Nice Little Runs in Sutton Park

Beanies R Us

14,601 to 14,620 of 14,701 messages
26/08/2011 at 09:48
The thing is Pman I'd have like to do the cheaper and nicer kenilworth next week or the Lake Vrnwy but as I have been all undecided and only running a little I missed the entry and they are full ( few elite places left at Vrnwy) . I realise everything costs more but it's clear the big city ha;fs and marathons are run for profit - or why bother? I know they make sounds about charity but only a tiny fraction ever gets there.

As Carol says - I either pay up or shut up , no use watching the news on the day and wishing I had done it. I wonder if I'll get a turkey in my goody bag to go with the utterly bizarre cranberry sauce last year!

Even though I've been gym training ,short runs ,cycling etc and I feel fit and well I struggled badly on wednesday doing 10 miles in the park. Even the shuffling long runs on holiday didn't really help. I ran 6 miles on Monday as well. I've been training more than ever but I worry about this Wolverhampton half.

I'm sorry to hear you weren't able to go full time with the PO - it's a very tricky time, doing our Labour Force Surveys we are seeing shocking levels of unemployment even in previously good employment areas like Uttoxeter. It's upsetting sometimes to hear the peoples stories. I don't know what to suggest to anyone.
26/08/2011 at 17:43

MH - I tend to avoid the big races now as the prices have got stupid.

Decided on a hill session this morning. Did 12.5 mins warm up, 12 x 50secs hard effort uphill with 80secs jog down, about 12 mins back. Good session and managed to get sun on me and rain at the same time!

31/08/2011 at 15:03

Hmm, struggled on Sunday. Set out to do 15M as a last long run before the Half. Had to stop after 10M, really tired legs leading to a dull ache in the right adductor. Havent had a problem with that for a lnog time. Was fine up until then as well. Rested and went out again this morning and did a gentle 4M and all was well. So, fingers crossed that training is back on track.

I'm hoping to get to a little meeting tomorrow of a small group of runners who are planning a not-for-profit Bristol Marathon on 27 November. Just an idea at the moment but entries open in a few weeks time. They are thinking of maybe 200 runners at most, possible free entry and maybe paying for a good t-shirt instead. No route planned yet but it would be good to take in thhings like Ashton Court, suspension bridge, etc. I'll let you know what happens if I get there. Meanwhile check out bristol marathon on facebook or google amarathonforbristol

01/09/2011 at 21:00
Hey MH rich is wondering if you want a lift on sun. He's going on his own and would like some company. Hope you're good x
02/09/2011 at 09:38
That would be a great idea - I have to say though after an 11 miler in New forest I am woefully unfit. I won't be cracking round like we did last time we ran together round it.

Still it wwill be a good laugh if not hard!
02/09/2011 at 11:14

Best of luck to you guys.....looks like it's going to be a warm  1           

02/09/2011 at 12:45

Nice one Mike will text you later with time ect after i check what time it starts , think it's a 9.15 start .Will be nice to have a run out together again,first one since i've been back running so should have loads to rattle about.

Will come and get you from yours and drop you back no probs.

Have a good run all

02/09/2011 at 12:47
Mike , what time do you think we should set out if it is a 9.15 start for us to park at the Wolves ground ?
02/09/2011 at 12:50
Cheers John
02/09/2011 at 20:55
Pman - that is a great idea , thats how the Birmingham and Black half started. I can see more stuff like this as prices get really silly. I wish I had your fitenss for Sunday!

John - cheers , I'm worried enough about walking after 11 miles anyway!

TR - That'll be great - it'll take about 35 - 40 mins to get there, I have always parked on Landsdowne road rather than Moulineux , saves a long walk to the start/finish. But we can see what happens on the day. We should allow for a walk from Molineux if it's packed.

