PCC elections.

How many of you voted?

21 to 40 of 49 messages
seren nos yn canu    pirate
17/11/2012 at 08:29

If you couldn't get of your arse to make your opinions felt then you have no right to conplain...we live ina  democracy and so have a say in which lot of idiots are in charge.........

by doing nothing then you allow others to decide for you.......so could have changed things but couldn't be bothered

17/11/2012 at 08:33

seren - in which way are you going to deny people the right to complain?

17/11/2012 at 08:35

they should be ignored like rude naughty children........you can go on the naughty step

17/11/2012 at 08:45

I didn't vote.  I didn't know what or who I was voting for so how could I have changed things?

17/11/2012 at 08:59

cinders i  could accepted that from anyone who does not know about the internet or how to use a computer.but all the information about the elections and the candidates is easily accessible..........

i think it was crap that there was so little info handed out in so many places..but on the polling cards they told you where you could find out by computer or by phone.....

in one area of my region there was not a single person who voted.............

17/11/2012 at 09:38

Edited: 17/11/2012 at 09:40
17/11/2012 at 09:50

Oh get off your soap box SN.

I didn't see that this would make a change, is it a new job, what is it for, isn't there someone who already holds that post?  

Edited: 17/11/2012 at 09:51
17/11/2012 at 09:56
As far as I can se this is simply in the hidden Tory party manifesto, to politicise the Police, along with the BBC. The opportunity was there for anyone to take some form of control, imagine mobilising a specific group to take control in an election where less than one in 6 actually vote. Massive lost opportunity.
17/11/2012 at 09:58

I've googled it and still none the wiser as to what they are going to do.  Are they supervisors?

17/11/2012 at 10:21

X Factor is pointless, but there's plenty of idiots that pay money on their telephone bills to vote for the 'artists' on there. Yet some of these people can't be bothered to vote, when it doesn't even cost them to get involved in the democratic process. 

17/11/2012 at 11:07

which is their right

17/11/2012 at 11:36

I eventually went along to vote once I was eventually able to locate my polling station.  I'm new to the area.  In my previous area we used to get a voting card with a nice little map that showed your polling station.  This time I got told the name of the building only.

I promptly lost the card (put it in a safe place) so decided to use the internet to find my polling station.  I could find a list of them all, but nothing that told me what areas they each covered so I was still unsure which was mine.  In the end I decided to just turn up at one on the principle that if it was the wrong one then they could point me in the right direction.

As for the post, I have no idea what I was voting for.  I don't understand the structure of the police and how this post fits into it.  I think it is a new post, which raises the question on why we need it when we didn't have it before.  If its not a new post then who was made redundant to allow it to be filled by the elected candidate?

By the time I had rummaged through all of that I had lost interest in who the actual candidates were and what they stood for.  I put a mark on the voting card but I have no idea whether I made a responsible decision or not, which is as bad as not voting at all.  Lots of extreme political parties get in because the people who vote for them don't understand what they are voting for.  I fear I might have just done the same.

What really makes me angry about this is that we didn't get the change to vote for whether we wanted to change the system.  So many people seem to be against the move but our democratic process didn't allow me a change to have my say.  Really confused.

17/11/2012 at 12:20
I didn't vote for two reasons:

Firstly I really don't know what an elected Commissioner's responsibilities are and how he will be able to administer them.

Secondly, and of more concern, this seems to be a deliberate attempt to politicise the day to day running of the police force, some that should be avoided at all costs.

Also of interest is that on the that Bristol elected an independent non party Mayor, Hartlepool also voted to abolish the post.
17/11/2012 at 13:51

I didn't vote. In the run-up to the election I did not receive a single piece of campaigning literature, and I live in a densely-populated suburb not out in the sticks. I had no idea of who was standing and why and to do what.

Nor am I happy with the concept. It'll encourage party hacks and attention-seekers and I couldn't see a problem with the old system.

17/11/2012 at 15:53

If ever there was a chance to do something this was it, it's abundantly clear to see our Police are very poorly led, and public confidence is rock bottom, they don't seem to be able to coordinate the urgent activities (recent failed searches etc) and generally if there is a two-sided issue they'll hop on the wrong bus. I see the new idea doing nothing for this, but it could have been ideal to put in leaders who will challenge the status quo of poor management and the under-performing element. Wasted! 

17/11/2012 at 16:38

Agreed EKGO but if the candidates can't even be bothered to identify themselves to me, let alone set out their stall, I'm not inclined to think they'll have much impact on a wily chief constable.

18/11/2012 at 18:34

even this thread can't be bothered...

18/11/2012 at 18:42

It's funny how people can always find lots of reasons not to vote. 

18/11/2012 at 18:48

so you keep saying. if it isn't important to people it isn't important to people. if people thought it would affect their lives in any way they would be bothered. but they dont, because it won't.

18/11/2012 at 19:32
Rickster wrote (see)

It's funny how people can always find lots of reasons not to vote. 

It's hard to vote when you haven't been told for whom or what you're supposed to vote ...

21 to 40 of 49 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.