Radcliffe might not run again

Hammered from all sides

21 to 40 of 46 messages
28/03/2013 at 10:08

i used to have the same view of Paula as i do about the England football team.  In the major competitions there was always hype about winning it but come the crunch she/they always fell short with a plucky loser story to justify exit.  there was no doubting her class but she just didnt do it enough in the major championships

Of course you then look at har achievements away from the championships and she lived upto to her hype and dominated.

She will be considered one of our best every female athletes and rightly so.

28/03/2013 at 10:25
Tom. wrote (see)
SG - Radcliffe should be an inspiration to all us plodders .What she lacked in natural ability she made up for in sheer determination, application and hard work. I doubt that her world best will survive much longer, but viewed in the context of it's time it's a landmark performance.

.....on the other hand you need to get your head out of your arse re the Scott Overall comments, LD, who is the second funniest poster on the RW forum, after the legendary Moraghan is just having a laugh. Read his other post and smile!

Right: back in me box for another sixmonths

Fair enough on the 2nd part, but you think Radcliffe's records will go shortly? 2nd best recorded is almost 3mins away?

28/03/2013 at 11:28

No great surprise that Radcliffe is hanging up her running shoes. That foot injury has been bothering her for ages and the surgery was pretty much a last throw of the dice. With or without it, she'd peaked a while back, so was unlikely to match her feats of 10 years ago now, at the age of 39.

As for the vitriol by the "commentators" on the BBC site, well the internet is full of fat losers, sat in their piss stained pants tapping away, ever-ready to vomit their hateful bile over any given subject, just desperate to be noticed. welcome to the Information Superhighway.

28/03/2013 at 11:30

and i think it'll still be a few years before radcliffes world record goes. Isn't Mary Keitany off having a bairn?

28/03/2013 at 11:33
AgentGinger wrote (see)

the internet is full of fat losers, sat in their piss stained pants tapping away, ever-ready to vomit their hateful bile over any given subject, just desperate to be noticed. welcome to the Information Superhighway.

Are you stalking me?

28/03/2013 at 11:53

sorry Lardarse, not you obviously, if i meant you i would've said "sweat stained", as I'm sure you're not yet incontinent

28/03/2013 at 12:31

Paula's WR marathon takes some thinking about. 

An average mile pace of a shade under 5:10. That's the average.

Now if anyone wants to beat that record they can't afford to warm up and play safe for a few miles. Just a mile or two of 5:25's will put it out of reach.

A record of pure nerve. She just blasted the pace from the gun and ran out of road before she ran out of energy.

I think the last mile was calculated at 4:48!

28/03/2013 at 12:33

and how she ever ran so fast with that head wobbling all over the place like David Gray singing Babylon, I'll never know.

28/03/2013 at 13:29

I think you should swap the "sweat" with "spunk".

28/03/2013 at 13:41

From being an almost there, Paula moved to the marathon and set her miraculous almost 3 minutes faster record in 2002, she also had a very good 2003. Yet she had a terrible race in Athens 2004 and never really came back.

The furore over Lance Armstrong's EPO and blood doping rung a bell about time frames...I'll just leave this here....

"In 2004, a test for detection allogeneic/homologous blood transfusion doping was implemented".

Link didn't work..

Edited: 28/03/2013 at 13:43
28/03/2013 at 13:43

..still doesn't..

28/03/2013 at 13:48

I'm pretty sure her World Record is one of the best Athletic performances of all time... I don't think even Keitany will be able to get within 2 minutes of it judging by how fast she died when she went out at 2:16 pace last year.

All down to incredible hard work, if I remember correctly she was putting away consistent 140 mile weeks for years and then doing hours a day of cross training on top.

It would have been good to add the medals to that, but her Marathon major performances speak for themselves.

28/03/2013 at 13:50

When you see athletes get faster as the years go on, and see a record that hasn't even come close to being matched 10years later you do think one of 2 things. 1) That she was truly remarkable, best there's ever been, or 2)maybe something dodgy?

Would be gutted if it wasn't number 1.

If she'd been Chinese, I'm certain people would have been all over it with doubt.

28/03/2013 at 14:15

For the record I believe in her... but sadly I also believed in Lance, another athelete who trained incedibly hard and put in astonishing performances.

28/03/2013 at 14:52

She's always been anti-drugs. Mrs Lough would never cheat - ever!

28/03/2013 at 14:54
Whoa Paula was and still is so anti drugs it would be the biggest hypocrisy ever. like it has been said Paula's performance came from years and years of stupid mileage and luck. its not like she just appeared out of nowhere. she was winning 5000's & 10000`s outside of major championships for years before moving up to the marathon. I think her problem in major championships came from wanting it too much and pushing to hard. her training for major cities was considerably less than for for major championships.

lance while being good before cancer, post cancer he just took off. he was accused time after time to be doping. don't think anyone ever accused Paula of doping.
28/03/2013 at 15:01

I tend to trust unless proven otherwise. It would be horrible if she wasn't clean.

28/03/2013 at 15:06

As a slight aside - did anyone notice that Denise Lewis appeared to absolutely loathe Radcliffe at the recent indoor championships in Gothenburg?  Anytime Radcliffe spoke, Lewis looked like she wanted to rip her head off.

Is there a story there that I've missed...??

On topic - Radcliffe's WR performance was incredible.  Shame that she didn't manage to reach the heights at major championships.

28/03/2013 at 15:14

At risk of being one of the aforementioned, urine-stained, fat gobshites who hurl vitriol at people I don't know... I always thought Denise Lewis came across as a very cold person. Of course, I am probably very wide of the mark, and even if she is, a lot of very focused people come across like that.

28/03/2013 at 15:23

that's very mild for vitriol, Peter

I've seen Michael Johnson come across as nice as pie sometimes, then pretty cold and blunt others. I think people at the sharp end of sport can be focused to the point of appearing emotionless at times.

21 to 40 of 46 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.