Online dating sites

Which is the best and are they full of wierdos?

1 to 20 of 86 messages
11/01/2013 at 08:00

a friend.. right..;)

11/01/2013 at 08:16

what does she want?

love and marriage?

or no strings attached sex with married men?

11/01/2013 at 08:28

Blimey KK that is a tough requirement, and you say she's single, how surprising!

11/01/2013 at 08:48

so you are actually looking for one full of weirdos rather than trying to avoid them?

Edited: 11/01/2013 at 08:48
11/01/2013 at 09:06

so you are looking for a website full of weirdos.........

11/01/2013 at 10:16
Friends Re-United worked for me !
11/01/2013 at 10:24

Dave it doesn't sound as though anybody from her past would be suitable, they know her!

11/01/2013 at 11:04

Aah that will make all the difference

11/01/2013 at 11:26

Wanted:  man who doesn't mind getting rabbit shit on his feet.  GSOH essential.

11/01/2013 at 11:29
JF50 wrote (see)

Blimey KK that is a tough requirement, and you say she's single, how surprising!

Nothing wrong with being fussy, better to be single than settle for 2nd best.

11/01/2013 at 11:49

My experience of online dating sites was awful, but I'll give my honest opinion on the ones I tried.

Match: A pay site. Due to that not many time wasters, or people creating false accounts. The downside is the site is set-up to trick the user into thinking there are more people registered than there actually are. You can create an account but never pay and thus you can not message or respond to messages, but you have no vision of who has paid and who hasn't. You also can't tell who may have let their account lapse and never deleted their account. This gives you a false impression on the amount of active users in the area.

Plenty of Fish: Free site and comes will all the troubles of being free. If you are a woman and reasonably attractive expect your inbox to be bombarded with messages and have to wade through the dross of sex messages and guys just writing "hi" to find those actually serious and making an effort.

If you are male expect to send numerous messages and get no response, even when you have spent time reading profiles and writing a message based on what the lady has written. That is if she can muster more than "I don't know what to write, message me lol" for her profile. The mantra for PoF is 'no reply is a reply'. The place has many users, but how many are seriously on there looking for a relationship is anyone's guess. Lot's of married/in relationship people looking for a one nighter among the singles actually looking.

Also the more popular people will often become serial daters, as they have a never ending line of new fish chasing them.

OKCupid: Was sparsely used in my area, but I believe it's popular in other regions. Another free site, but not as much of a meat market as Plenty of Fish. I can't really comment to much on it, as the user base was very low and thus I ended up hardly using it.

Guardian Soulmates: A pay site, but not many users in my area again. Those on it seem genuine enough, but like Match has the same pay site issue that you can't tell what users are fully paid up active members and who have created accounts but have never paid up.

My overall experience. In two years of online dating I couldn't tell you how many messages I ended up sending out. At least a few a week over two years, so a good number. I read each profile and tailored my message to the lady asking questions about interests we shared etc. I can tell you from that I had two dates, and only ever had replies from five different user. I got the online equivalent of radio silence when I asked if the other three would like to meet in person. Neither of the dates got past date one.

If you do it you need to be mentally strong to put up with the flaky nature of many users. Expect people to not respond. Expect someone you have been talking to just to suddenly stop. Expect that even though you've messaged each other that if you ask to meet up they may just disappear. Expect that many use old photos, lie about their age etc.

After two years I'd had enough. I had to admit I'm not what the single ladies in my area are looking for and have completely given up on meeting anyone now. Online dating works for some, but I must admit I found it a soul crushing experience.

11/01/2013 at 12:04

I was single for two years, and never even thought about using on-line dating.  From what Eggy says, I'm glad I didn't!

Sounds grim.

11/01/2013 at 12:14

There are quite a few women I work with who have/are using the sites, there are some hilarious stories from some and some tragic one from others.

One woman met and married someone who said he had never been married and didnt have any kids facts that were also assured by his parents.But after getting married she discovered the 7 year old she had seen photos of at his parents house and had been told was his nephew was actually his son he didnt give a toss about !!

But I guess you could meet that kind of t**t anywhere to be honest.

11/01/2013 at 12:18
Wilkie wrote (see)

I was single for two years, and never even thought about using on-line dating.

I've been single for over four years now. I used online as I never meet single women. All my friends are married with kids. I work in a very male dominated industry and my days of pubbing and clubbing are long behind me now.

I thought it would be a good way to try and meet new people. It wasn't for me. It was good and destroying any ego I may have had. It was an eye opening experience, but if I could have those two years back I'd taken them. I'd hate to think how many hours I wasted on those sites.

I see this forum as something that shows how great the web can be. People from all over giving advice, having a laugh and helping each other out. I found online dating to be the web highlighting the worst of human nature.

11/01/2013 at 12:36

I met a few single men (via the gym and my running club), but had only two dates in two years.

It was actually through this site that I met my partner - at a social 

There have been quite a few couples who've got together that way, over the years, now I think about it!

Edited: 11/01/2013 at 12:38
11/01/2013 at 12:46

One of my mates meet his now fiance through e-harmony. I know a couple of other people who've tried match and ended up in long term relationships. Plenty of Fish seems like much more of a "casual...." site from what I've heard.

11/01/2013 at 12:53

I've used OK Cupid and Plenty Of Fish. Had a few dates and a relationship that lasted about a year.

OK Cupid is better, I like the matching system - you answer questions, say which answers are acceptable and how important it is. Users (the women at least) seem to be taking it more seriously - i.e. actually putting a reasonable amount of information in their profiles.

Plenty Of Fish has more users, but it's harder to work out who would be a good match. A lot of users just seem to stick a couple of pictures up and write one short paragraph that doesn't tell you much about them. Women on there frequently complain about the volume of cut and paste messages they receive, men complain about sending huge numbers of messages and getting no replies.

11/01/2013 at 12:54

Yes to be fair, I know several people who have success, 2 friends now married to chaps they met on match, and 1 friend happily living with a chap she met on there. i guess its down to expectations....lower them and you wont be disappointed ..lol

11/01/2013 at 12:55

PS - I'm single and slightly desperate, so if she's anywhere near Hampshire tell her to drop me a line.

11/01/2013 at 13:00

Have you tried fitnessingles ? 

1 to 20 of 86 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.