On The Wagon For January

81 to 100 of 34,306 messages
02/01/2007 at 09:41
Am wondering if I'm allowed to join this thread. Am usually a DAILY drinker of at least a bottle of red and have regular out pubbing clubbing nights each week. HOWEVER, due to the proximity of Paris marathon and the fact that I'm sick of having hangovers, I'm going to now only drink twice a week, and never more than 1 bottle of wine in any one sitting. This is a HUGE change of lifestyle for me. Would love the moral support of this thread but understand if my 'allowed drinking' will exclude me!?!

What say you? Does it have to be whole-hearted 'full on wagoners' on here only? :-)
02/01/2007 at 09:45
oh Mr JARS and I will join in if that's OK.

02/01/2007 at 12:49
Isn`t it weird I was just thinking the same, about stopping drinking for January. I don`t drink much normally, a couple of glasses of wine at the weekend, but over the holidays we seemed to be out so much, had so much to drink and too many hangovers so time for a radical change me thinks.

The only forseeable problem might be my friends birthday at the end of the month. Perhaps I will drive, as that is an accepted excuse for not drinking rather than just saying I don`t want to !

running caz good luck with cutting down, I think you should add your name to the list.

Aviator
BuckarooBanzai
Calf
Cath.
Chieftan Tank
GMI
Corinthian
Gowster
Hoover
Huge
Ironwolf
IWDI
Jars and Mr Jars
(Jumping Jack) Flash
Just-Jamie
Kathy Ramsay (oops....i mean Findlay)
Kencing Terus
KKD
LittleGopher
Maddy.
Ms. Mouse
Ready Brek
Scottishharimau
Sue
Sweetest Thing

02/01/2007 at 12:57
Caz join in you are making a committment to be better and I am sure the support will be here
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
02/01/2007 at 13:12
running caz, not only are you welcome but you positively MUST undertake to reduce your drinking. A minimum of a bottle of wine per day is way over the limit for not doing damage to your body. You're already doing something good for yourself by training for the marathon, so please try and cut down your excess. Believe me, living as I do in the middle of a large wine-producing region, I know how easy it is for your intake to creep up until you are tolerating a very high amount without showing any outside effects. But there are internal ones. Please stop hurtung yourself.
02/01/2007 at 13:17
running caz I have a simaler outlook to you.

there is no way I can cut out alcohol completely - for a starter it would infringe to much on my social life - but I desperately want to cut down (I daily drink an average of about 5 pints of lager, then often descend into binge drinking on a Sat night)

Like you im sick of the hangovers and im sick of the damage its doing to my health ,Im also convinced I could be a decent runner if I didnt drink so much. I just want to be able to only drink two or maybe three nights a week.

Tonight will be my first night without alcohol for about two months. Im not looking forward to it.

02/01/2007 at 14:19
Jason X.
I've been drinking daily (bottle of red, 2-3pints cider etc) for as long as I can remember and it can't be doing me any good. So tonight I'm planning not to have a drink.
I'm not looking forward to it either, but just to let you know you're not alone.
02/01/2007 at 14:32
I too drink everyday, up to a bottle and a half of fizz a night. Been doing this since my uni days (which ended 9 years ago). With both my pregnancies i didn't touch a drop for the full 9 months,which shows me that if you concentrate on the health issue and not just the 'getting rid' of hangovers, then you CAN give up alcohol altogether. I smoked for 9 years then gave up on a new years resolution, i've not smoked now for 6 years.
Believe in yourself and you WILL do it. You can break a habit of a lifetime.

I fear that my alcohol consumption may now be replaced with an increased chocolate consumption so next year this equivalent thread will be titled "Join me on the chocolate Wagon".....
02/01/2007 at 14:35
Thanks all for welcoming me, shall add my name to the list.

JasonX & Medals - sounds like we're in the same boat. Last night was my first alcohol free night in I don't know how long and am intending to keep it that way until Fri!?! As you say Jasonx I know there is NO WAY i can or more to the point am prepared to give it up completly but if I can cut it down to 2 nights a week and maybe an odd glass here and there I'll be very pleased.

