Parental leave for sick kids

1 to 20 of 47 messages
27/10/2008 at 10:58

My 15 year old son has broken his leg and is on crutches for 6 weeks.  In this enlightened age, what is considered reasonable time off work  to look after him?

27/10/2008 at 11:19

Not sure on the HR implications - but he'll probably be sick of the sight of you after a fortnight.

Good luck

27/10/2008 at 11:27

he is too old to come under the most recent legislation, i would check with your HR department

if it was my son he would be left at home to fend for himself whilst i went to work

cougie    pirate
27/10/2008 at 11:29
I broke my leg and only missed about a days work. If he's 16 - he must be able to fend for himself a bit ?
27/10/2008 at 11:55

15.  I am sure he will be flying around in a few days when the pain eases and he gets used to the crutches  but for the moment he's been hit for 6.  Me & mrsP leave at 7:30 and don't get home till 6, it's a long time to be on your own for 6 weeks.  I thought the odd late start/early dart would be reasonable, plus time off for clinics & physio?

As for HR  here, Genghis Khan had to leave, he thought it was a bit of a harsh regime. 

TBH I don't take much notice of current workplace practices, like most people I just get on with it and work it out but on this occasion I just thought a bit of friendly advice might come in handy for when I have to put family first. 

27/10/2008 at 12:01

Hopefully there will be a HR bod along soon - but I was under the impression that you're entitled for some paid time off in case of emergencies like this. 

Depends on the individual company policy how much?

27/10/2008 at 12:01

maybe just take a sicky mr puffy

easier i think - i know new legislation came in for parental leave but it was for kids born after 200 - i only know as i have one
you are probably better off asking on a parent forum - somwhere like mumsnet or whatever its called

i was half joking about leaving my precious babies alone - i would not leave them in pain all alone, i was thinking about the time when they are used to the critches and are really just sitting around with the playstation/xbox/dvd/tv and actually don't need you there

i am here at home with mine for half term and an off to see high school musical with the youngest today - the odler two have grunted at me a few times and are mostly just "chillin"

27/10/2008 at 12:02

i do not have a 1008 year old child

27/10/2008 at 12:04

parental leave

it reads like gobledegook to me but i am sure read slowly it makes sense

27/10/2008 at 12:06

Our Emergency Leave for Dependents policy is that under such circumstances a parent would be allowed to take 'reasonable' time off to care for a dependent, but it would be unpaid.

They could, of course, take time from their paid holiday allowance, too.

Parental leave does only apply to new babies or adoptions, then up to the child's fifth birthday (or fifth anniversay of adoption).

Edited: 27/10/2008 at 12:11
27/10/2008 at 12:06

All the places I worked for had  'compassion leave' - I think it was up to 5 days' that you can take to care for a relative who is unwell or if somebody dies etc. With a sympathetic boss you can take more time off, I think, and work flexi hours...

I  would take a sickies as last resort  - if we take sickies to cover up that we need to care for our families this will ultimately lead to a very harsh workplace where these things aren't tolerated. 

27/10/2008 at 12:07
The 5 days of compassionate leave are PAID days.
27/10/2008 at 12:09
there is a stutory entitlement to parental leave though stellina - on top of your entitlement to compassionate leave - which i believe is given at a managers discretion and is specific to your employer
PloddingOn    pirate
27/10/2008 at 12:10

Compassionate leave is NOT a legal requirement

Unless you are the person organsing the funeral - in which case you get one day to organise and one to attend the funeral

27/10/2008 at 12:14

Sure Lurker that was to add on to what you mentioned, since I too believe that parental leave applies only for children under 6. 

P.O - I did not say it was, just mentioned that all the places I worked for had it so perhaps it is worth of mr Buffy to check.

But then, we get a lot of holiday allowance too so perhaps I am just lucky to work in a human-friendly environment where ahem... employers are considered an asset.

PloddingOn    pirate
27/10/2008 at 12:17

Sorry Stellina - yeh some places offer it kindly

Others don't.

My bad 

27/10/2008 at 12:22
Hey PO babes!
27/10/2008 at 12:28

I wouldn't take a sickie, I would be happier just taking the time off and fielding the flak really. My line manager is quite decent, but only works part time so I end up arguing the toss with a couple of directors who just don't give a monkey's.  We did have a ecent HR person but she got no support  so she left.  Now its one of the consultants, again only part-time

Being paid doesn't really matter either, I'm not anticipating having a huge amount of time off,  just so I know he's safe really.

thanks for the link Lurker, it obviously applies to younger kids but there is a link on that page that I will look at more closely at home. 

PloddingOn    pirate
27/10/2008 at 12:42
Heya Stellina! Good to see you back
27/10/2008 at 14:01

Don't think you will have a  statutory right to parental leave as he's over the age of being covered by current legistlation.  The rules on it are very defined.

Compassionate leave and emergency leave to look after dependents aren't a statutory right and would only apply if you it in your contract/handbook.

My rules for compassionate leave are pretty strick and this wouldn't be covered.  We don't have emergency leave but I am always prepared to negotiate on individual circumstances.  I'd say first offer to take some holiday entitlement or ask for flexibility for a couple of weeks (starting earlier & taking couple of hours at lunchtime), making it clear that you will work your weekly hours, just spread about a bit more.  Or ask for some unpaid leave. 

Sounds pretty harsh but I have 45 employees with lots of offspring/partners/grannies and it would be impossible to set down rules to cover what was and wasn't allowed.

1 to 20 of 47 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.