People who say they are proud of being from

1 to 20 of 33 messages
27/02/2013 at 10:28

(insert name of town here)

How can you be proud that you grew up in a certain town, when you had no say in the matter and its pure luck you happen to have been born or raised there.

A guy I used to know came from Sheffield and he said he was proud to be born in Sheffield ...... but surely you can only be proud of something you've achieved. The fact both his parents happen to have been living in Sheffield 9 months after conception had nothing to do with him at all.

I also asked him that if had been born in say Brighton, would he have been proud to have been born and raised in Brighton, or deep down would he have always had a longing for Sheffield even though he had no connection to the place whatsoever.

Edited: 27/02/2013 at 10:29
Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
27/02/2013 at 10:30
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

when you had no say in the matter and its pure luck you happen to have been born or raised there.

Not sure I understand that ?

27/02/2013 at 10:34
Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

when you had no say in the matter and its pure luck you happen to have been born or raised there.

Not sure I understand that ?

Im not sure what bit you don't understand.

So say you are born and raised in Sheffield. How can you be proud of that or even Sheffield. When you were in the womb did you say to your mum, 'Oh can we move to Sheffield please.' .... nope you had no choice in the matter. Also its not like you did anything to create Sheffield into the town it is today, so you can't claim credit for that either.

In short, how can you be proud of something that you had nothing to do with. You never got the choice to live in Sheffield that decision was made by your parents, and the town of Sheffield and how good it is has nothing to do with your either, so how can you be 'proud' of it?

27/02/2013 at 10:39

I'd have to agree with you on this one DF.

Bugger all achievement in being born somewhere, it happens all the time.

Funny thing Bradley Wiggins said about where the best bikers come from, he said they all came from places like France and Belgium, not Kilburn.

Wiggy it turns out was born,

in Belgium.

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
27/02/2013 at 10:39
My parents are / were proud Lancastrians as were all 4 of my grandparents, my folks made the decision not to move out of the county til me and my bro & sis had been born

So it's carrying on a tradition....

I suppose if you are descended from convicts who had no choice of which continent let alone which town it is understandable
27/02/2013 at 10:48

i think hats a bad way to look at it, there is nothing wrong with patriotism, you dont have to have had a choice in where you are born to be glad you happen to have been born there, when people visit me from over seas i am proud to show them round my town and its history,  

27/02/2013 at 10:53

surely you can be proud of where your'e from, as opposed to NOT being proud of where you're from?

27/02/2013 at 10:56

People identify with the community of a certain place, most commonly the place they were born & raised, and they take pride in being part of that community.  That's part of human nature (the "herd" or "pack" instinct).

In the original example, if the colleague had been born in Sheffield but moved to Milton Keynes when he was 2, I doubt there would be any pride in being from Sheffield as they wouldn't identify with that city.  Therefore its not the act of being born there, its the time spent there in their formative years.

I was born in one town (and left when I was 2), moved to three other locations around the British Isles during my childhood years, and stayed in a few different places for a couple of years during my adult life.  I've been in one place for a long time now, but I have no affinity with the area.  It does amuse me when local born & bred people tell me its the "best place in the world". Its not - it has its positive points, it has its negative points just like anywhere else in the British Isles. 

27/02/2013 at 10:57

"there is nothing wrong with patriotism"

Actually there is, and to me it virtually falls under the same category as religion.

27/02/2013 at 10:59

You're thinking of nationalism - not quite the same thing.

27/02/2013 at 11:01
Screamapillar wrote (see)

no im not.

27/02/2013 at 11:05

it's an interesting point

perhaps it doesn't make sense, but I do have a sense of affinity and affection with people from my part of the world (Fife) and I expect other people do of theirs. But not of flags or bollocks like that, just the people, the landscape, the history.

However, i'm not sure I feel pride. Like I don't get when people from a certain area vote en masse for a particular candidate on X-factor because they are from liverpool etc (or at all for that matter ). or if a Fifer was to win an Olympic gold I don't think I'd feel pride or share in their glory...i'd just feel happy.

Edited: 27/02/2013 at 11:06
27/02/2013 at 11:14

The only thing you could say about people from a certain area is that stereotypes occur because generally they are true (or they wouldnt be stereotypes)

So for instance if you were having some Australians around for dinner, you could reasonably assume they would be quite laid back.

If you were having some Irish around for dinner, you could reasonably assume they would be good for a laugh and enjoy a pint or two.

If you had Scousers around for dinner, you could reasonably assume you should hide away the good cutlery.

27/02/2013 at 11:16

no im not.

Yes you are. Go and find a dictionary.

27/02/2013 at 11:16

no im not.

Yes you are. Go and find a dictionary.

wrong ..... and since you are challenging me its up to you produce the evidence.

27/02/2013 at 11:21

I'm proud I left my hometown 4 days after my 18th birthday. I am also proud I outran the mob with the burning torches and pitchforks.

For once I agree with you completely. I am a huge advocate of civic pride but for the life of me why the location your mother's waters broke should somehow define you is beyond me.

My two best mates are Spanish and Romanian and I have more in common with them then my next door neighbours. Travel the world and you discover that every nation comprises roughly the same percentage of wankers and wonders as everywhere else.Your country is not special.

As for national pride, stick it, every international border is just an artificial administrative juristiction, and no I'm not making a point about Ireland. Look at say Russia, or Turkey citizens there at each end of the country will have more in common with a "foreigner" over the border than they will a compatriot from the other side of the country. You could say the same about a Geordie and the Scots against southerners.

Mind you being Northern Irish and living in Essex public it should be safe to assume that I am as thick as two short planks and obssessed with all things Orange including my skin. I'm not. I'm quite pale and it is three planks.

27/02/2013 at 11:22

No it's not.

Incidentally most Americans, especially Republicans, seem to be labouring under the same misapprehension as you, so you're in good company at least.

Edited: 27/02/2013 at 11:23
27/02/2013 at 11:29

Patriotism isn't in OED.  Patriot is:

n. a person who is devoted to and ready to defend his or her country. [based on Greek patrios 'of one's fathers] Patriotic adj. Patriotism. n.

Nationalism

n. 1 a patriotic feelings, principles etc b an extreme form of this; chauvinism. 2 a policy of national independence.

27/02/2013 at 11:30

I hit send too soon, sorry.  I hope this helps.

Does it help with the discussion if people are proud of the heritage of their birthplace?  Could that be what they mean?

27/02/2013 at 11:58

I don't feel 'proud' to be from the town I was born and raised in, nor do I feel proud to be from the town I've lived in for most of my adult life.

On the other hand, although there is a LOT wrong with the town that I live in, if someone is negative about it, I do tend to point out the positive aspects! 

1 to 20 of 33 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.