Nocturnal Sweating

Wife wants solution (chemical pun there)

1 to 20 of 30 messages
09/09/2002 at 12:30
Hey Tim,

We girls do tend to get night sweats around menstruation time as your body temperature rises just before your period starts. Older women get the same around the menopause.

Shouldn't think it's running related.
09/09/2002 at 12:37
Sorry Tim, thought you meant your wife was having night sweats! If it's you then you've probably got a guilty consceince!!!!
Only joking ;-)
09/09/2002 at 12:37
Perhaps she just has the hots for you ...

:-P
09/09/2002 at 12:41
try cold shower before bed, read a book about icebergs just before lights out, if that fails dream about chunks of ice jumping over fences!!!
09/09/2002 at 12:44
Are you a duvet man or a sheets-and-blanket man? (What a personal question!)

Try just have a sheet on its own, or a really lightweight duvet.

What about - er - what clothes you sleep in? (I can sense this thread could go off at a tangent if we're not careful....)
09/09/2002 at 12:47
think Amanda p has a point here, think your duffle coat, tog 15 duvet, heating on full blast late night curry are not helping. though they do say that no matter how much u run/how fit u r people still sweat almost same as before??
09/09/2002 at 13:02
Do what we do - two single duvets - Mr P gets the thick duvet with extra blanket(s) on, I get the skinny one (I like having cold feet, I can't bear them covered up by the duvet so I always stick them out at the bottom).

This has the added bonus that I don't get left with one tiny little corner when Mr P has wrapped himself up in the other 95%.....

09/09/2002 at 13:09
hmmmmm, think Mr P gets nights out in the pink limo on a regualar basis for quilt stealing!
The problem with sharing duvets is men are hot and women are cold (normally, and only in a sleeping sense), maybe you should try having one of those fans on a stand wirring above your body all night.
09/09/2002 at 13:29
My 4.5-year-old is mostly dry through the night but sometimes she gets "sweaty" - her euphemism for wetting the bed.

Tim, are you trying to tell us something?
Mij
09/09/2002 at 13:43
try sticking your bum out - you'll be suprised how much heat you can radiate that way!
09/09/2002 at 13:48
Do any of your children join you in bed? I know from experience that they are jolly effective little radiators!

Do you eat too late in the evening? Has this sweating come on suddenly? Do you keep the windows open? If you have really thick curtains in front of open windows, can you pull the curtains back a little to let some fresh air circulate?

I do think you should try the thinner duvet or sheet option as it certainly works for us.

BTW this must make for a lot more washing and ironing for you? Is that why you are doing it at 5am?
09/09/2002 at 13:49
Tim

Re the sweaty image on the bed, is someone sneaking in during the night and tracing you with a sponge? Or maybe you've got some strange form of stigmata? Worth considering.

Neil
Mij
09/09/2002 at 13:56
Blotting paper.

Take several layers, hold them together with sticky backed plastic sleep on them, and set your alarm for 5 mins before the good lady wakes up. Then simply pull the paper with offending "stigmata" out.

Plus if you hang it up to dry you can reuse it again!
Mij
It may not work but after two weeks the wife will stop complaining about the sweat!
I reckon it's all down to how you iron those fitted sheets mate.
Thus connecting two threads - value for posting or what?

The solution - simple repeatedly blame your wife unitl she accepts it's all her fault. She will then leave you alone to 'glow'.
WildWill    pirate
09/09/2002 at 14:07
Wear socks in bed – thus tricking the body into thinking it is warmer than it is (because your feet are normally the coldest bits) – it will then cool quicker reducing over sweat and give the added bonus of helping you nod off quicker due to the cooling down of your body

PS don’t base a thesis on this theory

Will
09/09/2002 at 14:07
Have you got interior genital as well?
09/09/2002 at 14:15
Tim, perhaps it is the advent of the so-called male menopause? Hot flashes and such?

And actually, they do already make a double duvet where one side is thicker than the other - saw one in Boswell's a while ago.
09/09/2002 at 14:23
I'm afraid I didn't take note of the duvet brand, as I was actually after some pillows at the time. Hope you find one in any case.
09/09/2002 at 14:58
Tim

Its the boxer shorts - sleeping in the buff is the only solution.

Semi-seriously, I have the same problem and I would recommend:

1. Keep the window open at night.
2. Keep some water by the bed for rehydration.
3. Fill the bed with sand and buy the wife a surfboard - no reason why she shouldn't enjoy it!
1 to 20 of 30 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.