No booze January.

21 to 35 of 35 messages
14/11/2012 at 12:56

What if I dont want to ? What if I am happy to continue to have my couple of beers on a Saturday and Sunday night, have I a problem ?

14/11/2012 at 13:18
Rickster wrote (see)
carterusm wrote (see)

I've cut down dramatically over the last few months but I have no desire to give it up totally even if it's only for 31 days. I dont think I could even if I wanted to. So, even though I dont exceed the recommended weekly allowance Rickster does that mean I still have a problem ?

Well if you can stop for 31 days it shows you can do without. 

Who set that arbitary figure?  I gave up for nearly two weeks once.  Surely that shows I can do without?  Why do I need another 2 weeks on top to prove it?

In fact, i know I can give up.  I know that if tomorrow I was told that if I touch another drop i'll die, i'll never touch a drop again.  The point is, I like a beer or two at weekends and when i did try and give it up for a fortnight I just got really bored of drinking tea all weekend long.

It wasn't so much a case that I couldn't carry on for another two days, I just really could not be arsed to.

Edited: 14/11/2012 at 13:18
14/11/2012 at 14:07

My dry spell will be mid December to hopefully 24th March . Working over Christmas and New Year  and then serious training culminating in TP100. Basically I know if I carry on drinking then I have to train more to compensate so essentially I am being lazy. But achieving my goal is more important to me than a few weeks of having a drink as much as I enjoy it.
Whether anyone stops or not is entirely personal and we all have different reasons.

20/11/2012 at 15:10

I'm thinking of doing mid-jan until April. Not because I feel the need to do it, just because it'd save me a bit of money and help with training in that time. I did it last summer, was a bit more awkward because it was summer but heh, I felt good for it.

20/11/2012 at 20:55

I'm up for it!! I bounce if I'm drinking or not! T I double ger!!

20/11/2012 at 21:04
I give up alcohol every now and again. A month isn't a big deal temptation wise, it's just difficult to remember that I'm not supposed to be drinking. I'll do a few weeks, then go out with friends and have a drink.

An east resolution is just not to drink at home which tends to work for months at a time.
21/11/2012 at 16:00

I might join in with the no booze Jan. It's usually a quiet month for me anyway, no big birthdays or parties for friends/family, so no compulsion to go out drinking. I could probably extend into Feb without feeling too much of a social pariah.

21/11/2012 at 17:18

the trouble is that soft drinks are just so awful.

21/11/2012 at 18:07

I agree that soft drinks are awful. If I'm cutting back or on no booze I try and stick with beetroot juice/spring water and a slice or two of lime. Works wonders especially when served in a wine glass. I do miss my glass of the red stuff so.  Am now into the second week of no booze just to prove to myself that I can do it. However looking forward to Friday night with mates from work when I am definitely going to enjoy a couple of pints of the black stuff!

21/11/2012 at 19:13

Not that its booze...... but I am cutting down on tea and coffee, I have had only one cup of tea this morning first thing, no coffee, instead fresh ginger and a lemon slice in hot water it is totally lush, just keep topping it up with boiling water!

21/11/2012 at 23:10

Good call GW. That combo should keep your immune system on a high.

22/11/2012 at 04:28

I have tried a few alcohol free beers (I know if it's alcohol free beer is it really beer - there is a word for that but it's early, misnomer,contradiction??), the Becks one is pretty good. Some quite good flavoured fizzy waters about too.
I'm in my second week too but only because I am offshore! Will be offshore Xmas and NY so won't have to worry about being tempted by the usual festive excesses

23/11/2012 at 16:35

are there any alcohol-free cask ales?

03/12/2012 at 21:03

Oh sod it lets all get trollied!!

03/12/2012 at 23:22
I love getting drunk... But will probably skip booze til mid march when it's my best friends birthday... No point in trying rest of December, peer pressure will be too much!!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 35 of 35 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.