Race prices

21 to 37 of 37 messages
08/11/2011 at 12:38

It's still possible to find races that are organised by clubs or other not-for-profit organisations.

A few well-organised local ones to me are:

A 10k organised by the PTA of a school.  Local businessed sponsor the event.  Entry is £13, which seems a bit steep but It's a a good race and there's a village fete at the same time.

A half mara organised by the Rotary club, again sponsored by local businesses, with money raised going to charity.  £20 to enter.

A 10k organised by a running club - £9 entry.

A 15 miler organised by another running club - £15.

10 miler organised by a local hospice, who also organised a successful triathlon recently.

5k organised by a different hospice.

That's within a radius of about 6 miles, and there are others.  There's a series of races on summer evenings (and Boxing day) which are a quid to enter.

I think local, volunteer-organised races are alive and well, and should be supported.

08/11/2011 at 12:43
Wilkie wrote (see)

I think local, volunteer-organised races are alive and well, and should be supported.

Definitely, if they are available.  Local to me, unfortunately, there are less and less of them because as demand increases for the few there are, the organisers find it gets too much, and they hand it over to a dedicated events organisation.

But we do have a new Parkrun now, and as soon as I am able, I'll be taking part in those.

08/11/2011 at 13:53

I was thinking of this last week whilst watching the Great South on TV,  I think it's a fantastic race to run,  flat and fast (depending upon the wind!).   However I've now not run it in over 10 yrs,  it was starting to get busier then and if I remember correctly the price had almost doubled from about £8 to £15 or something similar.

I personally think the VLM is great value at £28 for a standard race entry for what you get and what is put on.

I help organise a small scale marathon / 1/2marathon for a charity and we charge £20 for it.  It's point to point so this includes transport to the start,  3 drinks / food stations (can't beat a hot dog at 13 miles into a marathon) and plenty of tea and cake at the finish.   Finishers also get a technical t-shirt.
We rely on volunteers to help out but still manage to make some money out of the race in addition to any sponsorship that people raise.

08/11/2011 at 14:10

That what I do we raise money for the local schools / scout groups and we run them from villages that a realy finding it hard where the little shops and pubs are near closer so they love events and the money the runners bring.

08/11/2011 at 14:25

Jesus I thought the Great Manchester 10k was dear at £37...the British 10k price is a fcuking joke..absolutely scandalous.

Isn't that the one where you don't actually get a time?

08/11/2011 at 14:34
Simon Coombes 2 wrote (see)

Jesus I thought the Great Manchester 10k was dear at £37...the British 10k price is a fcuking joke..absolutely scandalous.

Isn't that the one where you don't actually get a time?

It was - not sure if they've sorted that out now.  In the first few races, only the first 200 times were recorded.

It was also one where a friend of mine never got her race pack (early years) and couldn't get in touch with the organisers to find out how to resolve it.  Considering she was travelling 700 miles to run it, it was a bit of a shambles.

08/11/2011 at 14:35
Wilkie wrote (see)

They are using volunteers, and making a huge profit?  Perhaps they should be paying the volunteers?

The volunteers do get payment of a sort at GSR - one technical jacket worth over £20 per volunteer.  My running club provides 50 volunteers just for two of the water stations.  By the time you add the volunteers for the other water stations, the finish line, the start line, the marshals, the lead bikes and everyone else that is quite a bit of money to find.  That is one of the things that I think the money is wasted on.  There are other areas of wastage that I could comment on, but I really don't want to get angry about it.
08/11/2011 at 15:52
I don't think money spent on protecting (and rewarding) the volunteers by giving them a jacket is money wasted. The organisers do have a responsibility for them even though they're volunteers, so giving them a little something is no bad thing, and it might mean they'll come back next year. And I dare say there are branding considerations as well - I remember trying to squeeze a Lucozade Sport t-shirt over all my clothes and a large weterproof jacket at a London Marathon drink station one year as it was raining and freezing cold but we had to keep the branding visible.
08/11/2011 at 16:14
I understand what you are saying BOTF, but there are cheaper ways of doing it,  That jacket is the best quality jacket I own, and there is no advertising on it - just a small logo.  I'm actually very pleased with it, but I don't think that it is necessary to bribe volunteers with a jacket.  We get our volunteers by providing them with a fun day out and putting on social activites afterwards which cost nothing.
cougie    pirate
08/11/2011 at 16:15
Caz do you think the money is wasted though ? Would they get enough volunteers turning out to help a business make a profit if the volunteers didnt get anything ? If its a charity, fair enough, but not sure about a private business.

(if so then I see a spectacular business plan emerging)
08/11/2011 at 16:29

I'm happy to volunteer to help out with my club's races for free and would do the same for a charitable event, but if they're making a hefty profit then I'd expect payment in some way for my time.

I do wonder if there'd be any mileage ('scuse the pun), now that Parkruns are so commonplace, of having some of them as 10k's?

08/11/2011 at 16:35
XFR Bear wrote (see)

I'm happy to volunteer to help out with my club's races for free and would do the same for a charitable event, but if they're making a hefty profit then I'd expect payment in some way for my time.

That was my thinking - it's a business, and if it's making a huge profit then they CAN afford to pay marshals, water-station helpers, etc. 

I've voluntarily helped out at races for free (well, a t-shirt!), because they were organised by a running club. 

I wouldn't do it for a business whose sole reason for putting the race on was to make a profit.  For that I'd expect to be paid.

08/11/2011 at 16:52
Agree with you on not helping out if the race is run as a business Wilkie !

I have run some races where the value in the entry fee is there for everyone to see, like the Maidenhead Easter 10 and Woodcote 10k.

I did do race once where you got a mug at the end of the race and you had to dunk it in a big black bin full of tap water to get your drink ! Still got the mug though !

FH
seren nos    pirate
08/11/2011 at 17:44

I think we must be lucky in south wales because most of the running clubs organise races during the year and are great value for money.........a lot of them have gone off road now or found unusual routes.......

the running clubs also organise a series of cross country and summer league races that are free.............so i rarely do big organised events........the half and full marathon in llanelli will be some but they are reasonable...........

09/11/2011 at 09:11
XFR Bear wrote (see)

I do wonder if there'd be any mileage ('scuse the pun), now that Parkruns are so commonplace, of having some of them as 10k's?

I would doubt very much that that will happen. Paul is very focussed on keeping it simple and it staying as what it is now. That's not to say that some of the individual events won't put on other races - we've  put on the South Bucks 10k for the last 2 years to raise funds for the Black Park parkrun.
09/11/2011 at 14:00
If people are happy to pay £40-£50 for a 10k, that's fine for them.  I'll stick to my parkrun and well-run races like the Sodbury Slog, where for £16 (I think that's what it was for me as an unafiliated runner) you get a great race, a long-sleeved t-shirt and one of the best goody bags I've had in terms of its usefulness (mostly edible!).
09/11/2011 at 14:09
I guess if the Park Runs started doing 10k's maybe once a month then they'd start to take away from local races.  At least round where I live there aren't many other 5k's around (I'm struggling to think of one that's measured).  Being near where the Park Runs started, it's amazing how they've spread over the last couple of years

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 37 of 37 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.