Our relationship with animals

1 to 20 of 25 messages
seren nos yn canu    pirate
22/05/2012 at 07:55

they are still animals .......although for some people maybe replacement kids .......can't believe the number of animals that have facebook pages and people actually friend them..........

sorry i love animals and pets but in the end they are animals.........

22/05/2012 at 08:00
I certainly hope people don't stop keeping pets or I would be out of a job!

I am not sure about co-dependency but 99% of owners have a healthy relationship with their animal with a lot of mutual affection and respect for what they are. I despair a little bit when people treat animals as furry people and expect them to behave as such .... dressing them up, feeding them human food, generally anthromorphasising (prob spelled wrongly) them ...

I shall ponder this more today ....
22/05/2012 at 08:04

I think in a vague, not fully thought through way, I think it's pets in cages that I have a problem with.
Though I guess that has grey areas - I'm not sure what I think of e.g. rabbits that are only caged at night.

And I would count a fish tank as a cage.

Birds in cages really upset me.

22/05/2012 at 08:40
I don't mind the pet FB pages as thats nothing to do with the animal, they dont read or write so no pressure on them at all. Its just another type of alter ego or pseudonym.
22/05/2012 at 08:58

What exactly is your friends issue with it?  Is it the antromophasising?  Or that pets are abused, whereas working animals (for example) are not because they are useful?  Or that animals are animals and shouldn't be kept in the house?

22/05/2012 at 09:07

I always cringe when I see dog lovers letting their pets lick them on the mouth. This stems from an incident from when I was a kid when a dog which had been following a couple of us around gulped down a massive steaming turd my mate had just laid. That'll put hairs on your chest Fido.

22/05/2012 at 09:12

My goldfish, Beckham, is the best friend I ever had. I love that guy. And I know he loves me.

22/05/2012 at 10:02
RicF wrote (see)

I always cringe when I see dog lovers letting their pets lick them on the mouth.

Me too - it really makes my flesh crawl. 

Pets in general I don't feel either way about, as long as they are well-treated and cared for. 

Dressing dogs/cats up and so on makes me wonder whether the owner is looking for a child substitute rather than a pet.

22/05/2012 at 10:50

I don't have a problem with pets so long as they are well cared for.   I don't really have a problem with people letting dogs lick them or people who dress their dogs up either. I think there's some research showing people that grow up with pets are less likely to suffer allergies, asthma etc when they are older - and they are good for reducing stress apparently - though I don't think that applies to dogs like our youngest one the little ****.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
22/05/2012 at 11:05

I have a problem with people who treat their dogs as children, but I think there are many good reasons for children to grow up keeping pets. Also, dogs make a valuable contribution to society as long as they are properly trained and understand their place in the pecking order. We have a group of therapy dogs near to us, they and their owners regularly visit the old folks home and bring a bit of enjoyment to the people there. Guide dogs for the blind and deaf - what a joy they are for their owners. Police dogs - working in partnership with their handlers. Rescue dogs digging buried people out from disasters. I was 11 when we got our first dog in the family and she helped a shy girl make many friends.

22/05/2012 at 11:11

it is a bit sad to anthropomorphise animals or treat them as children but some of us arent lucky enough to have a family, so a wee dog or something is the next best thing. but i do take the point.

my dog is good company for me and though he is still an animal he is my family.

22/05/2012 at 11:34

My dad was very anti pets; the sort who thought the only dogs that people should have were working dogs. We eventually got a cat when I was about 14, dad always acted like he had no time for it, but when he thought there was no one else around you could hear him talking to him and playing with him. The cat always seemed drawn to my dad.

We have (two kids), a dog and a cat. I talk to the animals all the time, I love them, they're great company in a different sort of way from people company.

I do get annoyed with people who own dogs but don't walk them enough and / or over feed them. Also, dogs do have to know their place, we're still working on this one though as our dog definitley thinks he's one of the kids 

22/05/2012 at 12:23

i have 4 cats. I don't see a poblem with having 'pets'. Maybe it's the concept of pet. Cats are always the boss. Though I do have rules and non apart from the newest cat we have has ever broken them.

I don't allow the cats on the kitchen work surface, only the most recent member of the family has gone up on the work surface and he gets told off every time he does.

I don't think humans are any better than animals. My cats are equal - in rights - they get love warmth and food. They have a home in which they can feel secure and be free from harm or injury.

My cats don't get fed human food apart from fish and chicken. They don't ever get fed scraps from our plates.

I think cats are different to dogs. They don't need to be told the pecking or pack order. They just learn and my cats certainly never push the boundaries. Much as everyone says that it's cat's that own the human, I don't think it is.

22/05/2012 at 12:49

Humans have kept animals as pets for thousands of years. As an example, look at the remote tribes that have existed around the world, far away from the Western idea of keeping pets, yet whenever contact was made they had animals kept as pets. What has changed is that some people seem to have become so disconnected from the reality of nature that they have lost sight of the fact that we are top of the food chain and the dominant animal on the planet, and for some strange reason they seem to think that this makes them more enlightened than the rest of us!

Edited: 22/05/2012 at 12:52
22/05/2012 at 13:21
I believe man and fish can live together in harmony.
22/05/2012 at 13:32

I do my best, but it's very difficult with some of you.

seren nos yn canu    pirate
22/05/2012 at 13:36

or is that dog and fish

22/05/2012 at 13:45

I think pets can make a great companion but you have to realise that they're pets and need the rules and boundaries. I think you should only have a pet if you can take care of it and provide for it as it needs.

22/05/2012 at 13:48
Johnny Blaze wrote (see)
I believe man and fish can live together in harmony.

Me too!

http://www.drumnadrochit.info/businessimages/fish-and-chips.jpg

22/05/2012 at 15:23

If I see a dog out with its owner and the moment seems right I may stop and pet it. Though my feelings are  vaguely uncommitted, similar to "nice dog but why is it hanging out with people?"

When I am out on a run and I see a fox and they see me and stop, that to me is the relationship I prefer. Them over there we over there eyeing each other up over a gulf, then it runs off and I do too.

On occasion I cycle round Richmond park and last time the traffic had to stop for some deer to cross or not cross the road. Nature called a halt on our little lives and there was nothing we could do.

I basically have no desire to "know" or control animals at all, I could happly live in a country with wolves in the forests and bears in the woods. If I went for a run I would stay away from their patch and they would stay away from mine.As a kid I lived in area with Adders, there were signs saying stay away Adders. i stayed away.

Simples!

Edited: 22/05/2012 at 15:29
1 to 20 of 25 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.