Pass me another pie.....

...a high BMI is fine according to latest research

17 messages
27/05/2010 at 10:42
"overweight" BMI is not linked to poor health at all

an interesting take in the Body Mass Index issue
27/05/2010 at 10:50

"Among the over-forties obese people were significantly more likely to be taking medication for a health problem related to physical factors"

And the conclusion he draws from that is the being fat isn't a health risk - an interesting interpretation of the research to say the least.

27/05/2010 at 11:03
From the article they are discussing BMI.  So we know nothing about how much fat these people are carrying around.  You cant draw the conclusion that being fat isnt a health risk, you can only that being heavy isnt a risk. 
27/05/2010 at 11:06

I've read the original research this article is based on. What a load of nonsense.

The outcome measure was the number of medicaitons a person was taking. This does not necessarily reflect health status at all - a lot of medications taken today are prophylactic, and the gender difference in the number of medications taken was not explained. Could it be that women are more proactive in tackling potential health problems? To imply that having a high BMI is no worse for you than being female is utter nonsense. Additionally, overweight and obesity are chronic conditions. You wouldn't necessarily expect to see significant health costs in the under-40s, but the research concluded that medication loads (again, what a strange choice of a measure for health status ) did significantly increase in the over-40s. Not terribly suprising to see life-long overweight/obesity beginning to take it's toll as you age.

27/05/2010 at 12:30

Here's the abstract - you need a subscription to get the whole article.

The influence of body mass index, age and gender on current illness: a cross-sectional study

B Jarrett, G J Bloch, D Bennett, B Bleazard and D Hedges

Context

Obesity poses a significant health risk, but health risk is not equivalent to actual health status. Further, age and gender might alter the effect of body weight on physical health.Objective:

To determine the relationship between body mass index (BMI), age, gender and current health status.

Design

Data from the 1988–1994, 2003–2004 and 2005–2006 National Health & Nutrition Examination Surveys were weighted to represent the US population. BMI, age, gender and current medication use were analyzed in a sample-adjusted 9071 women and 8880 men.

Main Outcome Measures:

The percentage of participants taking medication and the total number of medications taken.

Results:

In both the 1988–1994 and 2003–2006 data sets, with few exceptions, medication loads did not increase significantly in overweight compared with normal-weight people. Medication loads increased significantly in obese compared with normal-weight people aged 40+, but only marginally at 25–39 years. Medication loads were higher in women than men, but significantly less so in people aged 55–70.

Conclusions:

First, medication loads, a measure of current health status, were increased in obese compared with the normal-weight people, but the effect was mainly at ages over 40 years. In addition, BMI category contributed less to medication loads at ages 25–39 than in older groups. Second, there was little difference in current health status in normal-weight versus overweight people at all ages. Finally, higher medication loads in women than men are more apparent in younger than older people. Although obesity does not substantially affect current health in young people, it is likely that the increased medication loads in obese compared with normal-weight older people originates at least in part from an increased BMI starting at a younger age. Thus, age, gender and onset of high BMI all require consideration when using BMI to assess current health status.

edited because there was some funky stuff going on with formatting

Edited: 27/05/2010 at 12:33
Stump    pirate
27/05/2010 at 12:48

I don't think BMI is supposed to be anything more than a very rough indicator.

It suggests that if you are heavier than the norm group for your height then you are likely different to them.

Extreme cases of 30+ suggest that you may be at risk of obesity related issues. It's not a definitive diagnosis just a guide that tells someone to look closer at your general health.

You can argue about fat % vs weight etc but lets face it the bulk of the population that have a BMI reading over 30 are fat bastards who do no excercise.

OK, you get some weight lifters and athletes etc but as a population group they are dwarfed by the blobbies.

From a public health point of view you can say to folk "here's an index, if you look to be at risk get it checked out."

It's the same as the campaign about waist size, the one where they say if you have a waist size over 40" you are likely to be obsese.

You can pick holes in it from a scientific point of view but it's a valid, easy, indicator.

Ultimately the population is getting fatter, looking at the predictors in the USA the current generation of kids is the first generation to have a lower life expectancy than their parents.

This is a direct result of their current lifestyle choices, ie they eat too much high fat food and do little to no excercise.

27/05/2010 at 12:54
"You can argue about fat % vs weight etc but lets face it the bulk of the population that have a BMI reading over 30 are fat bastards who do no excercise."

errrrm - mine's 33.....

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
27/05/2010 at 13:01
You fat bastards
27/05/2010 at 13:02
ah - mr pot.....

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
27/05/2010 at 13:04
MIne's down to 27 something so nerrr
27/05/2010 at 13:05
pah - lightweight.....
27/05/2010 at 14:04
Well, I'm female, over 40 and  obese, so it looks as if I'm doooooooomed!
Stump    pirate
28/05/2010 at 12:06

I'm obese too, with a BMI the wrong side of FB and do less excercise.

I have changed my diet and started to excercise again. It will come down,  eventually

PloddingOn    pirate
28/05/2010 at 12:12
Cake wrote (see)
To chuffing tall that's his problem. He even leaves food on a BBQ, Madness!!

Because the food is largely burnt and inedible

28/05/2010 at 18:51
Don't eat burnt food. Tis carcinogenic
28/05/2010 at 19:01
28/05/2010 at 19:04
That's wicked, Jeepers! Better than the pie sandwich I had for lunch

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
17 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.