Radio Worcestershire

Your weekday 'magazine' programme from Worcsetershire

96,201 to 96,220 of 96,827 messages
Mighty Lexi    pirate
31/03/2012 at 21:14
I think its in the mind if you think your going to be seasick....then the calmest of ocean liners wont make one Iota. . Nope....give me a plane journey anytime.... Besides problem ships have been in the news far too often for me to step on board....!!!
31/03/2012 at 21:20

Well it's funny you say that, I've been on ferries to Ireland before and that Irish Sea was right choppy and I was fine.  It was Dover to Calais where I went a funny colour.  It didn't make any sense at all!

31/03/2012 at 21:27

Hello

When I did the Dublin marathon our original ferry was cancelled because of rough weather. The one we got on had waves breaking against the windows at the top of the ship. I enjoyed the bumpy ride, some of my club mates didn't though - they looked very green.   

Scenic six x-country for me tomorrow.

Mighty Lexi    pirate
31/03/2012 at 21:42

Good luck Ant.

We use to cross to the Outer Hebrides to Mum's homeland. I would dread the crossing. However one occasion Mum's cousin was ships Captain..i got to steer the boat on my own after instruction (and first officer below to keep an eye on me), I felt fine, was concentrating so much on not veering off course. Perhaps thats the answer....ask to steer the boat.!!!

31/03/2012 at 21:50

Lexi - which island?

I had to go to Benbecula once for work, it reminded me of Craggy Island off Father Ted. 

31/03/2012 at 22:13

Good luck tomorrow, Ant.

A sportive for me.

We crossed to Ireland on a 2 hour delayed crossing and the subsequent 24hrs worth of crossings were all cancelled.  That one was interesting.  I couldn't work out if it was rolling more backwards and forwards or side to side.  It was a night crossing though and we had a cabin so I slept for most of it.

Night night.

01/04/2012 at 14:38

Afternoon all!

Mouse - hope the sportive went ok.  I did miss the earlier invites   But I'll run away anywhere with you Mouse

Ant - enjoy the Scenic Six - that's a "nice" race that one.....

I am procrastinating instead of doing my essays!

01/04/2012 at 16:36
Hello

The scenic six went ok. I've done it faster and slower.

I would say I'm the king of procrastinators but I really must do something else first.
Mighty Lexi    pirate
01/04/2012 at 21:42

Ant....re which Island....Isle of Barra. Then the next year we would visit relatives on the Isle of Harris.

Evening everyone else. At least your run was injury free Ant.

I and fellow compatriots of BMI Boot Camp, went up Snowdon, up the pig track. Young Lewys and i headed off into the distance, his Dad (instructor) radio'd * slow down wait for the rest of us...do 5 press-ups whilst waiting*. We did 10 much to the amusement of fellow walkers. Finally getting fed up of waiting, we pushed on and reached the summit cafe 40 minutes before the others. On the way down we headed for the miners track as we had come up the pig track. A guy quickly passed us on the way down, so we chased, jumping from rock to rock, he was saying how fast he had gone up, then said *Your quite good at this* I replied *No am good at running* as i descended slightly quicker than him. He carried on the pig track as we dropped down to the miners which was more level. We waited by the Lake and i put my jacket in my rucksack, we then started to jog as it was level, stony but level. However, my rucksack bounced up and as i went to grab it with one hand i lost my footing and down i went....my knee is now the size of a balloon with a nice cut in the middle, my arms took a bashing but not as bad. I drove home, but each gear change had to pull my leg up as it wouldn't bend.... Yup i can honestly say...it F*$>ng Hurts. How stupid could i have been....i have a race in 4 weeks and am suppose to be doing speed work....just not down a bloody mountain head first...

02/04/2012 at 08:48

mortnfgvd all

All this talk of ferries and seasickness is making me feel a bit queasy. I'm a bit susceptible to it - even the 30-minute crossing from Mallaig to Skye has got me feeling pretty dodgy at times. Mind you, I managed the trip on a smaller ship to Rum and Canna last year without feeling too bad.

My summer holiday this year may involve no ferries at all, now the parents have sold the house on Skye. Or it may involve a 6-hour ferry trip if they manage to sell up on the mainland and move to Orkney.

Hope all those employed in the educational sector are enjoying their Easter holidays.

02/04/2012 at 08:53

Lexi - so you survived the downhill boulder-hopping but came a cropper on the flat?!

Mighty Lexi    pirate
02/04/2012 at 09:04

SVT...Tell your in-laws you draw the line traveling all the way to Orkney for a piece of fudge

Yes i fell on the flat....am just off to Casuality......Doc Surgery suggested from the swelling i possibly need it Xraying....... Waddever.....!!!!! All's i know its ferkin sore, and bigger than a football.....looks like i have a sick note not to train..........

