Now I'm Really Glad I'm not a Horse!!

High Hopes and Euphoria

9 messages
18/09/2002 at 23:35
Well having gone through the mill over the last 9 months with physios / podiatrists / osteopaths / RW doctor / video gait analysis / chiropractors and sports masseurs,suddenly - as of tonight - there's hope - and I'm so glad they didn't shoot me last May!!

I mentioned to my physio tonight that at Vyrnwy I did the whole 1/2M with a HR of 195. He stuck me straight on a treadmill (he's not seen me in action before) and now everythings falling into place - I hope. Apparently I'm very fit :-) but work anaerobically almost all the time - starving my quads of oxygen - hence so many problems everytime I do a long distance.
There's a lot of correction work ahead of me - to try to get my gait right - but suddenly there's hope that I can start going forwards instead of sideways.

Having had the video gait analysis done at Salford - which led to the orthotics which have cured - so far - the shin splints - I'm a bit amazed that they didn't also pick this up - but it just goes to show that everyone has their area of expertise and few cross out of it.

So thankyou to all the 'old' forumites who helped me through a really dismal time last May - thanks to Oldbones who's leant me his HRM which led to this discovery - and thanks also to Ron Grover (see General re Sean Fishpool's HR in simple English) who's pretty confident that despite all of this he can get me to complete a 1/2M by Christmas at 10min/m pace - and possibly sub 2hrs by next Easter. The odds have fallen from 66/1 to 25/1 !

Do RW realise just what an amazing forum they've got here - used by truly amazingly helpful runners ?

Thanks again - and as Drew said - hold on tight to your dreams!
19/09/2002 at 00:04
Didnt ELO say that too?
OB
19/09/2002 at 10:27
That's Bostick's loss!!
19/09/2002 at 10:29
Jolly Godd SS. You'll be well chuffed.
19/09/2002 at 10:34
SS,

Excellent news! Glad to hear things are at last moving in the right direction for you! Hope all goes well in the build up to Christmas.

I also liked the fact that you praise your orthotics. There are a few orthotic cynics out there and, as a wearer myself, I like to hear stories of their success (not least to justify their cost to myself!) I've had mine nearly two years and I have so fewer injuries now as a result. Despite their cost, I'd recommend them to anyone.

DW
19/09/2002 at 10:36
SS
Does this mean you will no longer be riding roundabout horses in a Mary Poppins Stylee?
19/09/2002 at 10:59
That's great news SS. I think you had a pretty groovy gait actually!! I'm really sorry I didn't get to chat to you properly at wonderful Vyrnwy - my parents turned up to surprise me. Are you bringing your new gait to Stroud 1/2(end Oct)?

OK everyone ignore the photo - all will become apparent later.....
19/09/2002 at 11:02
SS - its me - Longdistancebadger - honestly!!
19/09/2002 at 11:18
Blimey, I bet your anaerobic threshold is virtually at your max then. Recommend LSD (no, long slow distance in this case). Brilliant to hear of your progress, not you ever deserved shooting in the first place.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
9 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.