People who own a horse.

1 to 20 of 64 messages
kittenkat    pirate
05/09/2009 at 18:26

How much do they cost to keep on average per month?

A friend and I are considering getting one between us, and we're aware we may not have found all the hidden costs. Anyone like to throw a ballpark figure out there for me?

Ta muchly.

05/09/2009 at 18:41

my other 1/2 keeps a horse - unfort she's out at the mo.

but from memory :

Shoes - put on at £50 - every 6 weeks. also a £10 for trimming feet done every 6 weeks.

the feed approx £15 per week...and prob another tenner more in winter.

then she has the livery on top off that - which is £25 per week - includes them feeding morning and nite and turning out and fetching back in.and then theres worming - believe thats £15 everytime. and don't forget the vet - visits for injury and illness.It's not cheap, if she actually added up what it cost her she's would probably get a very big shock!!

Edited: 05/09/2009 at 18:44
05/09/2009 at 18:54

Why the urge to increase your chances of injury? Lovely creatures. But completely crackers.

Useless fact: a baby foal is stronger than a man.

kittenkat    pirate
05/09/2009 at 18:59

The thing is, I have free access to a horse that I can ride anytime; he's a bit of a drive away though. The friend in question has found a cheap livery stable 5 mins drive away with access to bridleways etc.. Also, that close, I could bring the horse down and ride on the farm here.

We've talked for a while about sharing a horse, we would get one on loan first so that if we didn't suit it, we could give it back.

I've got another friend who would help out with the day to day work, also I think my kids would love it!

It's just the expense...

05/09/2009 at 19:04

Sounds a good deal.

Some basic info here.

kittenkat    pirate
05/09/2009 at 19:06
Cheers.
05/09/2009 at 19:26
Talk to Meldy and Ginger Loon ?
kittenkat    pirate
05/09/2009 at 20:04
Buney wrote (see)
Talk to Meldy and Ginger Loon ?
Yeah, I thought of both of those, Meldy is away at the Vit this weekend.

Haven't seen Loon around for a while, but I'm sure she'll chip in if she sees this.

How are you Buney? Long time, no see
05/09/2009 at 21:04
It's normally about £2.50 a pound if you scout about. Bit tough but if you cook it slowly it's quite nice.
kittenkat    pirate
05/09/2009 at 21:22
Devoted2Distance wrote (see)

I'm 23 and haven't drank since I was 15. Will never touch the stuff again.

Not sure about peaking though... not really that bothered about times, just love running long distance/long distance races. Think I'll probably get more into Ultras as I get older than wanting to improve on speed/times. Doesn't really appeal to me.

Anyone else?

Don Minquez wrote (see)
It's normally about £2.50 a pound if you scout about. Bit tough but if you cook it slowly it's quite nice.

You'd need a BIG pot though!

Look, I was just about to reply to another post but changed my mind.

New toy, multiple stored quotes from different threads, we could be creative with this, if I could be arsed.

M...eldy    pirate
06/09/2009 at 20:00
Mine is at livery as I work shifts, but I pay near on £500 a month all told

What I will say is that sharing one on loan will be a good idea to start with as its a good test of friendship et.c.  Buying one together I would probably advise steering clear of.

Economic climate has seen hay and straw prices almost double this last few years and fuel costs have driven up the cost of bedding et.c.

If you can get a good native breed (like Loons)**  to live out all year then this will further reduce your costs but the general feed and maintenance will be higher.

Insurance is a bit hit and miss IMO,  put away £50 each a month into an account and underwrite yourselves or pay into a premium and enounter all the clauses et.c ... for insurance you will most likely need to have said horse jabbed and passported,  roughly £50 each year.

Shoes, depends on the horse and the amount of growth and road work but Murph is done every six weeks and thats £65 a time,  of course this varies area to area.

Worming - twice a year £30 ish

Rugs,  if he is out full time you will need a couple I would suggest and if they are coming in at night then you will still need a couple and somewhere to hang and dry them,  you need a lot of storage either way for hard feed, bedding, rugs, tack and all the rest of the crap that one gathers ... or is this just me?

There are cheap ways of keeping neds and I know you are fairly rural so this may bring the price down in terms of grazing.

Do your research, do some more research and then check again!!
06/09/2009 at 20:20

mine lives out at grass and  pay £50 a month for the field rent but this doesnt' include any storage or a stable, so I now rent a garage to store all the horse stuff and have space to dry rugs, that's just under £8 a week, but all in all I'd say it averages out to about £150 a month.

as meldy says, mine is much cheaper to keep (welsh cob). she basically doesnt' have any short feed or hay through the summer and has hay in the winter (this will be the first winter living out so not sure yet what the hay will be) but hay can be £2-£4 a bale depending on the area and availablility. always worth a shop round. anddepending on size of the neddy you aer looking at (using about a quarter of a bale a day in the winter possibly more if you need to keep weight on and have poor grazing)

worming twice a year meldy? depends what yard you are on and the method you use, some insist on worming regularly through the summer grazing season and wormers cost anytning from £9 - £15 a go (and depend on size of the neddy) and needs doing every 6 weeks I think in the summer, and gthen you have the twice a year tape worm ones onn top of that plus another one after the first frost for bot flies

shoes... mine doesnt' have shoes, and costs £42 every 8 weeks to have a barefoot trim but as meldy says, varies from horse to horse.

