittted sheets makes them intractable to immaculate ironing results.

Maybe they should be banned. I always preferred hospital corners anyway.

DC
06/09/2002 at 22:45
yeah, it's amazing what you can find in the corners of hospitals.
I should know, I spend alot of my time in such places
07/09/2002 at 09:55
While we're on sheets, please tell me none of you use polyester ones.
07/09/2002 at 10:06
ah .. so back to ironing .. and I thought you were all digressing somewhat
07/09/2002 at 10:19
I ironed my sheets once. It was in 1984. It took me all afternoon. It made no difference to my bed experience. I have never ironed a sheet since.

DON'T IRON YOUR SHEETS, TIM. IF YOU'RE REALLY STUCK FOR SOMETHING TO DO WATCH SOME PAINT DRY- OR EVEN BETTER GO FOR A RUN.
09/09/2002 at 12:09
Tim

You need help. I once lived with a girl who ironed her knickers. You would have liked her.
Now she's an incredibly rich banker with 2 children. She doesn't speak to me anymore.
There's a moral in there somewhere
09/09/2002 at 12:35
Tim - there was some good advice in Saturday's Independent about ironing shirts - I must remember to bring it in for you. Regarding fitted sheets - just don't have them.

DD - I have to say that if I need to iron my knickers in order to become incredibly rich, it's a sacrifice worth making in my opinion....
Iron SwissBobby    pirate
09/09/2002 at 13:09
Johnny Spanish punctuation

┬┐Quiene he se tirado pedo?

¡Siempre estaba el perro!
09/09/2002 at 14:09
Barkles - oh dear lord, you mean you never checked your cat's sex upon purchase/adoption? Ha ha, serves you right! Actually, that reminds me of the Shetland pony that gave birth to a foal that was half Shetland, half zebra - and the owners hadn't known that she was pregnant.

Hey Tim - a serious ironing question for you. I have a spot of candle wax in my carpet - is it true that one can iron out wax blobs (from clothes too)?

But that still doesn't solve much, since I don't own an iron.
09/09/2002 at 15:40
I tried the hot water, but to no avail. I once tried it on a pair of jeans, and it worked. Oh well, it's just a student accommodation, and I'm moving out in two weeks anyway.

In English, forums is the plural of forum. As for the Latin, I don't know Latin (as detailed in previous threads), but Ratbag and Barkles do.
Iron SwissBobby    pirate
09/09/2002 at 15:44
to get candle wax off clothes place a piece of brown paper on the item of cloting and iron normally.
09/09/2002 at 15:46
You could try heating the wax spot with a hairdryer set to hot, and absorbing it into some kitchen towel or cotton wool when it melts.

I haven't actually tried this, just deduced that it should work by considering the properties of the materials involved. It's a lot more interesting than what I'm meant to be doing.
09/09/2002 at 16:17
Good suggestions, but I don't own a hairdrier either, and candles are techinically illegal in my accommodation. But the cleaner loves me, so it won't matter really.

Tim, if you try to wax in sheets experiment, you might wake up and find that all of your body hair gets ripped out. Ouch!
21 to 40 of 47 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.