On The Wagon For January

34,061 to 34,080 of 34,606 messages
Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
03/01/2013 at 08:01

Morning - I'd quite like to pop up onto this wagon?

I have over the past few years done a Dry January, and carry it on until the spring marathon. Then it tends to go downhill from there. Like many, I have a stressful job and will dive into the wine in the evening to unwind. It starts with Friday only as 'Wineday' but will escalate over the weekend then into the week. 

Over this Christmas and New Year, I have well and truly indulged, in fact, it started early in December.

In the back of my mind is the niggling thought that maybe I ought to avoid the 'demon drink' all together - but that is a scary thought and I do enjoy a nice glass of wine (that's all I tend to drink in alcohol). I had a brother who died of alcoholism in his 40s - it's not pretty - this along with my habit of drinking to relieve stress often worries me that I may be heading in the same direction, although I am a lot older than he was when he died.

Sorry for the self indulgence, but having been on the wagon several times for short periods over the years, I thought I would quite like some company this time around.

03/01/2013 at 08:05
Morning dragon and all the other joiners! Plenty of room on the wagon, plenty of support and encouragement coming your way!
03/01/2013 at 09:29
Anyone else feeling refreshed this morning? Or is it just psychological!
03/01/2013 at 10:12

I am still hungover from New Year's Eve! I have massively over-indulged in alcohol this Christmas and my half marathon training plan has gone completely to pot as a result. I will add my name to the list and hope that 9 weeks of sensible training will be enough.

03/01/2013 at 10:13

Mr F - my first night off the juice in ages was last night. slept like a baby and yes I do feel refreshed. Happy days ahead

03/01/2013 at 12:06
IKFY wrote (see)

I am still hungover from New Year's Eve! I have massively over-indulged in alcohol this Christmas and my half marathon training plan has gone completely to pot as a result. I will add my name to the list and hope that 9 weeks of sensible training will be enough.

Exact same mate.

l clocked a 47 minute 10k late last year and really felt like pushing on into a 1/2 in the early part of the year and Chester mara in Ocotober. 3 months or so of relentless boozing has put paid to a jan/feb 1/2 that's for sure so im aiming for the Sheffield half in May instead.

Good couple of months off the booze will see us right mucka!

Edit: Thanks for the birthday wish ladies and gents. Never bothered with a drink, go for a meal with friends over the weekend and no intention of drinking.

Edited: 03/01/2013 at 12:09
K80
03/01/2013 at 15:29

I'm doing the Chester half Gareth. Is Chester close to you? The guys running the event are having their first training session on Saturday morning - all abilities welcome and catered for.

My training is starting from scratch today so if I can you can

Edited: 03/01/2013 at 15:29
03/01/2013 at 17:21

I'm doing the Chester half and full Mara, the half is a very fast course!!

I live about 7 miles away so easy for me...

03/01/2013 at 18:18

Evening

Well done so far everyone and welcome all the newbies

It odd but I have always only stopped for January but my old mates in Brum always ask if I am staying off until my Birthday (mid march) again - EVERY YEAR

03/01/2013 at 19:48
Don't know about sleeping like a baby. The first couple of nights I didn't sleep well at all without the normal dose of anaesthetic! Hoping tonight will be better as day three is going well so far!

Well done on the dry birthday Gareth. Might try and make it through to mine (also mid march Maddy) which seems a long way off from here!
03/01/2013 at 19:56

Not had a beer since Christmas Eve. 

03/01/2013 at 20:15

Well done to everyone so far. You have put me well to shame - I've succumbed already on my day 1! Decided to "round off" the holiday having just got home from a long journey and start tomorrow. At Christmas I was really ready for a break but that quickly changed when I went on holiday.  

I'm planning on going beyond January too. Lasting till Easter is the plan. 

03/01/2013 at 20:23

How does wine in cooking work? Not drinking, just adding it in sauces? Is that cheating?

03/01/2013 at 20:27
Cooking burns off the alcohol content? I hope? I had a splash of white in tonights risotto!! Being good though, nowt else! Soup, hang in there won't ya!
03/01/2013 at 21:12

Soupy - there has never been judgenment on this thread in all the years it has run - just get back up the wagon doesn't really move that fast anyway

I thought the heating up of wine burned the alcohol off as well

I am not sleeping yet but thats a long term thing - might try the 5HTTP.  I have used it to try and sleep before but maybe I should try it as a general calming thing - I know I will sleep better when I finish sorting my diet out.  Not sure how much better my mind never seems to switch off

03/01/2013 at 21:15
Sounds too familiar maddy! Aromatherapy lavendar on a bedside burner really helps?
03/01/2013 at 21:22

I find it hard to switch off. Have a busy life and used to use alcohol to switch off before going to bed. Now without alcohol it's getting used to switching off other ways. Can't sleep with too much going on in my head

Can't run last thing at night either as it just wakes me up even more.

Edited: 03/01/2013 at 21:23
03/01/2013 at 21:24

I have a sleep mix somewhere which has lavender plus a couple of others

I think its time I seriously had a look at meditation to learn how to switch off

The last almost good night sleep I had was on a day with a 70 mile tough bike ride a bit of a soak and Paul McKennas CD

03/01/2013 at 21:26

Can't really do a burner - I had a 5ish omonth old kitten who is still at the bonkers stage so I flame would not be a good idea - though she rarely wakes me up unless she thinks I am alrady awke - I just find her already on the bed in the morning I don't notice her arrival

03/01/2013 at 21:28
Maddy, at the start of Dec I was fortunate to spend 2 weeks at a rehabilitation hospital in Oxfordshire through work. I had fault relaxation classes, accupuncture and sleep classes. I learned so much about sleep, what helps, what doesn't. I also learned how to relax more and unwind. There were so many people on the relaxation classes who were snoring after 5 minutes!!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.