OH keeps trying to stop me

what do you do?

41 to 56 of 56 messages
27/02/2012 at 16:42

My OH has always been at logger heads with me Mathschick since the moment i announced i was going to the gym, and in the past few years she has never watched me do one race, which i have found sad, but i think some of the races, it has been justified why she hasnt come, but there has to be give and take. I do odd hours with my shifts, so i am not out every evening with it, and often when i run, she is at work anyway.

If she has stopped me at anytime, i think it is because i so easily lose weight, and when i am in intense training mode, i can look like quite thin, even though my BMI is normal, and my slimness, is actually muscle. Its the worse feeling, having to justify why your going out, why your doing it etc, and i have had more than one confrontation. Unless you are a runner, then you will never understand the mentality really but i sympathise.

I normally tell my OH my running schedule a week in advance anyway. I never run in the evening, since i am a morning jogger. It has taken me two years though before she has understood my mentality, and although she wont be attending Sussex, Three Forts she might. In some ways, i like to be on my own when i do a race. I need to shut everything out, but just every once in a while, i think, actually, it would be nice you there.

Well, look forward to seeing you and your Football OH at Sussex

Nicko. Hdau    pirate
27/02/2012 at 17:18

A question to no one in particular on here.

When you don't go out running or to the gym to appease your OH. What do you do? Sit and watch telly or play on the PC, or something else that could be done at any time of the day?

The only one thats happy with this arrangement is your OH as he/she can see what your doing.

27/02/2012 at 18:27

ghostrider - wish I lost weight easily!! Things seem to have settled down anyway.

Nicko - as the vast majority of my running is done early morning, if I don't go running then I am still asleep. Mostly OH is totally unaware that I have got up and gone out! He sleeps right through me slipping out.

He will be at sussex as we are all going down together, and unless I go off with the car he will have to come! I think there might be a kiddy fun run which my youngest might want to do which will give them something to do while they are waiting for me...

28/02/2012 at 08:53

Haven't you dumped him yet ?

(Beachy Head is in Sussex isn't it ?)

28/02/2012 at 09:26
Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

Haven't you dumped him yet ?

(Beachy Head is in Sussex isn't it ?)

lol
28/02/2012 at 09:28

Oh Maths..just read the whole thread. Really REALLY hope it gets better and he sees how hard you are working and is really proud of you at the end of the Sussex half! Suddenly realised how bloody lucky I am to have a runner gf! Hope your injury niggles sod off and you have an awesome run.

Thinking positive running/relationship thoughts for you xx

Kryten    pirate
28/02/2012 at 10:53
Maybe you should try pointing out that you spend so much time running, you don't have time to have an affair?
28/02/2012 at 11:12
Kryten wrote (see)
Maybe you should try pointing out that you spend so much time running, you don't have time to have an affair?

But having seen the items on only requiring 3 minutes very hard excercise a couple of times a week, Perhaps she is using the excuse of a 4 hour run for something else ????
28/02/2012 at 11:59

it is funny, when I did my teacher training a few years ago he was worried that I might run off with some other student teacher - he has never voiced any concerns about me running off with a runner or someone from the gym!

oh, I think my genes would be the wrong ones for the 3 minutes exercise thing to work! Even doing all the running I do and I am not super fit!

28/02/2012 at 12:17
Your husband really doesn't come across well in this thread.  He sounds like a jealous, insecure child.
28/02/2012 at 12:23
Moraghan wrote (see)
Your husband really doesn't come across well in this thread.  He sounds like a jealous, insecure child.

yeah, sometimes that is how he acts!!! He does have some good points too.....
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
28/02/2012 at 12:28
Oh dear, can't offer a solution but just my sympathy. Sorry for you mathschick, it reminds me of my first husband who was intensely jealous if I was ever out of his sight. I did stop running for the 2 years we were together but it wasn't a happy time. He tried to change me into a person I'm not, even controlling the clothes I wore to go out in. Terribly insecure man. Since I left him I've done 45 marathons, 7 Ironman triathlons and uncountable other races. My 2nd hubby is a runner and triathlete too, when we met he was a typical beer-swilling football-playing chubby teddy bear. Gradually he started running with me and gave up the footy. It was his idea to try a triathlon in 1992 and since then we've both been hooked. He is now better than me at almost everything!
28/02/2012 at 12:35

Ultra Ironwolf - that's a nice story. My OH isn't actually that controlling, just annoying at times. Although I kind of think I would find most people annoying after living with them for 12 years.

Youngest son (aged 7) wants to do a family fun run together, but OH won't, which is quite sad that he wouldn't run/walk it with the kids.

28/02/2012 at 13:16
mathschick wrote (see)

oh, I think my genes would be the wrong ones for the 3 minutes exercise thing to work! Even doing all the running I do and I am not super fit!

Yeah..... We know why you come back from 3 hours training sessions all hot and sweaty  !   
29/02/2012 at 13:37

Before or after the run give him oral pleasure and I can guarantee he will encourage you to run more.

29/02/2012 at 15:09
Not hiring you as a coach

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 56 of 56 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.