Read any good books lately?

401 to 420 of 679 messages
Ultra AJH    pirate
17/04/2009 at 19:00
Oooh Squishy I have read that, I really enjoyed it.
Aitch!    pirate
17/04/2009 at 20:07
I like the boy in the striped pyjamas

I just read some chick-lit as I was in the mood for it. I've got 'Mister Pip' to read next
17/04/2009 at 20:17

i didn't think the boy in the striped pyjamas was a kids book and really don't understand why it has been marketed as such

like squish said - i think kids would need all the bits expalining - like where the servant is really a doctor etc

i am reading "three men in a boat " it's hilarious

17/04/2009 at 20:19
i hated all the sex bits in bird song
but thought the descriptions of the nitty gritty of life in the trenches were excellent
gingerfurball    pirate
24/04/2009 at 10:15
Working my way through Val McDermid's books which inspired the tv show Wire in The Blood....having never seen the programme I thought i'd just give them a go. They are reasonably gruesome in a serial killer kind of way but excellent reading. 
24/04/2009 at 10:29

GFB - I've read all of them - brilliant and gruesome. 

Just finished reading Black, White & Gold - Kelly Holmes book - really enjoyed it.

Bedside table is currently littered with half a dozen marathon books, to which I am referring randomly!

28/04/2009 at 19:39

Lurks, I agree with Birdsong, the beginning was dull and I don't think he needed to go on for so long on that particular part of it, but the life in the trenches was very well portrayed. War books give me nightmares, but I do like to read them, it brings me back down to earth and makes me appreciate what we've got.

Never Let Me Go was quite good.

I've just read a Harlan Coben, lent to me by Debbo called 'Hold Tight' which was excellent. To be recommended. In fact, I've enjoyed most of his I've read.

28/04/2009 at 19:46

Finished The Handmaid's Tale last night. Never read it before and it was on 3 for 2 at Waterstones.

I read last thing at night, so some of the switching back and forth between times confused me, and the comment about naming the Aunts after home ec. products just passed me by totally! I'd read it again and it'll probably make much more sense then!

28/04/2009 at 23:39

Passage to Juneau by Jonathan Raban.

Not quite fnished yet but a great laid-back travelogue.

29/04/2009 at 00:12

Reading 'We need to talk about Kevin' - so far it's as dull as dishwater - which is strange as it was recommended to me by someone who is usually spot on with their recommendations...

I'll give it another 30 pages before it gets chucked in the "will read one day" sea chest.

29/04/2009 at 17:13
Corinthian, it's a bit of a weird book, but worth it in the end.
29/04/2009 at 17:18

"We need to talk about kevin" has a huge twist at the end my wife read it recently and loved it.

Just read "Booty Nomad" by Scott Mebus

Kinda of a love story for men, V funny!

gingerfurball    pirate
14/05/2009 at 11:15

Whatcha all reading now?

I've been reading a few val McDermid's books...they seem to run on a theme....serial killer, a bunch of lesbians, guts and gore. LOL

I'm going on my holidays in a week so am not reading the books i have in the house at the minute.  I've got the new Lee Child, a Nicci French novel and the latest V McD.

Any recommendations to tide me over till I go away?

14/05/2009 at 11:45

Have you tried Kate Atkinson's crime books? Just read When Will There Be Good News? and loved it.

Currently reading a Mark Billingham book which is quite good, plus rereading an old Georgette Heyer one

14/05/2009 at 12:59

Just finished The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. Another 3 for 2 at Waterstones and another one I liked a lot

There's a few references to a couple of well known books throughout it, but I've never read either of them, so they didn't spoil the twist in the end for me. I'm not sure I'd have got it even if I had read them

14/05/2009 at 13:04
I know it is sad but I love Harry potter. I am studying and reading big thick anatomy books all the time. So a gentle fun childrens book is about the most I can handle.
gingerfurball    pirate
14/05/2009 at 13:25

Little Nemo....I've just recently worked my way through the kate Atkinson books....loved them!

Kwilter....I've just ordered The Thirteenth Tale....looking forward to that!

14/05/2009 at 13:55
Hope you enjoy it GFB!
14/05/2009 at 14:13

Aitch: Just finished On Chisel Beach. Ian McEwan has a knack of writing so well that the story is made so much better, if you know what I mean? I must get some more of his books. Not as good as Enduring Love, but I enjoyed it.

Try "The Cement Garden"

Try "Black Dogs"

Try "First Love, Last Rites" too, if you like short stories. Some of those are good.

15/05/2009 at 08:53

I'm glad I stuck with 'We need to talk about Kevin'.  It was a slow burner and well worth the effort in the end.

In my lunchtime today I'll be starting 'The Death of Marco Pantani' by Matt Rendell.  I like biographies.

I'm also dipping into today for work purposes "Projecting Politics: Political Messages in American Films" Christensen, Terry and Peter J. Haas (2005).

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.