Pistorius will be in the Olympics...

Hmmmm.......

21 to 28 of 28 messages
05/07/2012 at 21:40

I have heard of non disabled people involving themselves in various wheel chair sports.  What if a non disabled person beat David Wier in a wheelchair race, We all disregard Joshua Cassidy's 1:18 marathon time, because he used a wheel chair.  Hey it's just a question!  Personally, it would never even cross my mind to put on a wheelchair before I went for a run.

05/07/2012 at 21:43

In fact, if I were disabled, I might not have the strength to get out of bed in the morning.  So, respect to all disabled athletes and huge respect to all you para-olympians.

Dark Vader    pirate
05/07/2012 at 21:45
King Kong wrote (see)

I have heard of non disabled people involving themselves in various wheel chair sports.  What if a non disabled person beat David Wier in a wheelchair race, We all disregard Joshua Cassidy's 1:18 marathon time, because he used a wheel chair.  Hey it's just a question!  Personally, it would never even cross my mind to put on a wheelchair before I went for a run.

Hey..  now that's an interesting thought...  so...  what if, for example, an able-bodied javelin thrower sat in a wheel chair and competed against a genuinely disabled javelin thrower...  and the able-bodied guy beat him and broke a world record...   would it count..?

05/07/2012 at 22:02

I can totally dig the inclusive ideal of able bodied people using a wheel chair to play basketball with the disabled, and I'm sure it's great fun!  It must be a fantastic affirmative and bonding experience for both groups. 

Oscar Pistorias, taking part in able bodied olympics, is somewhere else, without his blades, fine.  There is a deeper question here about why Oscar wants to do it, why he feels that a para-olympic gold is less valid than an olympic gold (more likely bronze or nothing at all), and why that is such a difficult question to the people that access this forum who in thier vast majority are able bodied.

05/07/2012 at 22:03

Are there any able bodied wheel chair basket-ball players out there?  I'd love to hear from you.

05/07/2012 at 22:24
The Science thing is a total red herring. When a race is won or lost on 0.01seconds or even less then how can any evidence be so accurate to be of any use. Common sense reasoning is a much better guide. Level playing fields are created by everyone having the opportunity to use the same gear. As KKong says, whats so wrong with winning a gold in the paraolympics?
05/07/2012 at 22:31

NLR where did you come from?  Are you feeling yourself?

06/07/2012 at 09:36
Sorry I had to shoot off to watch Johnny Rotten on QT.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 28 of 28 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.