Odowu did he cheat someone out of a place

16 messages
07/08/2012 at 16:06
The invisible man of the GB team has turned up, competed and left with little more than a ripple in the sandpit. Should this place have gone to another athlete
07/08/2012 at 16:18

No - his relatively miserable effort was still further than any other GB jumper has done this year, none of whom got the B qualifying standard. 

07/08/2012 at 16:44

Cheers for the info, At least he wasn`t stopping anyone else competing.

07/08/2012 at 17:00

Not sure who advised him on how to handle the pressure of the last couple of weeks with the likely injury problem he was suffering, but if it was his agent get a new one, if it was him listen, to your agent.  The decision to drop out and pretend all was well has likely cost him a fortune in future earnings and sponsorship.

07/08/2012 at 18:42

PI has not got on with British Athletic official for a while...remember the row when he pulled out of the commonwealth games by twitter and storm that kicked off.

07/08/2012 at 18:45

Yes. He knew he wasn't fit but decided his ego was bigger than the team ethos

07/08/2012 at 18:49

He has seemed to make a point recently of cutting his nose off despite his face.

07/08/2012 at 21:44

Saw a byline on the BBC. 

'Odowu screws up in the triple jump.'

I'm no fan of his but I don't think he deserved such a public insult.

08/08/2012 at 00:02

He's been a good athlete over a number of years - he might not have handled this that well but it's his career and his call how he plays it - he's won enough to have earned that right.

08/08/2012 at 13:16
Dreamtwister wrote (see)

Obviously the person that started the thread hasn't the first clue on Olympic selection process, and the A and B qualifying standards!

That's even more self-aggrandising than the regular post-London Marathon threads saying "when I told my colleague I'd run the marathon, he asked me how far that was!!  How ignorant is that??"

08/08/2012 at 13:35

The headline (not byline) was actually not "Oduwu screws up" but "Phillips screws up" which was a rather amusing pun, not an insult. 

seren nos    pirate
08/08/2012 at 13:46
popsider wrote (see)

He's been a good athlete over a number of years - he might not have handled this that well but it's his career and his call how he plays it - he's won enough to have earned that right.

agree

08/08/2012 at 14:36

I did think that the comments by Van Commenee leading up to Idowu's appearance in the athletes village were inappropriate and ill-timed, particularly the comments about how much money had been invested in Idowu's career.

"We pay the salary of his coach, our coach, so I'm perplexed that the last two weeks before the Games he turns his back on us, and I've got no idea why"

It could have been handled much better without issuing statements like that to the press ahead of the poor man's event.

08/08/2012 at 15:51

What does Commenee do that makes Him so special? 

08/08/2012 at 15:58
Dreamtwister wrote (see)

How self-aggrandising is that Wilkie? When you knock me you could at least add to the thread. Unless you're ignorant of the facts!

I am totally ignorant on how people are selected for the olympic team, so wouldn't presume to add anything on that.

09/08/2012 at 10:37

Van Commenee is the head coach of UK Athletics, which oversees UK athletics events, coaches and the careers/development of athletes. But I think he would benefit from having an experienced PR person on board to talk him out of pouring fuel on the fire!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
16 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.