Aviator
BuckarooBanzai
Calf
Cath.
Chieftan Tank
GMI
Corinthian
Gowster
Hoover
Huge
Ironwolf
IWDI
Jars and Mr Jars
(Jumping Jack) Flash
Just-Jamie
Kencing Terus
KKD
LittleGopher
Maddy.
Ms. Mouse
Ready Brek
Running Caz
Scottishharimau
Sue
Sweetest Thing

Ironwolf - I know :-/

Good luck all ... have a feeling the thread will become busy from 7:00 onwards each evening when we reach breaking point ;-)
TW
02/01/2007 at 14:40
Just noticed I got dropped off the end of the list...maybe someone is trying to tell me something!...I'mm of the drink until Wokingham Half.

Aviator
BuckarooBanzai
Calf
Cath.
Chieftan Tank
GMI
Corinthian
Gowster
Hoover
Huge
Ironwolf
IWDI
Jars and Mr Jars
(Jumping Jack) Flash
Just-Jamie
Kencing Terus
KKD
LittleGopher
Maddy.
Ms. Mouse
Ready Brek
Running Caz
Scottishharimau
Sue
Sweetest Thing
TW

02/01/2007 at 14:41
KF2 - cross posted. Well done on the cig's. Not really a chocolate person so not sure what will replace alcohol (hopefully running ;-)). Know what you mean about giving up if you 'have to'. Same here, both pregnancies, but that was cos I was responsible for some elses health.
02/01/2007 at 14:52
I'm nowhere near the point where I could give up drink completely either. But, I feel I've come to the point where I've GOT to cut down.

I've got to replace the 'craving' for a drink I get after 6.00pm ish with something else. I'm going to see what the supermarket's got in the way of interesting soft drinks on the way home and try to go without any alcohol tonight.

Thanks for the kind words and support running caz & kathy, they really do help.
02/01/2007 at 14:58
I go to the gym now at 6, then for a swim straight after so im not home and settled til 7.30ish. Im going to train myself to have a hot chocolate in the eve instead of the case of wine. Then to bed. I bet we all start sleeping much better after a few weeks too............
02/01/2007 at 15:01
Medals, I have emptied my Fridge of bottles of Grolsch and given away a 24 crate of Kronenbourg I got for christmas, In readiness.

I find come about 8pm and I crave a can/pint. Sitting down and watching a film is another action I find hard to do without alcohol, I guess I have got to a point where my mind associates watching a good DVD with wading through a load of cans.

the only slight hiccup in not having a drink tonight is I have just been texted to see if I fancy a few games of pool down the pub tonight.
02/01/2007 at 15:11
JasonX - It's sooo hard isn't it!!! Refuse to become a hermit but going out = 'drink' 10 times more than it does staying in dont you think :-) I wouldn't go!!

KF2 - would prob be much easier if I could get out to excercise but I have 2 little ones and am on me tod so am house bound 5 evenings a week ....... deadly!!
02/01/2007 at 15:11
jason X - sell the TV, and settle down with a good book instead, or listen to Radio 4 with a nice cup of herbal tea!
02/01/2007 at 15:23
KF2, yeah, I thought the same, I could get some good quality hot choc or scholer or something and get an early night.

Tonight however, like you jason, I'm out playing badminton and then onto the pub with a couple of mates. However it'll be good for me. I won't drink in the pub 'cos I'm driving, so my challenge is to NOT have a nightcap when I get home.
Good idea to get the drink out of the house. I've got half a bottle of brandy that, at the moment, I am prepared to pour down the sink. Whether I'll feel the same way later, remains to be seen.
I don't think we should beat ourselves up too much if we find cutting down/cutting out difficult. If you don't start tonight Jason, there's always tomorrow and you've already started by emptying your fridge. Nice one!
02/01/2007 at 15:25
Medals

I've just been to the supermarket for some fizzy flavoured water

..not too many calories...but something to have as a "treat " at 7.00pm .

I have done this over the last few months and it does help me to stay away froma glass of wine.
02/01/2007 at 15:26
Running Caz - i can see why your in need of a few by the end of the day then.That must be very hard.I have 2 boys, 3 & 5, 1 at school and one at pre-school. Hubby takes over at 5.30, does the bath and bedtime stories etc so im very lucky. What about a new hobbie to keep ya mind off drinking?

Jasonx - Go and drink mineral water all night, just to prove you can so it.
02/01/2007 at 15:26
If I am finding it hard I buy AME or aqua libra and drink it out of a wine glass - psychologically it feels better
81 to 100 of 34,306 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.