Olympic Torch

route for 2012 announced

21 to 35 of 35 messages
seren nos    pirate
19/05/2011 at 07:55

you only want one nomination as you want that one to be written brilliantly................

stolencar..............i didn't read that anywhere.............is that a guess or fact

I am busy working on my nomination..but not good at words............ i think it's a shame its a ballot first.......but at least if he doesn't get to be a torch bearer I can say it was the ballots fault......not my lousy writting

19/05/2011 at 08:46

Seren, they mentioned on the local news yesterday that of 8000 carriers, places are only available for 2000 nominees.

I'm at the first overnight stop after Lands End, but can't see myself going to watch to be honest.

19/05/2011 at 09:58

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13446794

Actually I was wrong about the 50% figure it is indeed 75% going to 'sponsors' as Lord Coe calls them

19/05/2011 at 10:07
the best take on this story so far

Olympic flame to terrify Wales

good 'ol Mash!

Edited: 19/05/2011 at 10:07
19/05/2011 at 10:11
fat buddha wrote (see)
the best take on this story so far Olympic flame to terrify Wales good 'ol Mash!

"Meanwhile the rest of Britain is now dividing itself into those who are excited about seeing the Olympic flame and normal people."

Hahahaa!!!!
19/05/2011 at 12:54

I'm thinking of going to see it as there are 4 places within reach of me that I can combine seeing the torch with a day out.

19/05/2011 at 12:59
Stolencar wrote (see)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13446794

Actually I was wrong about the 50% figure it is indeed 75% going to 'sponsors' as Lord Coe calls them

I do wish they'd put these things in print, rather than video!  I can READ stuff at work without anyone knowing......
seren nos    pirate
19/05/2011 at 13:01

Stolencar.....thanks for that link....they missed that off the publicity material..............

I am feeling gutted now................they want incredible worthwhile indiviuals..............but not as much as the corporate monsters................says exactly what the olympics stands for

19/05/2011 at 13:22

I think the logistics of the 8,000 is confusing. Seb Coe comes out and say half are expected
to go to young people. So that's 4,000. While 6,000 are going to sponsors who will probably
be stars, celebs and sponsors employees.

I remember Seb Coe saying that a London Olympics will be the people's games.
As ever, never seems to be true.

23/03/2012 at 15:12

I'll be carrying the Torch through my home village.  It's 0.2 mi in total.  Trying to see what's the slowest pace I can run and still look vaguely cool.  Think around 14min/mi should be slow enough to eek out those precious seconds!

Nominated by Lloyds TSB for my charity work.

seren nos    pirate
23/03/2012 at 15:22
forgot about this thread...I did nominate my son through coca-cola as a deserving youngster and he got through........

we do have to travel over 20 miles away to carry it......when the next day it will be less than 2 miles away.....and people will be travelling from the other area to carry it here.......

seems like you were lucky to get your home village Martin....

My son will have to get up at the crack of dawn to his AS level exam before he goes for the torch
23/03/2012 at 15:40
I'm sure that's not the most convenient for you but then it is voluntary isn't it.  I now live in Cardiff - 30 miles from my hometown - so will also have to travel.  At least he gets his torch for free, eh?
23/03/2012 at 15:40

Just saw your profile as being in Caerphilli - he's not carrying it in Ogmore Vale is he?

seren nos    pirate
23/03/2012 at 15:52
no Martin in abergavenny the day before......we accepted that we might have to travel.....just seems stupid that the people form here are travelling to abergavenny and the ebbw vale people travel the next day to caerphilly.......would have been lovely for him to do it through our own town........

but still a great day and a great chance for him....and I get to accompany him as he is under 18
23/03/2012 at 15:58
That's brill!  I'm the only person from Ogmore carrying it through there - others from as far afield as Caerphilli - hence the question. 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 35 of 35 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.