insurance, depensd what you insure, I've only got her insured for the basics, vets third party etc, and for a minimal value, no tack or anything insured.  this reduces the annual outgoing and I think is about £22 a month. 

then of course you've got the flu and tetanus vaccinations which will vary from vet to vet because of call out etc, but looking at an average of £70 ish, flu and tet is annual, tet alone is bi-annual

then teeth rasping and checking, annually, again probably about £70 upwards, depending if sedation is required

then on top of that you have the hidden extras, like they have knackered yet another rug, they keep going through the fencing so you need to buy electric fencing, feed bowls, water buckets, miscellaneous tat you never realised you jjust HAD to have.  miscellaneous important stuff like wheelbarrows, forks, brooms, grooming kit .. it's endless

more hours in a day than you ever imagined possible

paying a premium for someone to look after said neddy if you are ill/on holiday etc

then they WILL GET THINGS WRONG THAT YOU CAN'T CLAIM FOR. so you need to allow to emergency pay outs for lotions and potions and treatments which believe me, bloody well add up. plus horsey first aid kit which will cost about £30 upwards to stock to a decent level and will need replacing when the use by dates expire.  

in the winter you will be up to your eyes in mud and crap, and you will be wondering why no one told you just how cold fingers and feet can actually get without falling off. in teh summer the flies will be driving the horses mental, the ground will be rock hard. horses have no end of imaginative ways of driving you completley mental and losing the will to live. oh, and you might find you need money for a trainer/;instructor to help with said neddy/riding lessons etc

oh and in the summer you need to be prepared to pay a fortune out for fly sprays that don't work but watching said horse scratch itself like mad drives you to give it a go anyway :<

basically, get a horse and wave goodbye to your money

research really carefully as meldy says, and above all take someone who REALLY KNOWS THEIR STUFF if you do go to see prospective horses

Edited: 06/09/2009 at 20:30
M...eldy    pirate
06/09/2009 at 20:27
Two different ends of the spectrum to ponder

and to add,  if you are worming and no one else on  the yard is you may as well throw the money away.

Check the yard you are going to be using and see if thier routine fits with yours,  nothing worse IMO than every bugger turning up and doing things at different times,  if someone is feeding at 6am and yours is left waiting for his for an hour you could find the sh1t kicked out of your stable for that length of time!

IMO if you have one you can ride for nowt then stick with that  
06/09/2009 at 20:32

echo what meldy said 

this is the first and last time we will agree LOL

meldy, seren appears to have leg mites :<  gawd only knows where shje's got them from and from what I can gather they are the absolute devil to get rid of :< got some wash from teh vets but i'll probably have to frontline her or there is an injection they can have :<

M...eldy    pirate
06/09/2009 at 20:35
strange time of the year to get them?  

What I will say is be careful that all the washing doesnt result in mudfever

I would imagine there is an injection you can get but I would think about clipping her legs out as they are probably having a whale of a time in all her feathers 
M...eldy    pirate
06/09/2009 at 20:36
Clipping: equals another expense unless you can do your own

Not sure what the going rate is,  all depends how long it takes and how well behaved they are,  I'd want a fortune to clip anything more than the three times a year mine gets done!!
06/09/2009 at 20:50

yep feathers are gone, scissors did the trick. apprently quite a lot of horses have them at the moment, not on this yard I hasten to add :<

it's one watsh then another one in 10 days time, now I'm putting cream on the scabs/sores. not sure if sudocreme woudl be better as it helps get teh scabs off (this is the reality of horse ownership KK ) or just a healing cream

*sigh* 

she hasn't even got much feather, that's the annoying thing. the vets have given me dermoline wash to try, nearly got bloody killed bathing her when some idiot decided to start shooting in the field next door

M...eldy    pirate
06/09/2009 at 20:52
I would let the wash do its job first as the creams may act as a barrier to the wash getting to wear it needs to ....

Is she losing coat yet?  You may find it improves as the winter coat replaces the summer coat
06/09/2009 at 20:53

KK, can I just add, as an aside

sharing a horse can be an absolute bloody nightmare !!  two different opinions, wanting to ride at the same time, i.e., weekends, different views on tack/training/feed etc etc. I have shared my old mare and I would never ever do it again. just something to consider.

06/09/2009 at 20:54
yes, she's just starting to change her coat. I hope it improves, shes chewing her pasterns and fetlocks raw at the moment. :<  there is loads and loads of thick undergrowth in her fields so i wonder if the little critters are coming from that. in which case this could be a nightmare
1 to 20 of 64 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.