Rats

10 messages
17/04/2013 at 19:24

i have a pet rat. they are quite entertaining beasts really, and much more fun than guinea pigs, who don't do owt.

17/04/2013 at 19:50
Can't see why you'd want to poison something living in the wild, in your house maybe
17/04/2013 at 19:53

I rat-sat for a friend. She worked in a science lab and looked after one or two after they'd finished experimented on them.  Mousse his name was.  Cute little fella, sort of like a hamster but with a bigger tail.  Caused us a bit of a problem when we accidentally let him out whilst there was ironing being done and he chewed a massive hole in my brother's Dunhill polo shirt.  Oops!

The only other thing which put me off the little blighter as a pet was the weak bladder.  If you let him crawl up your leg he'd leave a constant little trail of drips and dribbles.  Awww.  Is that normal?

17/04/2013 at 20:04
I like wild animals full stop, although I do get a little bit distrait about maggots and worms. If you live in the country it seems a bit mad to get upset about animals.

Having said that I've not seen a rat for ages. We have foxes, squirrels and bats to keep us entertained.
17/04/2013 at 20:27

Rat's are a pain (I have horses and hate seeing rats in the feed room) but I wouldn't put poison down unless the rat run was close to buildings. There's more chance that another animal would eat the poison and die a horrible death. (most rat poisons e.g. warfarin, cause blood thinning and a painful death from internal bleeding.)

17/04/2013 at 20:40

I have rats in my loft, and the buggers chew the insulation off power cables.

This can result in expensive call-outs to electricians, and at worst could cause a fire.

I poison and trap them, although they seem to have learned to avoid the traps.  They LOVE the poison, though I'm beginning to think they've grown immune to it 

17/04/2013 at 20:45

I have nothng against rats in the garden even in a urban area.  I think it is when they get into houses and do damage as described by Wilkie that they become a problem.  But then if we will make buildings so inviting for them then what can we expect?

17/04/2013 at 22:10

Agree with EKGO.

18/04/2013 at 07:13

Near or inside the houses yes...out there in the wild? why? You could end up poisoning other animals.

Wilkie: Rats do grow inmune to poison if you keep using the same one...well the next generations do but they reproduce so fast it looks like it.

18/04/2013 at 10:09

A guy brought a corn snake into school the other day. It was called kellog.

Nothing to do with rats, but thats me!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
10 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.