On The Wagon For January

34,001 to 34,020 of 34,306 messages
19/01/2013 at 11:26

SD, thank you I hope it can be of help All the best with your attempt, I hope it will be a right decision for you which ever way you decide to go.

I really struggled understanding at what point does the drinking become a problem. When looking at AA sites, I didnt fit all the criteria of an alcoholic. I think for me it would have been easier if I had, then I would have known I must quit. Someone telling me yes you are an alcoholic would have been a wake up call. But because there were things that didnt quite match the criteria, I should have been OK. I should have been OK to just have the one drink.

It was only after talking to other alcoholics that I realised nobody is going to tell me what to do. I decide myself if my drinking is a problem for me (and those close to me). If I find it a problem, then I have a problem. It's my life. I choose. 

I can never have that one drink and for me it's always staying away from that one drink as it will turn to two and three and eventually that vicious cycle that Ye Old Dragon described.

Anyway, well done all so far  

Edited: 19/01/2013 at 11:28
19/01/2013 at 12:01
A very profound post there Elli but one I can relate to.

I only drunk on the weekends but also found that Moderation was hard. Got to the point of hating the feeling of waking up with a fuzzy head and feeling lethargic. Also, when I look back at some if the silly things I've done or said after alcohol it's no wonder I want to quit.

But most of all it puts weight on me especially because after drink
I want to eat, eat and eat. It also meant that I missed too many early Sat and Sun morning runs.

Now, got up this morning after a great nights sleep (best for a long long time) and got out for an early morning run on the beach - avoiding the snow. Feeling good.
Edited: 19/01/2013 at 12:02
19/01/2013 at 18:29
Off to Nandos with the family now. Will fancy a Superbok no doubt!
IronCat5    pirate
19/01/2013 at 21:20

Hi all,

SO I tried to join, then had a friend's 30th on the 5th so had a few pints. Then lasted until Wednesday when I was away with work and invited out for dinner, so 2 halfs of lager. Then a pint today at lunch.

Last year I needed to not drink to get up early to train; I lasted to mid feb, then hardly drank at all. So now I'm aiming to do the same this year - just cut back. For me it's un-needed calories.

Well done those that are still dry, and good luck those that are struggling.

19/01/2013 at 21:47

Not been on for a while as im ashamed to say l fell off the wagon last weekend. Was the same old story, sod all on telly, bored in the house, friends asking me what im doing, ahhhhhhh what the hell, im off out.

lm not going to beat myself up over it, and i've not drank with anything like the regularity of what l was doing before crimbo so that's a starting point.

Hope the rest of you are all still doing really well. when l have a bit more time on my hands i'll have a read back through the past few pages to see how everyones doing.

Anyway, cheers

19/01/2013 at 22:06
Evening all,

I haven't been on the thread for a week or so, but I'm still on the wagon - slowly rolling along....

Well done to everyone, including those who have fallen off and climbed back on!

YP
19/01/2013 at 23:11
Had a nice meal in Nandos and didn't miss a drink at all. Was nice to be able to drive all the family as well in this weather. Got home at 9.45 and took dogs for a walk. Kids just gone to bed and we're chilling now. Mrs RK having wine, I'm not bothered!
Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
20/01/2013 at 08:22

nice one Kev 

Isn't it odd how alcohol is so dominant in this society? It's hard to avoid adverts, people drinking in telly dramas and so much allusion to drinking everywhere! Have you noticed that the booze aisle in the supermarkets are bigger than the veg and fresh fish aisles?

I'm in a position now that I can't train cos I have two small kiddies in the house! I didn't realise how much my freedom meant to me until I lost it (it is temporary though). The positive thing about that is that I couln't drink if I wanted to in case the kiddies need me at night.

20/01/2013 at 09:07
Well done everyone. A sterling effort! I wonder how much we have saved by not drinking? Anyone care to take a wild guess?
20/01/2013 at 09:24

Morning

Well done one  and all

In theory I should be about £15 a week better off - not sure how I afforded it at the moment although I was doing slightly more hours before xmas

No huge weight loss but my clothes are slowly getting looser

20/01/2013 at 11:10
Probably about ??30 a week better off I'd guess (I liked pricey wine!).

These lifestyle changes have been amazing! Went running at 9am in the snow and ice this morning at minus temperatures. There's no way I would have done that 4 weeks ago!
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
20/01/2013 at 20:32

I was out in the snow and ice too RK - exhilarating!

20/01/2013 at 20:39
Evening folks. Loads of snow here in the midlands, tomorrows drive to work is goj.g to be an interesting one!
Yet another headache today, had it most of the day and still here despite having downed in excess of two litres of water this evening!
Not exactly feeling as fresh ans rejuvenated as some but I must be healthier as a result!
20/01/2013 at 20:53

Mr F having done some very radical diet changes in the past that led to my body having a damn good clear out you can feel knackered, headachy, light headed and all sorts while your bosy addapts to less toxins.  It will pass

Time I looked at the clean diet again - I slept well after about a month of that

20/01/2013 at 20:59
So what's the clean diet?
21/01/2013 at 06:35
Morning all.

Hopefully you will feel the benefits soon Mr F.
21/01/2013 at 18:00

The clean diet was a vegan diet with a high proportion of raw food - like veganism its a lifestyle choice but my head has never been in teh right place to stick with it past 6 weeks despite how good I felt

Tonight marks three weeks folks

21/01/2013 at 18:07
Happy three.weeks, I should have brought a cake!sounds interesting maddy. I did a 3 day juice detox last year which was interesting! I do like my fresh raw veg actually, certainly helps keep you regular eh!
21/01/2013 at 20:15
21 days under the belt then team, not a bad effort so far! Gareth don't beat yourself up, just climb back on board and look at it as a very minor blip in your otherwise superb effort.
21/01/2013 at 20:57

Mr F it certainly does

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.