Olympics

Alternative

19 messages
20/07/2012 at 17:26

While I wish each and every member of Team the best 

Who do you think will be an Olympic Flop ?

20/07/2012 at 17:33

the opening ceremony?

20/07/2012 at 17:33

Andy Murray

20/07/2012 at 17:34

I honestly don't know what to expect for the opening ceremony. I've seen the 'vision', but what will it actually be like? Cows and people having picnics? How does that translate to an opening ceremony? 

20/07/2012 at 17:44

Yeah but she fell on her arse in 2008 !

20/07/2012 at 17:47
Slowfoot 2012 wrote (see)

Yeah but she fell on her arse in 2008 !

bit like shares really though innit - past performance is no indicator of future performance.

I wish Shaz well this time - she deserves to win

20/07/2012 at 18:01
sarah the bookworm wrote (see)

I honestly don't know what to expect for the opening ceremony. I've seen the 'vision', but what will it actually be like? Cows and people having picnics? How does that translate to an opening ceremony? 

I think the opening ceremony will be incredibly cheesy.... all London busses, Big Ben and The Beatles.... cheesy to most Brits, that is, but actually that's what lots of non-Brits (I'm especially thinking Americans, Germans) seem to love, so I think the rest of the world looking in will probably love it.

Edited: 20/07/2012 at 18:01
20/07/2012 at 18:49
Do you think the opening ceremony will be that literal? They always seem a bit abstract (to put it politely).
20/07/2012 at 19:35
I think that girl who tries to win a medal on a kids bike will be the biggest flop. You know, the one from Manchester who fell off in Beijing.
20/07/2012 at 20:25

I have a horrible feeling that the biggest flop will be our dignity (opening ceremony is really filling me with dread!).

But if I really HAD to pick someone who I'm not so sure will perform, I would go for Phillips ... don't know why (and god knows I'll be screaming for him to win on the day), but just have an uneasy feeling he's gonna mess it up.

20/07/2012 at 20:34

Not sure I understand the motivation for starting a thread like this.  If anyone's made it this far they're obviously near the top of their game and this will be one of the highlights, if not the highlight of their sporting career - football and tennis aside.    So if they fail miserably, it's gonna be a bit of a personal disaster.  So if you luckily guess on which particular individual has a nightmare, does that give you some sort of satisfaction to be able to say ''I told you so''?  Nice sentiment.

Dark Vader    pirate
20/07/2012 at 20:37
Juliefrazz wrote (see)

I think the opening ceremony will be incredibly cheesy.... all London busses, Big Ben and The Beatles.... cheesy to most Brits, that is, but actually that's what lots of non-Brits (I'm especially thinking Americans, Germans) seem to love, so I think the rest of the world looking in will probably love it.

One of our clients is creating a social venue in London for the US athletes and their families...     there is indeed a black London cab, 10 old red phone boxes (they weight over 2 tonnes each!!), various mock up art pieces of Big Ben and other London sights and a replica of Stone Henge...!     I'm told it will look very nice when its finished...

21/07/2012 at 22:04
Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
I think that girl who tries to win a medal on a kids bike will be the biggest flop. You know, the one from Manchester who fell off in Beijing.
Don't let the shield slip.
21/07/2012 at 22:06
Lou Diamonds wrote (see)
Do you think the opening ceremony will be that literal? They always seem a bit abstract (to put it politely).

What are you on?

21/07/2012 at 22:39

I hope they don't because they both have the talent to jump long, but Greg Rutherford and Chris Tomlinson never quite seem to live up to expectations.  

23/07/2012 at 16:27
PhilPub wrote (see)

Not sure I understand the motivation for starting a thread like this.  If anyone's made it this far they're obviously near the top of their game and this will be one of the highlights, if not the highlight of their sporting career - football and tennis aside.    So if they fail miserably, it's gonna be a bit of a personal disaster.  So if you luckily guess on which particular individual has a nightmare, does that give you some sort of satisfaction to be able to say ''I told you so''?  Nice sentiment.

Were British isn't that enough motivation !

23/07/2012 at 16:40

The opening ceremony seems incredibly long - four hours or so?  I'd be fed up with it after a couple of hours. 

I've never actually watched any other opening ceremonies, so I won't be able to make comparisons, but, I do think it's likely to be cringe-making from the sound of it!

23/07/2012 at 16:57

"Who do you think will be an Olympic Flop ?"

All of the high jumpers. 

Next question.

23/07/2012 at 22:32
Dicky M wrote (see)

"Who do you think will be an Olympic Flop ?"

All of the high jumpers. 

Next question.

I would have thought of the divers !

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
19 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.