'Plus size' clothes for 3yr olds from M&S.

1 to 20 of 131 messages
kittenkat    pirate
10/11/2010 at 09:39

Health campaigners said the decision by the High Street giant demonstrated the scale of the obesity epidemic affecting Britain's "overindulged" children, with one in four children now classed as obese or overweight by the time they start primary school.

Here....

Thoughts?

10/11/2010 at 09:48

All M&S clothes are cut for overweight people anyway these days so why not the kids clothes.   

kittenkat    pirate
10/11/2010 at 09:52

But what's the message it's giving out?

Ah ok, your child is unhealthily obese, let's just facilitate that, we can make some profit from this after all!

??

Or not?

It just seems that our ever expanding waistline is accepted in society... Shhhhhhhhh..... Don't say or do anything about it, it might offend someone....

10/11/2010 at 10:00

If people are overweight then there's no reason why they shouldn't be allowed to buy clothes that fit them.   I can see why some kids might struggle to fit into the waist of some clothes.  

My youngest daughter sometimes needs to buy an age up but she's only very slightly overweight (in my eyes - most people would probably say she's not at all) - I mean she won the city schools cross country for her age by a fair distance the other week and she's just been asked to have trials for the Derby County academy for girls so she's not unfit just typical build of a modern kid (her twin brother meanwhile still wears age 6/7 trousers and he's 9).  

Yes I think there is a problem with weight in this country - I could do with shifting a bit to get back to racing weight myself - but not sure it's up to clothes retailers to solve it.    

10/11/2010 at 10:36
kittenkat wrote (see)

But what's the message it's giving out?

Ah ok, your child is unhealthily obese, let's just facilitate that, we can make some profit from this after all!

??

Or not?

It just seems that our ever expanding waistline is accepted in society... Shhhhhhhhh..... Don't say or do anything about it, it might offend someone....

capitalism innit?

Not saying it is right though

10/11/2010 at 10:38

I think more needs to be done to redress the problem but I guess M&S have seen a gap in the market and these kids do need clothes to wear in the meantime. 

Doesn't help that they are cutting sports funding for schools I suppose.

Mini C is 3 in Jan and still in 12 to 18 month clothes so we are the other end of the scale! 

kittenkat    pirate
10/11/2010 at 11:33
popsider wrote (see)

My youngest daughter sometimes needs to buy an age up but she's only very slightly overweight

But that's very different to adding plus sizes to already generous cuts...... A plus size at 3 is surely a big red light that there's a serious health problem already in the making?

I mean norman range to me includes kids of all shapes and sizes but i personally think this is a bit beyond that. I could be in the minority in this thinking, I suppose as a nation as we get bigger we alter our perception of what's normal?

I don't know....

I just hate to see children out of breath after trying to exercise for 5 minutes, yes it's that bad.. 5 mins of not overly taxing stuff.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
10/11/2010 at 11:41
I agree, KK. Unfortunately in this age of gameboys, Ipods, vids, etc, fewer and fewer kids are exercising at all and they don't get much at school either. Nightmare vision of future generations hooked up to machines that do everything for them - some of  the classic sci-fi writers may have seen truly? Discuss.
10/11/2010 at 11:45
lol - dontcha just love how people's random prejudices just pop out with all the others?

"This is about middle-class children being overindulged and carried everywhere in 4x4 cars"

When my daughter was overweight we only had a clapped out Citroen Xsara. I'm baffled.
10/11/2010 at 11:50

I can't imagine how a properly fed three year old gets to be obese. The ones I see regularly are never still! Persuading a toddler to walk when it can run is futile, similarly you can't get them to stop playing ponies or skipping, or just generally burning off pretty much all they eat.

That there are tubby 3 three year olds is quite sad and although it's a cliche, a fat toddler is really the fault of the parents.  We had health visitors when we were kids (one of whom had my brother referred to a dietician because he wouldn't eat and was technically malnurished) who kept Mums on the straight and narrow. I guess they're a thing of the past now, like "going out to play".

bburn plO.dder    pirate
10/11/2010 at 12:20

Both jnr plodders do loads of sport and dance and are definitely not fat or obsese.

However, they are very different. I have one girl (age 10) who is very slim and petite (even could be described as skinny), and has always had a smallish appetite and makes naturally healthy choices for herself.

On the other hand, my youngest girl (age 6) is quite stocky and is tall & well built for her age. When she was born she was in 95 percentile for weight and height - and has remained so.

But the youngest left to her own devices would eats loads of junk food. She loves it!

I have had to learn to say no and stick to it. I honestly believe that if I didn't she would be overweight. 

IMO, the ability of parents to say NO to their children, and educate them into health food choices and exercise is at the crux of the problem.

