Nick's household tips

Things to do and things not to do

1 to 20 of 262 messages
18/02/2014 at 14:58

To do - When you use a microwave at times the condensation that forms on the walls can carry smells from the food you cook, if you wipe the walls down straight after use with a clean damp cloth and then dry you will have a fresh microwave for much longer.

To avoid - on the other hand microwaves are dangerous items in the wrong hands, never switch one on with your head inside, this will not only burn you, it may be that your head is actually cooked before you can reach the stop buttons. This would require you to bypass the door safety switches but I think it is still relevant.

seren nos    pirate
18/02/2014 at 15:02

hang clothes or fold them straight after drying...means its much easier for the husband or children to do their ironing

18/02/2014 at 15:06

Boil a slice of lemon in water for a couple of minutes to get rid of fish cooking smells..

18/02/2014 at 15:06
seren nos wrote (see)

hang clothes or fold them straight after drying...

.....means you don't have to iron at all.   Honestly, no-one notices.

18/02/2014 at 15:12

Clean dirty marks off walls with Blu Tack or a rolled up bit of bread (don't eat the bread afterwards).

Don't do what my nan used to do and put vinegar in the ketchup to make it go further...

18/02/2014 at 15:14
Peter Everitt wrote (see)

Boil a slice of lemon in water for a couple of minutes to get rid of fish cooking smells..

If you've made lemon posset or similar, my strong advice is DO NOT boil herrings to remove the lemon smell

18/02/2014 at 15:23
Nessie wrote (see)
seren nos wrote (see)

It works for me 

(I also only buy clothes that don't need to be ironed.)

18/02/2014 at 15:24

Nick, I'm sure that boiling herrings WOULD get rid of the lemon smell.

18/02/2014 at 15:26
ghost of kittenkat wrote (see)

Do household chores you dislike very badly, eventually whoever you live with will get exasperated enough to do it themselves.

Nb: This may not work if you live on your own.

You've been talking to my husband, haven't you?

18/02/2014 at 15:41
Wilkie wrote (see)

Nick, I'm sure that boiling herrings WOULD get rid of the lemon smell.

Yes I think on reflection you're probably right. However it would not be my preferred method of masking

18/02/2014 at 15:51
seren nos wrote (see)

hang clothes or fold them straight after drying...means its much easier for the husband or children to do their ironing

On the subject of ironing you could just simply buy clothes 2 sizes too small for you, they would not require an iron at all, the ironing board could be converted into a handy little surf board for some light hearted fun in the current floods

Edited: 18/02/2014 at 15:51
18/02/2014 at 16:06

Why not Screama?

I put balsamic vinegar into ketchup.

18/02/2014 at 16:22

Because it becomes all vinegar and no ketchup -  I like vinegar but ketchup is supposed to taste of tomatoes 

18/02/2014 at 16:24

Ah, I just add a little.  Can't find Heinz's balsamic ketchup any more.

seren nos    pirate
18/02/2014 at 16:25
Wilkie wrote (see)
Nessie wrote (see)
seren nos wrote (see)

It works for me 

(I also only buy clothes that don't need to be ironed.)

i never iron......and its up to the family if they want to iron there stuff or not.....most of it doesn't need if it is folded right

M...eldy    pirate
18/02/2014 at 16:29
ghost of kittenkat wrote (see)

Do household chores you dislike very badly, eventually whoever you live with will get exasperated enough to do it themselves.

Nb: This may not work if you live on your own.

Oh it does ... eventually the neighbours get sick of the smell and come round and do it for you

18/02/2014 at 16:39
Cinders wrote (see)

Ah, I just add a little.  Can't find Heinz's balsamic ketchup any more.

That would make a difference. My nan used to use quite a lot - until the ketchup was virtually vinegar in a ketchup bottle. Mind you, she used to boil tinned peas as well...

18/02/2014 at 16:41

My mother in-law does a good job of stopping my sofa floating away, other than that she's pretty useless.

18/02/2014 at 16:47

When my mum was rabbit sitting for us whilst we were on holiday, she decided the oven needed cleaning. Admittedly it did. Unfortunately she was so vigorous that she dislodged the inner glass of the oven door. The whole inner door needed replacing at (part only) £120!

My tips are:

1. Don't leave parents unattended in the house.

2. Get a cleaner thereby removing any arguments about household chores.

18/02/2014 at 17:00

Knocked over a glass of white wine onto your carpet?  No problem!

Liberally apply red wine to the affected area, and you can be sure that all evidence of the spillage will be gone.

1 to 20 of 262 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.