obeying the rules or not

what would you do?

21 to 35 of 35 messages
26/08/2011 at 17:24

I can't really see the problem - surely if you are willing to flout the age limit (and who wouldn't be) then you should be happy telling him to lie about his age - it's no good getting moral about things when you are both happy to go along with breaking the rules in the first place.  

If it was me I'd just take him along and tell him to lie though - who does it hurt ?   I reckon the last thing the venue/promoters want is someone turning up and then being truthful about being too young - they've only put the age limit on to cover themselves not out of any concern for your son's welfare.  

26/08/2011 at 17:40

When venues put age restrictions, it's often as much to do with alcohol licencing laws and they 'might' be more inclined to enforce it (I'm thinking places like O2 Academys, which tend to be a bit 'corporate' anyway).

Since it's clearly not the venue themselves that are bothered in this case, it's probably not something they'll put much effort into enforcing on the door.

Edited: 26/08/2011 at 17:41
26/08/2011 at 17:45

Interesting.  When I posted I did think there would be more people saying 'rules is rules'.

And more sneering at anyone actually wanting to go to see the Kaiser Chiefs.

27/08/2011 at 12:27
Just to update,   tickets arrived this morning with strictly 14+ printed on them so I wont be able to plead ignorance on the night.  So it's plan B , lies and deception.
27/08/2011 at 13:08

I can't imagine an accompanied 12 year old will be questioned. A group of 15 year olds without an adult is much more likey to have to prove their age.

If you're happy taking him and he's responsible enough to not wander off in a crowd of people I wouldn't worry.

27/08/2011 at 14:36

cheers Alybea.   We were just looking forward to going as a family, with an 18 year old and a 12 year old its getting more difficult to find things all to do together. 

27/08/2011 at 18:00

Since when did a cut off ever exist for 14 year olds?! Seems quite a token age requirement there.

I'm sure most people have done something regarding tickets that's not 100% allowable "By the book", but in reality is completely acceptable.

Using someone else's ticket for a football game for example. Something that is paid for, but not strictly allowed by the club, but something noone is ever gonna check.

Can't have any problem with what you're trying to do..especially as you booked in good faith

What i did find odd to handle, was being at the Inbetweeners film the other night, and seeing 2 parents rock in with their clearly underage teenagers (15 certificate). 

I can't get my head round why either party would want to be with the other for a film that is pretty much all sweary filth!

!

Edited: 27/08/2011 at 18:01
27/08/2011 at 18:25

When I was a teenager I'd have been mortified to be seen with my parents at a concert (or pretty much anywhere, really).

So not cool!

27/08/2011 at 18:37
Steve - very funny sweary filth though.

I am 'thinking' about introducing my young teenage son to the inbetweeners as a life lesson - I will not be staying in the same room as him while he watches though - I am not hard core enough for that.
27/08/2011 at 22:37
Wow is about all I can say, im surprised so many people seem to be at ease with the dishonesty and the values it teaches the child.
Says so much about society.
27/08/2011 at 22:43

Is there much difference between what a 12 year old would know and a 14 yo?? I mean, is there much anything that a band would do or say that a 14 yo would understand that a 12 yo wouldn't ??

Does that make sense

28/08/2011 at 00:58
Squeakz wrote (see)
Wow is about all I can say, im surprised so many people seem to be at ease with the dishonesty and the values it teaches the child. Says so much about society.

Squeaks, did you never try to get into the local disco* when you were under-age? It's kind of a rite of passage. And I'd argue that this is even less 'rebellious', since it's with mum and dad. 

* that ages me!

Edited: 28/08/2011 at 01:07
28/08/2011 at 02:02

Kids listening to the same music as their dads??!!

Oh dear. oh deary deary me

When i was in my teens I can proudly say my parents did not understand a single record I played.

It was just noise and loud.

Now in my 40's I still listen to music most people dont understand.

Its just noise.

Not so loud now

http://youtu.be/IuYmtZ8D5Zs

28/08/2011 at 08:12
Squeakz wrote (see)
Wow is about all I can say, im surprised so many people seem to be at ease with the dishonesty and the values it teaches the child. Says so much about society.

I assume your tongue was firmly in your cheek with this comment Squeakz

Miffi - There will be so many people going into the gig that they will not be asking the age of a 12 year old if they are with the rest of your family. The door staff will almost certainly be too busy. Stick them in the middle and go in like you own the place.

Kids mature at different rates.  If you feel it is okay for your child to see the gig then take them. 

Just accept that as a result they will become career criminals and will be looting Footlocker the following week.  It is a slippery slope you are starting them on.....

28/08/2011 at 15:48
Wilkie wrote (see)

When I was a teenager I'd have been mortified to be seen with my parents at a concert (or pretty much anywhere, really).

So not cool!

I'd have to agree I would have been the same, by the time I was 18 we were poles apart and would have had no common interests.  I guess we're lucky that the older one still finds us acceptable (within reason)  but if we get in and he meets up with mates and goes off with them we'll be ok with that.  

& Stephen E Forde - kids listening to the same music as Dads.  Yeah terrible I know.  But the teenager is hoping for a career in music and listens to a wide wide range of bands.  I know the Kaiser Chiefs wont be top of his own preferences but he's never going to turn down a chance to watch someone play live.   His own band play stuff with lyrics that when I can understand them I wish I couldn't and I don't let my younger son listen to them.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 35 of 35 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.