Nam
10/11/2010 at 12:24

I don't know about the remits for health visitors and any restriction placed upon them by their employers in terms of what they can or can't address.  Would be interesting to hear...

Only wondering because my friend is a senior reg in a dental hospital.  They often get small children where ALL teeth have to be removed under GA due to severe caries (as a direct consequence of lack of oral hygiene in the home and free access to pop and sweets).  However the Trust has explicit guidance over what the dentists can say and they must not say anything whatsoever that the parent could misconstrue or could be an implied criticism of parenting.  So it basically goes completely unchallenged, as the dentists don't want to take the risk of complaints.

10/11/2010 at 12:30

WRONG.

10/11/2010 at 12:33

Up to a certain point (or age more specifically), it's the parents fault.

Until that child can decide for themself - because they have an understanding of the connection between poor food choices and being overweight/having health issues, then the only ones to blame are the parents who are clearly abusing them by feeding them food that's not giving them any nutritional benefits and stunting their natural growth and development.

kittenkat    pirate
10/11/2010 at 12:34
Nam wrote (see)

I don't know about the remits for health visitors and any restriction placed upon them by their employers in terms of what they can or can't address.  Would be interesting to hear...

Only wondering because my friend is a senior reg in a dental hospital.  They often get small children where ALL teeth have to be removed under GA due to severe caries (as a direct consequence of lack of oral hygiene in the home and free access to pop and sweets).  However the Trust has explicit guidance over what the dentists can say and they must not say anything whatsoever that the parent could misconstrue or could be an implied criticism of parenting.  So it basically goes completely unchallenged, as the dentists don't want to take the risk of complaints.

I think it's ridiculous, there are different ways to neglect kids health and cause physical or emotional sufferance and yet some are socially acceptable to address and some aren't.

If you walked into A%E with a child with concussion and a black eye, you have to have a very adequate and accurate explanation of how that injury came about, otherwise it will be flagged by health care professionals...

And yet an obese kid with teeth falling out.....

10/11/2010 at 12:45

The trouble my Mum had with social services because of my brother, because he wouldn't eat, drove her demented, but this was back in the 70s. My brother's eldest daughter barely eats too but my Mum urged my sister-in-law to make sure she kept the GP informed about my nieces lack of appetite, before someone decided they were starving her etc etc.

I have a very good friend with two small children. She's told them that everything other than fruit and veg is a special treat (a bit extreme), but I've seen the two of them have toast and cereal for breakfast and then once the adults tuck into a full English, demand some of that too.  This is a nice middle class family who have swallowed (pardon the pun) whole the idea that you can't say no to children, that you can't shout at them, that you mustn't oppress the little darlings. As a result, I find I can't stand to spend any time with them, which is a shame.

10/11/2010 at 12:49

I do not think it right that we should be increasingly seeing obesity as being normal or healthy or acceptable.

I'm not talking about a little bit overweight or being slightly larger than one would like - I do mean being overweight to the extent that ones health starts to suffer.

I don't know what the answer is - calorie free food that tastes yum.

10/11/2010 at 12:51

Hasn't it been proven now that you can't exercise off junk food though? (not just the calories - that there are certain 'poisons' within junk food that stay within your system?)

kittenkat    pirate
10/11/2010 at 12:58
AllNewTB wrote (see)

This is a nice middle class family who have swallowed (pardon the pun) whole the idea that you can't say no to children, that you can't shout at them, that you mustn't oppress the little darlings. As a result, I find I can't stand to spend any time with them, which is a shame.

I hate that with a passion.

There's a book called 'The Spoilt Generation' by Dr Aric Sigman.

Here's the blurb:

In the space of a few decades the way we parent has changed dramatically. Somnething we once did intuitively has become the subject of political fashion, guided by experts.

The result? Our children - right across society - are now spoilt in ways that go far beyone materialism. They have been given so much in terms of legislation, rights and experience, yet they are suffering unimaginably, with rates of child depression, underage pregnancy, obesity and pre-teen alcoholism the highest since records began.

By removing boundaries and retreating from authority, we adults have, it seems, failed our children, robbing them of their basic supporting structures.

10/11/2010 at 13:03
Devoted2Distance wrote (see)

Hasn't it been proven now that you can't exercise off junk food though? (not just the calories - that there are certain 'poisons' within junk food that stay within your system?)

Go read the thread Twinkie Diet - I'll think you'll find that's wrong.
http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=4&UTN=167784&last=1&V=7&SP=

AllNewTB - I was a very poor eater as a child - I wouldn't touch school meals for starters. I used to hide during lunch break but soon realised that no one noticed if I skiped lunch. Started at primary school and carried on til I left school. Still don't do lunch or breakfast. Drove my mother to distraction. Only real cure was to put me in the kitchen and let me do the cooking.

Edited: 10/11/2010 at 13:04
1 to 20 of 131 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.