Online dating sites

Which is the best and are they full of wierdos?

61 to 80 of 101 messages
11/01/2013 at 16:26
Eggyh73 wrote (see)

My experience of online dating sites was awful, but I'll give my honest opinion on the ones I tried.

Match: ,. You also can't tell who may have let their account lapse and never deleted their account. This gives you a false impression on the amount of active users in the area.

There used to be a filter option of "online in last week". That instantly removes the problem you mention.

kittenkat    pirate
11/01/2013 at 16:26
Barkles wrote (see)

Isn't Fat Buddha technically a cv lover?

Well he's prolific, so I guess he must enjoy them.

11/01/2013 at 16:27

Not going to names names, each to their own it was really mentioned to draw attention to peoples narrow field of view sometimes

kittenkat    pirate
11/01/2013 at 16:28

I'm going to have a look at a few, and explain my browsing history to hubby when he comes back from walking the dog

11/01/2013 at 16:29

KK your friends sounds alot like me - I know I seem a bit quirky to lots of people but keep an open mind

kittenkat    pirate
11/01/2013 at 16:29
Maddy. wrote (see)

Not going to names names, each to their own it was really mentioned to draw attention to peoples narrow field of view sometimes

There used to be quite a few forumites shagging each other back in the days Also I can think of quite a few people who have met on here. I have an idea!

kittenkat    pirate
11/01/2013 at 16:35
11/01/2013 at 16:49
kittenkat wrote (see)

I'm going to have a look at a few, and explain my browsing history to hubby when he comes back from walking the dog

Ha, I know the feeling! I set up a match.com account to try and find one of my friends' profiles (a male) to send to one of my other friends as I have been threatening to set them up for ages and they both use match, but you can't browse without an account. No matter how much I try and report the match.com emails as spam, every now and then one still sneaks through! 

kittenkat    pirate
11/01/2013 at 17:00
penguingirl wrote (see)
kittenkat wrote (see)

Ha, I know the feeling! I set up a match.com account to try and find one of my friends' profiles (a male) to send to one of my other friends as I have been threatening to set them up for ages and they both use match, but you can't browse without an account. No matter how much I try and report the match.com emails as spam, every now and then one still sneaks through! 

Lol, I'm actually looking forward to helping her with this. We had a conversation about this at work today and several people in the office said it was how they found their current partner.

12/01/2013 at 00:32

Ancient yet still possibly relevant blog post summarising various sites (not by me): http://www.datingmonkey.blogspot.co.uk/2006/04/datingmonkeys-guide-to-uk-internet.html

I have used Guardian Soulmates in the past as have friends and it's been quite good for meeting people you can at least bear to spend an evening with. My best friend met her partner on it.

Edited: 12/01/2013 at 00:33
18/01/2013 at 18:14

If it's for men, try plentyoffish, I've had loads from this site, like shooting fish in a barrel. Alll you have to do is pretend you're looking for a full on relationship to get the dates, then take her out on a well organised date, then before your second date you simply tell her you've had offers of "just for fun" dates, and hey presto - Bang!! Naughty but nice

18/01/2013 at 20:33

And Nick's post superbly illustrates the big problem with online dating. Someone pretending he's after something else, using someone and then those people become suspicious of everyone on the site and thus making it ten times harder for those actually looking for relationships.

20/01/2013 at 01:24
Come on read your own post, you say you wrote countless messages over a couple of years, got yourself a handful of replies and two dates, I don't mean to be cheeky but I could pull in two dates from the local nunnery. So please don't blame me for your run rate
20/01/2013 at 09:23

I'm more with Nick on this...

Though pof isn't quite all black and white, different people will be looking for different things depending on who they're talking to. It's wrong to class everyone who's had a one night stand on there as just wanting a one night stand, they could be very serious about find the right person, just that they weren't the one, but they fancied the pants off them, why not? I'm talking about both sexes.

Eggyh73, you must be doing something seriously wrong not to pull on pof, it's practically impossible to NOT get a date if you want one. I got invited to a party last night but couldn't be arsed by a woman who literally made contact yesterday for the first time, she gave me her number within 1hr without asking for it! last weekend I went for a drink with a woman on Friday night, got home looked on pof and another one asked me to meet her for breakfast?! I declined and met her in the afternoon instead! lol I had another date arranged (different woman) for the evening but that got cancelled same on Monday!

By the way, I have met a couple of women on there who I saw for a few months each, so it's not all fun and games, there's also some very desperate women out there who wanted to be my girlfriend, one even offered for me to be a kept man, live at hers rent free, no bills, food paid for, she was totally serious all I had to do was er... be there!

20/01/2013 at 12:42
I guess I'm just that undateable then. Although my experience of dating sites ties in with a lot of peoples accounts of them that I've talked too.

I would say Nick your attitude is a problem though, if you are selling yourself as looking for a relationship just to get laid. I read constant complaints on profiles of women feed up with guys claiming they where looking fora relationship when all they wanted was a leg over.
20/01/2013 at 13:46

Nicks attitude isn't really a problem its just different to yours..there are plenty of men and women for that matter that carry on like that, online dating or not..

Women and men in general just have to wise up and not be so naive, its a different world out there now..

I feel sorry for those who really cant be genuinely happy on there own, 

20/01/2013 at 13:55
So lies and deceit are ok! Lovely.
20/01/2013 at 14:07

No of course not, thats not what I said..it just life ..it takes all sorts, some people are very sensitive and shouldn't just take things at face value, you sound very similar to a friend of mine whose husband left her after 25 years..( yes a friend really not me  I couldn't stick anyone that long lol ), and I worry about her she is sure she will just meet someone and settle down again and believes its all going to be so easy its women like that that end up getting hurt and used, I sometimes envy in a way people with that attitude they come across as warm and giving which isnt a bad thing but it is mistaken for desperate behavior.. whereas women like myself get called bitter..its not bitterness is just reality, and just getting on with life and loving what you have ..without relying on another person to make you complete

20/01/2013 at 14:13
People are different. I don't disagree with that.

My comments where based on Nicks advice that guys should claim to be looking for relationships just to get laid. That's nothing but lies and deceit and on dating sites that creates nothing but lack of trust for those really looking for relationships and not just sex.

His advice also assumed guys want nothing more than cheap one night stands.
Edited: 20/01/2013 at 14:22
20/01/2013 at 14:23

You are only open to being treated badly if you are naive, I tell my friend what men can be like and she has led such a sheltered life I am concerned..

But !! having said that a relative of mine in her late 40s  divorced met a man on match and moved in with him within months of her own 22 year marriage ending, I was horrified thinking things were moving too quickly ,,,but 2 years later the relationship is thriving and he is a lovely bloke..

Personally though I wouldn't do online dating ..not because of all the issues around it I am fortunate enough to be happy being single..I have a nice life

Off to run 20 miles now..

Edited: 20/01/2013 at 14:25
61 to 80 of 101 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.