I'm worried about how slow I'll be , I have seriously lost fitness and I'll be starting real slow and doubt I'll be in very much under 2 hours. if I start slow and have energy left later I'll enjoy it so much more.
03/09/2011 at 10:49
I've PM'd my number to you TR
03/09/2011 at 18:36
Well I'll have comfy feet tomorrow - I had to buy some new trainers earlier , my old ones have come apart. They seemed OK last Sunday but I had run the 3 miles down the shingle beach at calshot. I didn't check them when I took them off. It was probably climbing the huge wooden barrier that is situated on the beach to seperate a private length of the beach which I was trespassing on to get back to the van. The problem is the barrier is almost un climbable and it's right by the Nudist beach so you can't hang about when climbing - it's embarrassing!

I really hope TR doesn't run too fast - he'll be waiting an awful long time for me at the end!
04/09/2011 at 19:47
What a great morning! Thanks to Richard for taking me - it was great to have the company. Sorry I wasn't up to running round like last time but though it took me 2:04 I did enjoy it and feel not to bad now.

I have entered the Brum half this afternoon, it's going to be on C5 as well according to the website. We can't do the Canal canter - carol can't change her day off which is a shame as she was really up for it even though we have the ponton plod the week after!

We'll have to get plenty of training in for the plod - we don't want to be followed by the sweeper.
05/09/2011 at 07:39

Cheers Mike had a great time also, was nice to catch up with people i had not seen for nearly twelve months. rattled for the first nine miles then got my head down on the hilly last four miles to get in in 1:45 .Must say the medal this year was crap,bit of tin with a sticker on, Mike gave his away to a little girl, did make me smile.

Got my Birmingham half entry in also so with a bit more speed work should enjoy this one too.

Enjoy The Ponton Plod , cant do it this year. Our next run out will be Open to Offers (LDWA) .

Have a good run all and Well Done RC on her run out at Little aston 5 miler .

05/09/2011 at 13:57

Good to hear you enjoyed it MH. And TR seemed to have fun as well by the sound of it.

Did a steady 9M yesterday at just under 8min/mil pace. Enjoyed it and felt strong. Not going out today but will do another speed session tomorrow then a mixture of paces for the last few runs before the race on Sunday.

06/09/2011 at 15:11
Got absolutely drenched this morning! Went out and did a good speed session but it chucked it down. Still managed 10 x quarter mile sprints with 0.1M rec jog and it felt great as long as I ignored the rain. I suspect the warm down bit was quicker than the warm up!
07/09/2011 at 15:17
Did an easy 6M today in 52 mins, so nice and gentle. So why did I feel worse than I did yesterday after a hard speed session? Bloody body!
09/09/2011 at 12:54

Good Luck for this weekends race Peaceman  enjoy Bristol Half .

Going for a nice steady 13 miler this afternoon over Barr Beacon then a local five in the morning before my full fry up .

Have a good run all

11/09/2011 at 14:18

Congrats to PM for a cracking time at Bristol Half  today!! Get on here and show off PM!!

12/09/2011 at 12:36

Alright RC, if you insist!

Very, very pleased with the Bristol Half yesterday. It was hot and quite windy, blue sky and lots of sun. But managed to finish in 1.38.29, my best Half time for 5 years! I finished 1040th out of 8854 runners which I think puts me inside the top 12% - bloody hell! In my age group I was 61st out of 559. Sorry to write all this but I cant quite believe it!

Anyway, nerdy stats: 7.03, 7.08, 7.11, 7.14, 7.17, 7.06, 7.21, 7.18, 7.26, 7.30, 7.55, 7.56 with the last bit at 7.36. So I started to slow up towards the end but still didnt go over 8.00 so a tad chuffed. My garmin measured 13.3M but thats normal allowing for overtaking, moving across for drinks, etc. The 13.1M is the direct route (wish it had been painted on the road!).

Mind you, Southville's best performance was our guy who finished 80th in 1.19 and our best woman was 127th in 1.22 and was 15th lady. This training must be the right thing to be doing! 

14,601 to 14,620 of 14,701 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.