Paula Radcliffe

Will retain her world record

14 messages
09/11/2011 at 21:57
The IAAF has decided to let Paula Radcliffe keep her marathon world record from 2003, after previously saying it would be reduced to a world best because she set the mark in a race with men.
IAAF Council member Helmut Digel told The Associated Press on Wednesday that the governing body will keep the mark in the books despite an August decision to only recognize records achieved in all-women races from now on.

That rule change is still set to come into effect next year, but Digel said Radcliffe's existing record will now be allowed to stand.

The rule change had led to several calls for Radcliffe's record to be kept since the plans were announced at the world championships in Daegu, South Korea.
09/11/2011 at 21:59
Thats good news.  Thanks AllNew
09/11/2011 at 22:02
glad they saw sense!
09/11/2011 at 22:07
Totally common sense. It was a crazy decision to take it away from her.
Dark Vader    pirate
09/11/2011 at 23:26

Good news...  so...  does this mean that men's records will only stand in male only races..?

This means that the records will hardly ever be broken....!

09/11/2011 at 23:51

While I'm glad they've reinstated Paula's time, it seems bizarre to do that but then restrict record attempts to single sex races.  Firstly for the reason DV mentions but secondly because you're then not comparing like with like.

Supposing a woman does 2:14 something in a mixed race (I wouldn't expect it for quite a while) - it will then be adjudged not a world record, even though it was done in the same circumstances as Paula's time.

Edited: 09/11/2011 at 23:52
10/11/2011 at 09:28
I guess that female athletes with a serious chance at the record will make sure they run in women-only races now.
10/11/2011 at 09:59
I dunno - a world record is nice, but it won't keep you warm in your old age like a sizeable donation to the pension fund will.
Race directors can and do hand out bonuses for bettering world record times regardless of whether the time goes officially in the books (at least, if the reports are correct that Geoffrey Mutai got a bonus payout for Boston).
And then there's the time the New York Marathon decided women had to start ten minutes ahead of the men. They all sat down at the start line and started ten minutes late. It's possible there will be a fightback as the IAAF seem not to understand the roadracing world.
10/11/2011 at 10:25

Is it just Paula's world record that will be allowed to stand, or will all the area records and national records also still stand? 

I thought the new rule was ridiculous to start with, but it seems even more ridiculous if they do not apply it consistently.

10/11/2011 at 10:28

Ahh, according to the IAAF statement it looks like any national or area records set in mixed races are gone:

"Following a recommendation by the IAAF competition commission regarding women's world records for road events, IAAF council has approved the continued recognition of the currently existing world records, regardless of the type of race in which they were achieved (mixed or women only) and new records will be officially recognised and ratified only if achieved in women-only races."

http://www.espn.co.uk/athletics/sport/story/120604.html

10/11/2011 at 10:37
I suppose at least it's clear now. Seems wrong though.
10/11/2011 at 11:30
Correct me if I'm wrong but they don't need to enter women only races, just not races where they can be paced by men.

The current practice in London and most other majors now, to start the women's race 3o mins before would mean that these races are perfectly valid for world records.
10/11/2011 at 16:20
The IAAF statement specifically says women-only races ...
10/11/2011 at 23:41
I imagine starting the women first will count as a women only race - they say the terminology hasn't been decided yet which I'm guessing means they'll come out with something along the lines of the men can be on the course at the same time so long as the men don't catch the lead women.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
14 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.