Pancakes

1 to 20 of 30 messages
11/11/2002 at 12:43
With lemon and suger and butter

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
11/11/2002 at 12:47
Is it Friday already!

Hang on.....12:45 and I'm not down the pub........Oh Mercury you tease, it's Monday isn't it. Doh! :)
11/11/2002 at 12:49
Sorry I've been at work since 0630 and I'm hungry
11/11/2002 at 12:55

Mercury

Wrong time of year surely?

SR
11/11/2002 at 13:00
It's never the wrong time of year for pancakes.
11/11/2002 at 13:49
I thought they were only called pancakes in February, and the rest of the year they were called "crepes" because it sounds more pretentious.
11/11/2002 at 13:53
They were giving away free samples of pancakes in my local supermarket on Friday. With blueberry jam. Yum.
11/11/2002 at 15:12
I like gravy on mine.
Funny I know but there ya go........
11/11/2002 at 15:29
Scotch pancakes. Hot off the girdle (yes, girdle, not griddle), sprinkled with lemon juice and sugar or spread with jam.

Nobody would DARE call them crepes. They'd get a Glesca Kiss if they did.

Gaz, my gran used to make something called "beggars pancakes", which were more like johnnycakes or what they call "biscuits" in the Deep South. They're lovely with gravy.
11/11/2002 at 15:38
That one always brought a puzzled smile to my face when I'd see on the breakfast menu in Washington DC - "Biscuits with Sausage Gravy"
I never dared try it. All the other breakfast foodstuffs were so laden with sugar that somehow it seemed plausible that their idea of a biscuit might actually be the same as mine!
11/11/2002 at 15:45
RossB, we where in Calafornia last year and my daughter had sausage and egg biscuits for breakfast in Mcdonalds, they are not what we know as biscuits, but cant remember what they were I will have to ask her.........
11/11/2002 at 16:01
Vrapp, Beggers Pancakes sound just the job to me.
Hungry now.........
11/11/2002 at 16:17
Pancakes are one of the reasons I put on so much weight when I lived in USA. Getting a bit foody this thread today - methinks people are craving some winter warmers
11/11/2002 at 16:21
Spooky!!!!!!!!
Me and Mrs C had impromptu pancakes last evening!
Anyone got a recipe for Scotch pancakes? This is a serious request! How about you V-rap?
WildWill    pirate
11/11/2002 at 16:21
With honey and banana

Or

Toast Toppers
11/11/2002 at 17:11
with blackpepper and salt - like a big flat yorkshire pud, then after that with a few bits of very dark chocolate melted inside them!
11/11/2002 at 17:25
Codfather, I will get out my recipe book and e-mail you my Scotch pancake recipe later. Can't quite remember it because I haven't made pancakes since doing a bumper batch for a party on Shrove Tuesday. My mum used to make them while we kids hung around like fledglings waiting to stuff them in our beaks before they had cooled. We had beggars pancakes with salt for breakfast as a special treat when staying with Gran. That or really wonderful porridge - still don't know what her secret was.

Remember The Pancake Place? I wonder if McD put it out of business?
11/11/2002 at 17:28
Sugar and lemon, classic, my fave.
cougie    pirate
11/11/2002 at 17:33
Sugar and lemon but NO butter ! My wife does that - weird woman !

We used to have a restaurant The Pancake Kitchen round here. Everything you like so long as there was a Pancake in it. I loved that place !

Definitely a niche there to be filled.

(as my tum needs filling now - all this talk of food !)
11/11/2002 at 21:05
Codfather, I've just realised you can't be e-mailed from here, so here is my mother's Scotch pancake recipe.

Sift together 8oz. self-raising flour and 2 dessertspoonfuls of caster sugar. Make a well in the centre and add one egg, one dessertspoonful of golden syrup (or treacle if you're making treacle pancakes) and enough milk to make a soft dropping consistency. Beat for a few minutes then leave to sit until bubbles rise to the top of the mixture.
Drop spoonfuls of the mixture on to a hot, lightly greased girdle (I use the hotplate of my ancient gas cooker because I haven't inherited the family girdle yet). Turn them with a metal spatula or fish slice when bubbles appear on the surface.
If not eating them immediately, place a tea towel on a wire rack and put pancakes on top and cover with another tea towel until cool.
They keep for a few days in an airtight tin, freeze very well, and can be reheated in the microwave.
I normally make a double quantity.
1 to 20 of 30 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.