PAULA

FANTASTIC!!!!

21 to 34 of 34 messages
08/11/2004 at 11:18
Normski,

I couldn't agree more on the commentary.... I recognise that it must be hard to maintain the interest/momentum in commentating on a 2hr 20 minute race, I thought this was a particularly poor example.

Ultimately, It's very hard not to be extremely cynical of anything Steve Cram has to say when we all know he's best mates with Paula, and in the aftermath of the post olympic marathon "love-in" interview... hardly sporting journalism at it's most professional.
08/11/2004 at 11:24
erm turn the sound off and provide your own commentary then ?
08/11/2004 at 11:28
Thank's for that - any other useful comments?
08/11/2004 at 11:41
YES , YES , YES - Paula is back.

Fantastic to see her healthy again and doing what she does best - destroying people on the road. Susan C did well to stay with her but have to agree on commentary. They kept saying she was just hanging onto Chep when frankly I thought she looked totally in control. then there was the 'break' for the water station. Afraid that was obvious and while I accept it first time the last time was obvious and thye should knwo where the water stations are. I did turn the commentary off - couldn't hear it for shouting anyway !

This performance won't sit well with the media or at least they won't be able to sit well with a great result having shoved their critcism where the sun doesn't shine.

Still the best and still no quitter. Bring on Helsinki.
08/11/2004 at 11:52
Since Brendan and Crammy could commentate from a studio in London, was it really necessary to fly Sally Gunnell to New York for another less than incisive interview?
Nicko. Hdau    pirate
08/11/2004 at 11:58
Did anyone tape the race? PLEASE say yes !!!!

Can someone lend me a copy so I can watch it and cry as well :)
08/11/2004 at 12:12
Nicko

Can't supply the tape, but I can send you a box of tissues if that would help.
08/11/2004 at 12:12
"This performance won't sit well with the media or at least they won't be able to sit well with a great result having shoved their critcism where the sun doesn't shine."

She did well - the media will praise her, her embarrasing outing at the olympics will be a distant memory and she will get the praise she deserves for her efforts.

Last time out She did shit she and she got dragged across the coals, get over it people thats just the way of the media.

I know some people are having trouble grasping it but, strangely enough, the medias opinion of any top flight sportsperson are often guided by their performances.

Nicko. Hdau    pirate
08/11/2004 at 12:16
Cheers Rocks...SO thoughtful (tw*t)

Never mind all that gumph Jason .....Have you got a tape of the race ???????????
08/11/2004 at 12:22
No, sorry Nicko, I had a a lazy afternoon and sat in and watched it - so didnt have to tape it.
Nicko. Hdau    pirate
08/11/2004 at 12:25
Damn :((((((
Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
08/11/2004 at 12:26
I hate to spoil it for you Nicko......................................................................

Paula won! There, now you don't need the tape ;0)
08/11/2004 at 12:38
Interesting thing in the Times today about what she had just before Athens in her leg. Doesn't sound like much fun having a needle in your leg 4/5 days before the race and all this dried blood coming out... An interesting story that is probably overlooked by the majority of people...
08/11/2004 at 12:50
Jason - Haven't got a problem with coverage of the Olympics themselves. She had a disaster - full stop. The point that was unacceptable was them then saying she was actually rubbish all along and a quitter. That sort of character assassination is not acceptable because it plainly wasn't true.

DB2 - sounds like the Times have written an interesting objective article. If so then good on them. Will try and and take a read.

If was obvious to anybody who a) knows how to run and b) knows anything about Paula - that she had a major problem in Athens. I just wish the media (especially printed) had looked into that.

Bottom line is 2004 was a bad year for Paula - Olympic failure , no medals, no gongs, no positive mention on Sports personality of the year - that is sport and that is fair. However she is NOT a bad runner nor a bad or damaged character and that is totally unfair.

Hell I'm on my soapbox again. Well done Paula

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 34 of 34 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.