No television.

21 to 40 of 88 messages
26/10/2012 at 11:11

Actually, the licence fee is worth it in its entirety for The Thick of It.

26/10/2012 at 11:13
I wondered if that was true Dude. Did anyone ever see one? Did anyone ever know anyone who worked for one?
26/10/2012 at 11:16

perhaps they were invisible.

they certainly didn't work in Fife as i watched telly for years undetected

26/10/2012 at 11:17

When I was living in student digs I never had a telly, and it was genuinely the most fun few years of my life. That said, I wasn't just sat alone watching the walls, or reading in private, every night was a party or even just a game a cards or something, with some booze and interesting chats. it's not that the lack of telly was the reason life was such fun, it's just that my life didn't need a telly for entertainment at that time.

these days i roll in from work, knackered usually, and often find myself just switching on the box for company if I get home before my gf, which is pretty sad, but i don't like to be in the house when it's silent.

26/10/2012 at 11:18

If you drive up and down the country, past farmers' fields, you never see anyone working. Do farmers exist?

26/10/2012 at 11:19

I don't have a TV and never have done.

Just ignore all the letters from the licencing people. They have no real legal standing, are aggressive twerps. They harass you annually to get you to sign to say you don't have a TV licence. You don't have to do that. You can just tell them where to get off and they are not allowed to contact you anymore.

If there are TV detector vans they don't use them because they won't work these days and it'd be too expensive to find anything that did. It's part of their bullyboy tactics to scare people into buying a TV licence.

The only way you can get done is to admit that you watch TV without a licence.

I watch TV at work, I like crime but I can read ya know.

26/10/2012 at 11:21
Peter Collins wrote (see)

If you drive up and down the country, past farmers' fields, you never see anyone working. Do farmers exist?

I see farmers when I'm out, you just have to catch them early.

26/10/2012 at 11:23

I love the silence of being on my own with no tv, no radio etc. And when I do watch, I like to choose a programme, turn on the tv, watch it, then turn the tv off again. Can't stand channel hoppers and people whose tv is always on whether they're watching it or not. I lived without a tv quite happily for ages a few years back and I'd do it again in a shot apart from my OH who likes to have it on from when he walks in the door after work right up till he goes to bed. Grrr! In his defence, he's quite badly dyslexic so can't enjoy reading the way I do. Still, I wish he'd take up yoga or quiet contemplation or something...

26/10/2012 at 11:24
I've seen farmers working lots of times Peter you rapier witted townie you ;o)

Heir Mouse- It's not whether the technology works now but whether it ever existed in the first place. Was it just an myth created by the BBC to scare us into getting licences?
26/10/2012 at 11:24

We could take this the whole hog and complain about the way books did for those wonderful travelling story-tellers....

26/10/2012 at 11:36

i see farmers..

which is surprising because farmers aren't claiming to be sitting on a tractor outside my flatto find out if i am eating supermarket potatoes.

Edited: 26/10/2012 at 11:40
26/10/2012 at 11:45

When I was a squaddie, some years ago, we had standing instructions in the guardroom for the duty shift in the event of a TV licence van turning up. We had to keep them waiting for as long as we needed to ring and tip off the Naafi, the Ossifers' Mess and the Sergeants' Mess, and then let them through.

It never happened when I was the duty NCO though.

The barrack blocks and married quarters flats were full of people watching telly without a licence.

Edited: 26/10/2012 at 11:46
26/10/2012 at 11:48

Thought I'd better warn you all that a TV licence internet forum thread discussion detector van has just pulled up outside my office.  I'll try to keep them busy...

WiB
26/10/2012 at 11:48
Peter Collins wrote (see)

I have even seen them working on a weekend!!!

WiB
26/10/2012 at 11:49

Cpl Phil, to the mess, at the double ... move it, move it, move it ...

Edit: sorry, forgot to add - you 'orrible little man ...

Edited: 26/10/2012 at 11:49
26/10/2012 at 11:54
the dude abides wrote (see)

i see farmers..

which is surprising because farmers aren't claiming to be sitting on a tractor outside my flatto find out if i am eating supermarket potatoes.

the dude abides wrote (see)

i see farmers..

I think my point was more about whether certain things exist if you don't ever see them, including tv detector vans, than about their morality or otherwise...

26/10/2012 at 11:56

Ah, but if you can see a detector van and then turn round so you can no longer see it, does it still exist?

26/10/2012 at 11:59

If a detector van falls in the forest...

26/10/2012 at 12:05

i know, but thanks for clarifying.

and to clarify, i do not think they exist. that's not because i haven't seen them, but because the idea is ludicrous. they must think we are kids to believe such twaddle.

26/10/2012 at 12:08

Farmers?

21 to 40 of 88 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.