On The Wagon For January

34,001 to 34,020 of 34,606 messages
25/12/2012 at 23:42
Hi all, hope the holiday is going well. Jan 1st Is looming and I for one am up for the challenge. Gareth - how is it going? Sounds like a good lifestyle change. Feeling better and more cash in the bank! Got to be good! Wish I could stick to it. Maybe this year is the one!
26/12/2012 at 00:37

On the water wagon here; have been for a good few years now; but then I'm a member of Alcoholics Anonymous.

Can I just put a plug in (not the jug) for A.A.?  If anyone is struggling to stay stopped, after seriously deciding to stop drinking, there is a real possibility that there's a problem there.

After trying all kinds of ways to moderate my drinking (which always failed), and then trying to stop drinking off-and-on for a number of years I ended up in A.A..  It's the smartest thing I've ever done.

Just saying!  A.A. is easy to find; there's a website, there's their telephone number (manned by recovered alkies), and there's meetings everywhere.  In my local city there's over 90 meetings per week.

I'll shut up now.  Thanks. 

26/12/2012 at 09:15

No worries easy does it - there are probably some on the forum in general (not necessarily posting on this thread) who might be worried about their drinking in the longer term

SOme years I happily end up not drinking for a coupl eof months and then I am mch more restrained when I start again - January is about breaking a habit for me - I know I can stop but it helps to give yourself a target now and again

K80
26/12/2012 at 09:58

Can I join in?

I can't remember the last time i went a whole week without a drink, let alone a month.

26/12/2012 at 11:35

Morning waggoners. Just popping in the book my place on the waggon. October off the booze only lasted a week so its got to be full month for January. I'm actually ready for it and will abstain for most of this week, I've had enough. 

Welcome K80. 

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
26/12/2012 at 15:41

I'm with you, Soupy, about had my fill too and it isn't even New Year yet.

K80
27/12/2012 at 12:34

Me too.

I've just found myself drawn to the "Squash" aisle in Morrisons

I fancied some PLJ but had to make do with Rose's lime juice

Edited: 27/12/2012 at 12:35
27/12/2012 at 17:50
Think il join you all too! Had a stinking cold and cough all over Christmas so have voluntarily been nominated driver on a couple of occasions but a month of horlicks before bed will be good for me too.
27/12/2012 at 21:20

booking place on wagon

29/12/2012 at 14:30
Am aboard a couple of days early. Don't want next year starting off with me feeling rough for a couple of days like normal years, so today is my first day!
30/12/2012 at 21:25

First things first. Are they YOUR legs loon?

I've hammered the beer all xmas and now im thoroughly sick of it. The way l feel now i'll not be drinking at all nye, might even stop in and go for a jog new years day.

Honestly feel like im coming to a natural end of my drinking career. l loved the majority of it in my teens right through to my late twenties but these last couple of years i've just grew into a different person and one that doesnt want to be pissing all my money up the wall, making a prick of myself, getting in fights and waking up feeling like i've been trampled by elephants during the night.

30/12/2012 at 22:00

Been offshore so have had a head start, last drink was 21st and won't get home until 6th so no temptations over the festive season!

31/12/2012 at 20:30

Gareth - you HAVE to run on NY day, that's the only way to start a new year properly! Can't remember how many years we've been doing that now, it's become traditional in our house.

01/01/2013 at 00:39

I may have to do February and/or March instead, in preparation for my spring marathon.

I can't do January...

01/01/2013 at 07:45

Not had one drink at all over xmas the first time ever ! can't believe it, going for my first run of the year in a minute a little 13 miles !!!

01/01/2013 at 10:01
On the wagon for life. Day 4. Support needed in the coming weeks...months...years... so checking in this thread
K80
01/01/2013 at 10:48

I feel cack this morning Should make the wagon easier to get on.

Well done ashman - for the non drinking and the 13 miler today.

Offering a shoulder to you Elli x

01/01/2013 at 11:05
Cupboard well stocked with tea, green tea and horlicks. Let the dryathlon commence!

Elli, so your on the wagon for life? Good on you. And well done on your first four days.
01/01/2013 at 11:27

Yeah I stopped once for 7 months or so and it was the best time of my life.

I've struggled with my relationship with alcohol all my life and realised that the only way for me to be free is to quit for life. Just like I did with smoking.

Happy new year all, by the way

01/01/2013 at 12:10

Good for you Elli - the first thing with an addiction is to recognize that it is one. Sounds like you are well on the way to recovery and as you've already kicked smoking, you can do this too.

Edited for typo

Edited: 01/01/2013 at 12:10
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.