On The Wagon For January

34,021 to 34,040 of 34,606 messages
01/01/2013 at 12:41

Thank you

01/01/2013 at 13:01
I jumped on the wagon Feb 2010. I had definately drunk my life's alcohol allocation and a fair bit more! And I'm still on on it. Yay! Guys, if I can do it, anybody can. Good luck and strong willpower to you all.
01/01/2013 at 14:02
Go for it Elli. Support available in large amounts. Need to do the same really. Have tried a few times but hopefully this will be the one!
01/01/2013 at 16:19

One needs to be inthe mindset that stopping is for good, not just for now.

Quitting smoking was easy once I realised I wanted to just quit and never smoke another cigarette in my life. I just quit without any replacement and it was easy.

The reason I've not been able to do it with alcohol is that I didn't want to give up for good. I just thought I should be able to get it "in control". Realising that I will never be able to, the options are to keep having the battle with myself, feel the guilt, hate and failure and never be satisfied with myself, or just quit for good and not have to have the battle at all. Will I miss it? Unlikely.

Some people of course just want a dry season. Which is great.

But for some it's  just knowing they will never be able to go back having just one drink. Like for me,it never is just one drink.

Medals, well done for staying off that long. Must be amazing. Do you think you will drink again?

Edited: 01/01/2013 at 16:21
01/01/2013 at 16:26
Sounds like toy have an amazing mindset elli and I'm sure with the confidence and motivation you have you will meet four objective. well done you! For me its just a case of taking a month out, at the minute. Ive had an awful last 4 months of the year with major upset depression and anxiety in my life which had got itself under control until something else came along to totally kick me whilst I was down. Drinking kind of became a bit of a habit so looking to take a break, and then see what happens!
01/01/2013 at 16:34

Thank you Mr F... I've suffered from chronic depression for half of my life. Alcohol is a major depressant and makes it worse. But like you (assumption?), I used it for self medication and it helped short term but made situation worse the long term.

It would have been too hard to give up at the darkest point in my life. I wouldnt have been strong enough. But I had to get better to be able to build up to the right mindset. 

For you, I believe a dry month will definitely help. It will hopefully give you new perspective to life and at the end of it you may feel you want the dry season to last a bit longer. I sincerely hope it will make you feel better.

I take a lot of certain vitamins and supplements that are supposed to help with depression. I've found that they do indeed help. Why not try it now that you're having a break from alcohol and see if they make a difference?

01/01/2013 at 16:41
Oh? What do you take? I do use aromatherapy sometimes
01/01/2013 at 17:22
Thanks Elli. I don't think I will drink again. I too have had depression/anxiety issues and I think it was because of me drinking so much over a long period of time. I think it just messed my brain up. I had to stop altogether. A course of anti Ds sort of reset my brain if you like and over the past year I've felt more like I used to years ago, although not always out of the woods. It's great feeling bright and ready to go when I wake up now. It is very hard to get out of the 'drinking everyday' habit. For me, the first two weeks were hardest. Mmmm, I really miss real ale and when I see my mates drinking it I get a bit of an urge, but it passes. I'm a bit obsessive, so now I'm obsessed with not drinking. Elli, if you can get through January dry, you should be able to control your consumption down to a managable amount. Then I guess depending on what's going on in your life, hopefully you'll be able to make the decision on whether you want to abstain or just have a drink now and again. It may sound daft but in my weaker moments I think of celebs that I admire who've given up. I still do that now.
01/01/2013 at 17:37

Mr F, I take B6, B12, magnesium, folic acid, zinc, cod liver oil and 5-HTP. Nowadays is more like when I remember rather than religiously everyday.
5-HTP is widely used instead of happy pills. But if you're already taking happy pills, you shouldnt mix the two.

Medals, thank you.... but I have already made a decision to quit for good. I can't do moderation and I've learned it the hard way. It's all or nothing for me. In fact, it is easier for me to stay dry when I have decided it will be for good.

01/01/2013 at 17:40
Grief elli, is that a combined multi vit or a whole load of different ones? I take.a.regular multi vit as often have low iron levels!
01/01/2013 at 17:43

I take it as separate ones to make sure I get all the ones I need. Never really been fan of multivitamins. Not sure why. But I suppose it would do the same thing if you found one that has the vitamins you need.

On the other hand, do vitamins actually do anything if you have otherwise healthy and balanced diet...? 

I went on these as I thought I had nothing to lose. Whether it was a placebo effect or the real thing, I do feel better than before I started taking them.

01/01/2013 at 17:45

5-HTP definitely works. Look it up on google too. Thats slightly different, it's not vitamin...

01/01/2013 at 17:58
Evening all, and Happy New Year to everyone,

Can I book a seat on the wagon please? Length of stay might be a bit longer than January (I'm nurturing half an idea of staying dry until after my spring marafun) but I promise to sit quietly in the corner, and not to make too much noise......
01/01/2013 at 18:43

I have an alcohol dependency problem as well, I'm working with ADAS at the moment, they're great. Mine is primarily stress related but I always feel the need for drink.  On the wagon for January and like you YoungPup will probably try for spring marathon time as well

good luck everyone, I think I'm going to try, everytime I go shopping and feel the need to buy alcohol (on benefits for long term sickness so I'm quite restricted at the amount I can buy anyway  ... for quite, read VERY), I am going to try and put the equivalent money aside in a jar. I'm hoping that will be another incentive as well

01/01/2013 at 19:03

Evening. My waggon journey starts on Thursday cos I'm still on holiday. You are all certainly making me think more seriously about what alcohol is doing to me and why I "need" it. I also struggle with depression and my alcohol consumption goes up when I'm having a bad spell which is probably the last thing I should be doing. I cut down dramatically a couple of years ago and felt really well, but then the daily drinking slowly started to get to be a habit again. It tends to be a shared bottle of wine over dinner, or a bottle of beer in the evening so not huge quantities but its still hard to stop. Im aiming for the more control rather than full stop, but Ellie gives a good warning about that approach. 

Good idea on the money in the jar Loon. I'll try that. 

Good luck all. Great to be among friends. 

Edited: 01/01/2013 at 19:04
01/01/2013 at 19:32
Lots of similarities appearing here isn't there! This is a big test as the next couple of months are going to be challenging for me, and at the same time I have the Thames 100 at the end of march which I'm really hoping to be physically and mentally ready for. Best of luck to everyone, the journey starts here.
01/01/2013 at 19:40
I am off the booze as from today for Dry January at work. It's about wine o clock now, hence mooching about on the iPad. Good luck all.
01/01/2013 at 20:00

A lot of what's been said about relationship with alcohol, esp from Elli really strikes a chord with me. I'm guilty of not being able to just have one either. The plan was to stay off until TP100 (See you there mr f!) but maybe I need to re-evaluate that.

01/01/2013 at 20:08
I managed to stay off all caffeine for the three months leading up to last years TP Jeremy bit alcohol could be more of a challenge! I'll aim for a month, and who knows if I'm on a roll that night be the next target
01/01/2013 at 20:22
I can relate so much to what's being said here. Dependency, habit. Yep, been there. The first few weeks, I had to get another habit at drinky time. My drink was 2 or 3 pints of cider each night, so I had pint glasses of mint tea to replace the cider. But I still had the pint glass to have by myside. Also funnily enough I went through the box set of The Sopranos. It took my mind off the cravings to watch something I could really get into rather than just the usual background telly. Everyone's different, but for me, replacing a bad habit with a better one works. I also lost 1 1/2 stone in weight and gained about thirty quid a week!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.