Online dating sites

Which is the best and are they full of wierdos?

21 to 40 of 86 messages
11/01/2013 at 13:05
Wilkie wrote (see)

Wanted:  man who doesn't mind getting rabbit shit on his feet.  GSOH essential.

That made me LOL

Best thing I found was being a member of a Dramatic Society - had 2 relationships that way plus a couple of dates with a friend of one of those people after we had split up. Also saw a few other couples get together that way. 

Actually it was a bit of a hotbed now I think about it!

11/01/2013 at 13:08

Meeting people online is now the most common way to meet your future partner apparently.

After I seperated from my ex, and after the mandatory few months of thinking that all women were bitches, I signed up for BeNaughty. The clue is in the name there. 

Then I signed up for one of the more 'respectable' sites called DatingDirect where I eventually met my new missus.

Just becasue the website is called BeNaughty doesnt mean to say that everyone is after one thing. And just because the other site is called DatingDirect it doesnt mean that everyone is after finding a future husband or wife. In my experience, you get all sorts of people on both the sites.

11/01/2013 at 13:12
Eggyh73 wrote (see)

d to admit I'm not what the single ladies in my area are looking for and have completely given up on meeting anyone now. Online dating works for some, but I must admit I found it a soul crushing experience.

And this is why people should think twice before leaving the unsatisfactory relationship they find themselves trapped in !    

To be fair though I assume that if Eggyh was female they'd have been offered more dates than they could fit in so it might be worth KKs mate trying these sites.   

11/01/2013 at 13:13

As for uniform dating.com ...Have you seen what us nurses wear nowadays !! ?? lovely baggy comfortable coverall scrubs !!!a long way off the old days of tight tunics and stockings lol (thank christ)

11/01/2013 at 13:16
popsider wrote (see)
Eggyh73 wrote (see)

d to admit I'm not what the single ladies in my area are looking for and have completely given up on meeting anyone now. Online dating works for some, but I must admit I found it a soul crushing experience.

And this is why people should think twice before leaving the unsatisfactory relationship they find themselves trapped in !    

Sorry I dont agree, you SHOULD leave an unsatisfactory relationship,no one is trapped... just dont rush into another !!! its not against the law to be single

Edited: 11/01/2013 at 13:17
11/01/2013 at 13:32

I don't know whether it depends what age you are? Quite a few of my friends (both men and women, in their mi-late 20s/ early 30s) have had reasonable success on match (i.e. people reply, they've had few dates and a couple have had medium term romances). The other one that I've heard raved about is the guardian- apparently the men on their are just much nicer than on other websites. 

11/01/2013 at 13:38

Penguingirl, the age thing is probably an awful lot to with it, I think younger people have more success on the sites as the people they are meeting of a similar age will automatically come with less lifetime baggage children , lunatics ex wives/husband etc also they are more willing to give and be open, whereas older people have more emotional hangups and insecurities along with the baggage !!

11/01/2013 at 13:44

I'm late 30's (39 now). When I tried the online sites I was (36-38). Maybe I just have to accept to being an ugly big git. Although I did find many women on their 30's had a cut off age of 35, even if they were older than 35! Perhaps I should just start subscribing to the Peoples Friend and start buying some boiled sweeties.

I don't agree anyone should accept an unsatisfactory relationship though. Sure work at a relationship, but not just stay in one to avoid single life.

Edited: 11/01/2013 at 13:44
11/01/2013 at 13:46
Night Nurse wrote (see)
popsider wrote (see)
Eggyh73 wrote (see)

Sorry I dont agree, you SHOULD leave an unsatisfactory relationship,no one is trapped... just dont rush into another !!! its not against the law to be single

Quite right - you shouldn't stay if you're unhappy just out of fear of being without a partner.

I spent two years single, but I was fine on my own!

Dark Vader    pirate
11/01/2013 at 13:53

Two friends of mine used an agency in London and successfully found new partners who they have since married.  The agency had a process which required an interview and an upfront fee..  it was quite substantial..  I think about £700 or something like that...  I suppose this prevents time wasters joining...    then, the agency selects possible matches..

In both cases, I think they settled on the second person they met...   it obviously worked for them...

11/01/2013 at 14:10
Eggyh73 wrote (see)

I'm late 30's (39 now). When I tried the online sites I was (36-38). Maybe I just have to accept to being an ugly big git. 

You firstly MUST STOP putting yourself down

11/01/2013 at 14:12
Dark Vader wrote (see)

Two friends of mine used an agency in London and successfully found new partners who they have since married.  The agency had a process which required an interview and an upfront fee..  it was quite substantial..  I think about £700 or something like that...  I suppose this prevents time wasters joining...    then, the agency selects possible matches..

In both cases, I think they settled on the second person they met...   it obviously worked for them...

I looked into one of those agencies, can't remember the name now, during quite a long period of being single. (I actually really enjoyed being single, by the way, but it had been about 4 years and I was starting to think I'd quite like not to be!).

As DV says, you have an interview so they build up quite an extensine profile on you and what you're after, and the agency actually puts you in touch with suitable matches rather than you having to trawl through hundreds of unsuitable people online.

I think their success rate was quite high, but it was expensive - There were 3 or 4 different levels of membership (ranging from about £500 to £2000 if I remember).

It's intended for people who are seriously looking for a long term partner. Whereas if it's just for fun and dates with lots of different people, the online option is probably better.

Edited to say: I went for the interview, but didn't sign up in the end as my circumstances changed.

Edited: 11/01/2013 at 14:14
11/01/2013 at 14:31
ghost of kittenkat wrote (see)

My sister in law found her latest hubby online.

You make it sound like Ebay, can you get rid of them there as well?

11/01/2013 at 14:36
JF50 wrote (see)

JF50 wrote (see)

You make it sound like Ebay, can you get rid of them there as well?

Edited: 11/01/2013 at 14:37
11/01/2013 at 14:36

( resists railway joke)

11/01/2013 at 14:41
Barkles wrote (see)

( resists railway joke)

Go on what railway joke ? or am I being thick ?

11/01/2013 at 14:44

.. online .. which?   etc etc, potentially poor taste hence the resisting..

bugger

11/01/2013 at 14:44

tied to the line etc

11/01/2013 at 14:49

Do you put GSOH in your profile BARKLES ? 

11/01/2013 at 14:50

If you think that's a good idea NN!?

21 to 40 of 86 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.