People who stop you in the street..

21 to 30 of 30 messages
03/09/2012 at 14:09

Without prosecutions it won't work, I might just make an automated response, 

If you're offering me Solar power, or Carbon certificates press 1

If you offering me a Law Suit against my bank, or missold PPI press 2

If you think I've been in an accident press 3

If you think I'm daft enough to click your Phishing link press 4

For all other stupid sales techniques please wait for an Operator.

03/09/2012 at 14:52

As a former telephone chugger (quit after 3 days due to high pressure techniques we had to use) I would say always walk straight past anyone with a clipboard who is campaigning for a charity.

This is how it it works.

1. They ask you to sign up for £12 a month.

2. If you say no they will try to get you to sign up for £8 a month.

3. If you still say no they will try to sign you up for £5 a month.

4. Once you have signed up you will be telephoned once a month to persuade you to increase your donation.

DO NOT GIVE THEM ANY DEATAIL!!!!!!!!!!

You will never get rid of them. Even if you are telephone preference registered you can still be legally cold called by charities, or rather companies paid vst amounts of money to fundraise for them. In some cases these fund raising companies are paid over half a million pounds to carry out the fundraising campaign.

03/09/2012 at 15:12

It's illegal for charities to cold-call people who are TPS-registered.

Edited: 03/09/2012 at 15:13
03/09/2012 at 15:15

When I worked for a certain fund raising company we were told that it is legal to cold call people TPS registered people on behalf of charities. TPS only applies to sales calls.

03/09/2012 at 15:20

Depends on how long ago that was, but it's illegal now.  The TPS web site makes that clear.

The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) is a free service. It is the official central opt out register on which you can record your preference not to receive unsolicited sales or marketing calls. It is a legal requirement that all organisations (including charities, voluntary organisations and political parties) do not make such calls to numbers registered on the TPS unless they have your consent to do so.

03/09/2012 at 15:24

That was at the end of June this year.

03/09/2012 at 15:33

That text was taken from the TPS' site just now.  You may well have been lied to.

03/09/2012 at 15:37

It always came up on the screen whether they were TPS registered, or not, but we were told that it was legal to call them. Anyway, I got out after 3 days because of the immoral way that they pressured people for donations.

03/09/2012 at 17:56

TPS worked for me.  Nobody ever ccalls me know unless it is someone who I ahve given my number to, like the utilities company.

Some of you might have heard my week from hell about a month ago.  I was living in a budget hotel as my accommodation hadn't been sorted, starting a new job and relocating to a part of the country I had never even been to, having to live out of a suitcase, then my car broke down and my cat died.

And then I was stopped in the street by someone asking for money.  I told them that now wasn't a good time.  They persisted so I told them my cat had died and pulled a face that implied I was about to cry as I carried on walking.  He shouted after me 'I'm sorry' to which I replied 'Did you kill her then?'

03/09/2012 at 18:10

This is how to deal with tele-sales!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 30 of 30 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.