On The Wagon For January

33,801 to 33,820 of 34,306 messages
04/01/2013 at 22:18

Out f'in standing fellow sober simons and sally's. We should all apply for a job as a judge

Just stopped in tonight with racing post greyhound tv for company. ld normally have a few cans by my side and place a few bets then shout at the telly as my dog runs the wrong way round the track.

Up early for the long, slow, weekend run. Take my backpack with me and pick up some fresh crusty rolls for my bacon and egg roll when l get back.

Cant be an angel ALL the time can we.

Well done again so far everyone. 1 weekend nearly down already. Kind of anyway haha

Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
05/01/2013 at 07:55

well done everyone. I'm a day behind eveyone, I was at my son's for the New Year and he cooked a lovely New Year Day lunch (Duck with all the trimmings). There was also wine .

Still, the first Friday (wineday) over with. It was not so hard for me as I've not been in work this week.

Enjoy your bacon and egg roll Gareth.

05/01/2013 at 08:33

Morning

well done everyone - for me it is week two that is the hardest for some reason

Mr F I would really like to have my sleep issues looked at but trying to persuade most GPs is difficult

The kitten is only damaging the curtains and my legs at the moment - she is very sweet really

Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
05/01/2013 at 09:21

Maddy (and anyone else with sleep issues) have you tried some of these  tips?

I also on occasion use Valerian tablets from the health shop (herbal Valium without the addictive stuff) when I've had a few sleepless nights.

Week two would be the hardest cos the body (and mind) are beginning to panic that the substance that has (apparently) helped solve life issues is being denied. That's very simplistic (there are some complex biochemical happenings), but more or less what is happening. Knowing that after 2 weeks, most of the harmful stuff is gone and the body and mind are starting to heal, helps. 

05/01/2013 at 09:24
Peace and karma to all!
K80
05/01/2013 at 10:06

Good morning everyone

Well I poured my husband a vodka and coke last night and a virgin coke for me. Just the one, I let him pour his own for the rest of the evening.

Horlicks before bed.

I intended to get up and go for a 5k before my hairdressers appointment. But I overslept! Just woke up from a really great sleep.

Another crazy dream last night - i can't remember them but they are in the style of the "24" production. Lots of "windows" open on the same screen so you have to scan around them to make sense of what's going on

05/01/2013 at 10:07

Morning all. I've been thinking about what I really want to do about drinking. I always start January abstaining and then slowly drift back to usual ways. So I'm looking at a long-term lifestyle change of only drinking 3 days a week, even on holiday. I drink moderately and tend not to binge so I'll only think of taking The Pledge if I can't maintain this new habit. I'd still like to ride on the back of the waggon though. Tonight will be alcohol free beer, got a long run to do tomorrow. 

Well done everyone. Let the waggon roll. 

05/01/2013 at 10:17

Morning all - start of day 5 and the first Friday Night done with no issues!

Agree that after two weeks it becomes hard, last time I got to about Jan 17th!

05/01/2013 at 10:38
Good stuff everyone. My first beer free Friday of the year done an dusted. Have to say that I didn't find it too hard, hopefully the rest of the campaign is as easy, though I doubt it. Like K80 I sorted out my missus with a drink and had some coke. There is a solitary can of magners left in the fridge from Christmas that keeps looking at me but I'm ignoring it
05/01/2013 at 11:53
Enough booze in the garage to float a small ship, but in a strange way that's helping. If I didn't have any, then come shop closing time I'd start to get twitchy! Once tonight is out of the way I think a huge hurdle will have been achieved so well done all, hang on in there.
05/01/2013 at 12:53
Yep tonight will be a tough one. Lots of booze in the house, I get a little fidgety around 8-9 pm. Looks like everyone is doing very well though.
05/01/2013 at 13:12

l never drink in the house, l just used to look forward to getting hammered at weekends. At the minute though money is tight after xmas so l dont really have the option of drinking just now. My real test will begin when l get paid again in a fortnight.

Anyway, first friday out the way and went for a 14k run earlier (few walk breaks thrown in as well if im honest)

Bacon is slowly sizzling away just now.

Good luck for tonight everyone. Fat fella that is some mighty will power being shown there to ignore the atlantic ocean of booze sat in your garage

05/01/2013 at 18:11

Evening all,  day 5 underway, friday night passed with no issues & even stopped off at the local with Mrs M today after a session at the gym to watch the Welsh National ( I lost, she won )    She had a couple of halfs and i had two pints of orange juice.  

The test will be Liverpool v Mansfield tomorrow (at the local) but i did this last year right through to the Wokingham Half so am confident will cope.  

Good luck all

05/01/2013 at 19:22

Can I join you please?  I am on day 5 of no alcohol whatsoever.  I usually have at least a bottle of wine on a Fri/Sat/Sun and maybe another day if I can get away with it.  From Friday before Xmas I have had at least a bottle of wine every night up until NYE when I went off with a bang!!!

I am running my first ultra (Thames Trot 50) on 2nd Feb and decided several months ago I wanted to ditch the alcohol in Jan and hopefully lose at least half a stone at the same time.

So far so good, I have had a bottle of Becks non-alcoholic beer on two occasions and am feeling alot less bloated for it.

I am yet to feel better in my running though but hoping my 26 miles tomorrow morning will feel easier than usual.

05/01/2013 at 20:16
Liz, your story sounds a little familiar indeed! Your most welcome aboard! Right, I'm off to the pub for birthday drinks! I might even push the boat and have something exotic like a....... J2O!
06/01/2013 at 00:03

Well this is all rather expected.

First saturday in god knows how long that i've not got a drink in me and im laid in bed trying to count sheep owing to insomnia like symptoms.

Think i'll read this thread from page 1 and see how far l can get.

Hope everyone else is doing ok anyway.

06/01/2013 at 00:21

Evening all.

I'm up later than usual as well tonight Gareth - but that's a good thing.

Had a nice tuna steak tonight washed down by cloudy lemonade instead of wine!

Day 5 and 2/3rds of the weekend done.

06/01/2013 at 06:57

Well that was my first Sat night without a vino since the beginning of time.  I was pottering around the house doing bits and pieces driving my hubby MAD as he just wanted us to settle down and watch a film as we usually would (he still had his beer).  I just had far too much energy.  Not sure if it was the lack of wine or knowing I had to be up early to go for an LSR.

06/01/2013 at 09:27

Morning

Well done folks

Ye old dragon - I have tried most things over the years but I think its a quieten themind down and learn to stop dwelling on things that might not happen and are never as bad as you imagine when they do

I think I am safely over the first weekend which is the first danger - lots more boredom at the moment han during the week -- about to sort my social life out but not drinking won't be an issue I have often gone out and drunk soda and lime - nice and refreshing

06/01/2013 at 09:44
Morning everyone and well done! Excellent efforts all round. We should all be very pleased with ourselves.
That soda and lime does sound very refreshing indeed maddy! I like ice chilled lemon and lime volvic spring water. Probably a similar taste but still...
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.