Morning everyone else.....

back later..........................I maybe gone sometime.!!!

02/04/2012 at 09:22

Mornings and gruntwig to SVT.

Oh no! Lexi you poor thing.  Good luck at Casualty.  Take a book and sandwiches and a drink!

SVT - hadn't they not long moved to Skye?

I am at work, it's very quiet here.  I suspect that HL is at work today too, so we shall run off together tomorrow (or maybe the day after).

The sportive was good, but very hard.  My bum is sore today and my legs ache!

Crash Hamster    pirate
02/04/2012 at 09:24

Ah yes, the 'got away with the risky stuff then crippled myself on the easy bit' injury! My own dear wife once snapped her ankle on a climbing holiday when she slipped on the ice getting out of the car on the High Street...hope it's no worse than bruised, Lexers <crosses fingers>

Morning gentlefolk, corning SVT.

I am a rubbish seafarer, I get sick when I can't see the horizon. It sounds like your parents are taking this remote living malarkey to the nth degree, SVT!

Did I mention how chuffed I am that the rape is now in flower?

For Vinnie fans, I'm happy to report that he's still headbanging...

Crash Hamster    pirate
02/04/2012 at 09:27

I woke up with a headache yesterday (which is why I didn't race at the S6); went for a jogette later and there it was, a field full of those evil little yellow bastard flowers...ARGHHHHH!

Wonder how Mr A's half went?

02/04/2012 at 09:30

Ahhh yes.

I commenced the sportive and then almost immediately thought, I am in the country, there are those hawthorn type flowers (they smell like fish food to me) and this will be interesting later....

I got off the bike at the end sneezed fairly constantly from then until bed time. I had not a single anti histimine in the house and I now have a hooter that would rival Rudolf.

No idea why I don't sneeze on the bike though....

I have been to the shop and I do now have drugs!

02/04/2012 at 10:00
If Vinnie's still headbanging is it time to change his surname to Vincent?
Those little bastard yellow flowers are doing me in too.
Mouse, big red hooter to rival Rudolph the Reindeer or Nureyev? Is it cos you're mouth breathing on the bike so the pollen doesn't have as much opportunity to irritate your snitch?
Hope the knee heels soon Lexi , if it's that sore x-ray sounds like a good idea. Hope you're not hanging around too long.
Well Scenic Sixed Ant.
We crossed the channel on the day of the Fastnet Race in 1979, which apparently had 15 fatalities. I slept the whole way over, didn't know what all the fuss was about.
02/04/2012 at 10:25

morning world

ran half marafun yesterday; undulating/hilly course 1hr 51m, a season's best so can't complain.  Well, actually I can! was on course for 1hr 45 (ish) and then, at 9 miles, the bally achilles/calf began to hurt so had to slow the pace. feels fine this morning though

well sixed ant

02/04/2012 at 11:08

Morning all!

Oooh Lexi - poor you!  Having done the Miners and Pyg Track routes up/down Snowdon I admire your descent down to the Miners Track - I would have been very slow on that but poor you to fall over on the "flat" - hope not too much damage sustained!

ATOM - well done on completing the half.

I hate boats - am fine on any other mode of transport but really boats do my head in! 

I have written 1.5 essays out of 3, observed a tennis lesson and about to help take 7 excited 9 year old boys to a go-karting party!! Eek.

Mouse - no, I'm not at work today but I am at work tomorrow and Thursday - mind you we can run away together on Friday when I come to Bristol with HLad for tennis competition!! - He'll be able to find his own way home won't he?!

02/04/2012 at 11:37

Vinnie must be getting a sore neck by now.

Mouse - the Skye thing was fairly recent but they never properly moved there. With the proceeds from their house in Fort William they got a smaller house in Mallaig on the mainland. Then with the loose change they got another house on Skye, theoretically to rent out as a holiday home. But they're rubbish business people and never really did that so just ended up with two houses that they flitted between. At one point they wanted to live on Skye full time so put the Mallaig house up for sale. In the meantime they decided they weren't sure about Skye and have recently fallen in love with Orkney. So they've managed to sell the Skye house, still haven't sold the Mallaig house and are planning on moving to Orkney when they do sell.

Parents, eh? But it's okay, I've gone through all the travel options and found that the cheapest (i.e. a few hundred quid) route is to wake up at stupid o'clock, hammer it up to Aberdeen for 5pm, 6-hour ferry trip and then land on Orkney at just the right side of midnight. That'll be fun. Why can't they retire to Spain or Florida like reasonable people?!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.